• Closet DLR fan

Valentine's Day trip - questions re: crowds, scrapbooking, etc.

So this year, my one day a year at Disneyland is going to be Valentine's Day next month! (I'm extra excited because it's also our four year anniversary as a couple!)
    I just have a few random questions which I know all the fabulous Micechatters are so adept at answering.

1 - Crowds! I looked at the threads about Valentine's Day from the past few years and it looks like it's not usually crowded, which I'm happy about, but this year it's on the Thursday right before the three-day President's Day weekend, and there's also some sort of martial arts convention at Disneyland that Saturday. Do I have to worry about early crowds from the holiday weekend? (We only ever go in October, so I've been very spoiled so far - I'm used to a pretty empty park.)

2 - Scrapbooking! This is my new obsession, and I already have paper and an album picked out for this trip, but of course I'd be happy to spend even more money on supplies at the park if there are any. Again, I looked up previous threads but they're all older and mostly people mentioned 50th-specific stuff. Now that the 50th is over, can I still buy Disneyland-specific scrapbooking stuff in either park? Which stores are going to be my best bet?

3 - Non-ride entertainment! I'm bummed that there won't be a Fantasmic showing the day we're there, but I did get to see it a few years ago. There's one Parade of Dreams showing at 7pm, which we're going to try to see since that's new to us. When there's only one parade scheduled, it begins up by IASW and goes down toward Main Street, right? Also, what else do you highly recommend for non-ride entertainment? (We only have one day for both parks, open to close, so unfortunately there's only time for the absolute best...)

4 - I want us to get a silhouette done while we're there - which place is that? Somewhere on Main Street, right?

Thank you in advance, you guys are so awesome!
    (And I have officially used up my quota of exclamation points for January.)

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Valentine's Day trip - questions re: crowds, scrapbooking, etc.

They do have generic scrapbooking supplies all of the time - paper, stickers, albums, punches... Emporium has a good supply.

The silhouette shop is on Main Street as you are going into the park on the right side. I think it is $7.50 for a single person.

• Minion

We are also going to be there that weekend. Usually President's Weekend is very busy. Typically any holiday weekend will be busy. We are going the 14th-17th. So Thursday and Friday usually aren't too busy. Saturday and Sunday are always busy and will be even busier with the holiday.

As for scrapbooking, try World of Disney, The Emporium, and also the Store right as you go through the entrance in Frontierland. These 3 have had the most scrapbooking stuff that I have seen. We've accumulated a ton of stuff on our trips.

As for Non-Ride Entertainment, Billy Hill and the HillBillies are very good. They are in the Golden Horseshoe (11:15am, 1:00pm, 2:35pm, 4:00pm, 5:15pm). Other than this and the Parade, there isn't anything else really worth watching at Disneyland. As for California Adventure, there is only Aladdin which is worth seeing. But, if you've seen it once, then I wouldn't recommend going again. Just my opinion though. Here is a link to the official Disneyland Calendar of Events for Valentines Day:

http://www.jpma.org/index2.cfm?secti...tent=Certified

The Silhouettes are on the right hand side of Main Street as PrincessY mentioned. You will know it is the right store because in the store window you will see Silhouettes of people. Hope this helps and I hope you have an amazing Anniversary and an Amazing Trip!

• Disneyland Addict

My husband and i went on Valentine's day one year. Swore never to do it again. Teenagers were making out in EVERY line. Annoying. (I thought we were going to see a conception a couple of times.) And it was quite busy which surprised us since it was a Wednesday.

• Minion

That's interesting Alias. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully it won't be busy, but if it is, what can ya do. Ha ha!

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

There's also some scrapbooking in Toontown at the Five and Dime (right to the left beside Roger Rabbit, behind the firehouse and such). It's at the end by the camera stuff.

The Aladdin show at DCA is fun. It takes a lot of time, though. So...

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Ohhh scrapbooking! Better yet Disney Scrapbooking! Yeah!

I usually buy the mickey hole punches from the parks and a few things like paper with disney designs in the parks. But I get most of my scrap stuff from Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Target. All have the disney 3d-ish stickers that are perfect for scrapbooks.

Also, collect as many brochures, papers, reciepts, anything that is free and up for grabs inside Disneyland with disney content on it.

Another idea, get scrapbook paper or cardstock paper and get some characters to sign them and put them in the books.

I'm loaded with ideas. Have fun with it
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Unused fast passes are good for the scrapbook as well because they have the date on them and are good if you are "theming" your favorite ride page.
    Foolish Mortal

• Former DL CM

doombuggy's Club 33 logo reminds me that Club 33 is having a special Valentines Day event. If the rumors are true that the club recently added a new block of members, I would expect there to be fairly good attendance at the event as this would be the first event for the new members. Probably a drop in the bucket in terms of total park capacity, but there do seem to be a number of factors that may make this a very busy VD 2008.

• Minion

We were there last Valentines Day, and plan to be there this one too.
    Last year it was a nice slow day at the park, and then Thursday was a bit busier. Friday was very crowded, as it is the start of the long weekend.
    Might be more busy this year because it's a Thursday.
    Have fun, we plan to!

• Disney Starved in AZ

The scrapbooking supplies at the parks are pretty good and you cannot find them anywhere else...

but to supplement what you find at the parks, you should try a local Joanns Fabric & Crafts store or Michaels (although Joanns has better selection) of Disney themed scrapbooking pages (the 12 x 12" size) and they have sales all the time 6 for 96 cents!! they have alot of different characters and princesses and several with just writing on them like "disney" "fun" "family" etc... they are definitely worth checking out!

have fun!

• A Weather Eye Open

I recommend studying up on the Fastpass tricks, as I have heard that the park can be a very popular destination for those who want to do something special on V Day. Also, trying eating at odd hours... big breakfast, lunch mid-afternoon, late dinner, plenty of snacks... it seems to help with the wait times for food.

If you only have one day, don't spend to much time wandering around DCA... the must-rides in there are Tower of Terror, California Screamin', and Soarin' Over California (Grizzly River Run is great only if it's warm). Must-sees would be Aladdin and Electrical Parade (provided it's running). Of course, you might not want to see or do all of those (especially if it conflicts with something in DL), but those are the ones that most people consider worth it.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

My FI and I's anniversary is Valentine's Day as well and we've spent a couple anniversaries at the park...and really weren't totally enthused. The first year we went for the day and were miserable with the crowds and such. We spent quite a bit of the day sitting infront of the castle people-watching (which was interesting because we saw quite a few proposals). The second time we braved V-Day, we had a room at the Grand Cal, and it was SO much more relaxed and enjoyable. We didn't feel trapped by crowds or anything. We were able to just chill.

I just hope you guys luck out with light crowds and a very romantic day!

As for scrapbooking, FPs and parking tickets always work nicely. I too am a scrapbooker and would always try to find ways to save things that comemorate the day, like the park map with the date on it. And my one pin purchase a year-a Valentine's Day pin. For some reason, having the date on there makes it more meaningful to me.

Anyway, I've written a novel. Have a fantastic time!