Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up When do you think they will "clean up" the Space Mountain issues that were discussed?

Does anyone know when Dland will repair the paint and various other damage reported in this week's Dland in picture reviews on MiceAge? There was graffiti, broken speakers and other various issues reported with Space Mountain. If anyone knows if any "officials" at Disneyland have been made aware of the situation and if they will be cleaning it up any time soon.

I think the readers of Micechat really offer a tremendous free service to the park, not only are we some of the parks best word of mouth marketers but we are constantly on the look out for Grafitti, broken show scenes and other issues that the maintenance department may not yet have been made aware of. Especially with the 100% turnover rates in many departments, there are not so many people who "care" enough about reporting the problems. I cannot think of too may companies that get this type of free services, marketing and facilities reporting for free, heck they make money of us doing this
    Last edited by CAspace; 01-27-2008 at 07:33 PM.

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: When do you think they will "clean up" the Space Mountain issues that were discus

Wow, blow up your ego why dont you? You think we miss the graffiti and broken stuff? Uhh, no. Stuff like graffiti is called in usually as soon as it is found. Sometimes it takes a day or two to fix it (ie, someone etched something into glass) or maybe they don't want to bring the chemicals out with guests in the area.

Heck, we had a problem in one of the ticket booths today. But they cant exactly drop everything maintenance is doing and have they come replace a pane of glass that they most likely have to ORDER. Yeah...

I do like the idea that there are people out there who would inform us if something is wrong or tagged and do it in a nice matter. I know that some people don't care. Heck, its gotten a little bad in some areas with tagging BACKSTAGE, but there are still more people here who care than you think.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

Re: When do you think they will "clean up" the Space Mountain issues that were discus

I care... *shyly raises hand* Yeah, its getting bad...and it is hard to go out of the way during a busy day to get things like graffiti and etchings repainted or replaced. We all can only hope that things are getting taken care of in their own time

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Minion

yeah I care too! But you gotta admit that the maintenance crews are not totally inundated with various issues. I mean take HISTA for example, the floor stops moving so you call maintenance. they come over walk around jump on the floor a few times and thats it! i guess what i'm tring to say is that maintenance and what not aren't as swift nor competent as the should be.
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 01-27-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: more stuff

• Yo!

While I know that people here care deeply for the parks, I think it's giving MC more credit than what it deserves in calling it a "free service" that Disney should thank us for. That's pushing it a little too far.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    Wow, blow up your ego why dont you? You think we miss the graffiti and broken stuff? Uhh, no. Stuff like graffiti is called in usually as soon as it is found. Sometimes it takes a day or two to fix it (ie, someone etched something into glass) or maybe they don't want to bring the chemicals out with guests in the area.

Heck, we had a problem in one of the ticket booths today. But they cant exactly drop everything maintenance is doing and have they come replace a pane of glass that they most likely have to ORDER. Yeah...

I do like the idea that there are people out there who would inform us if something is wrong or tagged and do it in a nice matter. I know that some people don't care. Heck, its gotten a little bad in some areas with tagging BACKSTAGE, but there are still more people here who care than you think.
    My Dear friend Autopia,
    I have since reworded my original post. I take it you work in Maintenance, thank you for your work. Of course the decisions of where to place resources and repairs are made by the upper management, so I am not intending to direct my questions or responses to you or your department but on the ones that issue the directives. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I know your busy and do your best and for that I say thanks, it's good to know there are people who still care on the inside of the berm (of course there are people who care but sometimes it seems like the company does not care for those people so they leave ) Hopefully that will change!

• =)

Yeah...it's pushing it to say we're providing a free service to Disney by complaining about things that they are already aware of...but I'm sure Space will be cleaned up sooner or later. I still have yet to see all the interior problems some of y'all have complained about--all I noticed when I was there in December was the terrible grubby appearance of the exterior.

There's just a lot of stuff to take care of around the resort. Work orders are in all the time. It just some time to get t everything.

I checked out this "glaring lack of maintenance" today. There are a couple patches in the queue with paint chipped off - we're literally talking 3 inches, in areas where your eyes don't even gaze. They were both acts of vandalism, and they will likely be fixed soon, probably during the week. The rockets have been squealing since last Spring, but it is obviously a simple cosmetic problem that would involve a considerable amount of downtime (Most people don't notice it unless they listen for it). Disney probably didn't expect this malfunction when they rebuilt the ride, and they'll surely close it to remedy the situation when it is deemed appropriate.

Space Mountain has been in fantastic shape since it reopened in July '05, and all of the effects were working perfectly today. I have seen projectors malfunction a couple times, and heard the ambient "power transfer" hill speakers crack, but they are always fixed within a week. The ride is nowhere near the pre-2003 dilapidation that the people posting pictures try to make it out to be. Was this another one of Darkbeer's picture reports? To take a bunch of macro pictures of things that are totally unnoticeable to guests does not merit a whole forum going nuts over an issue like this - minor areas of chipped paint have existed since 1955, it's what happens when you open the place up to the public. The park has not reverted to the Pressler/Harriss era by any means, and the constant emphasis of these insignificant things, which will surely be addressed by Disney very soon, completely demeans the Disney fan community. We got an exceptional management that focuses on great maintenance in 2004, and upkeep has not gotten any worse since Ouimet left. We won. Why keep complaining? This "watchdog" mentality is completely unfounded in 2008's Disneyland.
    Last edited by dl1955pounds; 01-28-2008 at 01:26 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by dl1955pounds View Post
    I checked out this "glaring lack of maintenance" today. There are a couple patches in the queue with paint chipped off - we're literally talking 3 inches, in areas where your eyes don't even gaze. They were both acts of vandalism, and they will likely be fixed soon, probably during the week. The rockets have been squealing since last Spring, but it is obviously a simple cosmetic problem that would involve a considerable amount of downtime (Most people don't notice it unless they listen for it). Disney probably didn't expect this malfunction when they rebuilt the ride, and they'll surely close it to remedy the situation when it is deemed appropriate.

Space Mountain has been in fantastic shape since it reopened in July '05, and all of the effects were working perfectly today. I have seen projectors malfunction a couple times, and heard the ambient "power transfer" hill speakers crack, but they are always fixed within a week. The ride is nowhere near the pre-2003 dilapidation that the people posting pictures try to make it out to be. Was this another one of Darkbeer's picture reports? To take a bunch of macro pictures of things that are totally unnoticeable to guests does not merit a whole forum going nuts over an issue like this - minor areas of chipped paint have existed since 1955, it's what happens when you open the place up to the public. The park has not reverted to the Pressler/Harriss era by any means, and the constant emphasis of these insignificant things, which will surely be addressed by Disney very soon, completely demeans the Disney fan community. We got an exceptional management that focuses on great maintenance in 2004, and upkeep has not gotten any worse since Ouimet left. We won. Why keep complaining? This "watchdog" mentality is completely unfounded in 2008's Disneyland.
    [bold mine]

I don't know how you couldn't hear it. The squealing is quite loud.

As for the queue damage - Space Mountain has had much of this same damage and vandalism for months now. I posted photos taken by our very own Fishbulb back in mid-December of Space Mountain's problems in a Dateline Disneyland update. Now, in late January- many of the same problems still exist.

I believe this still exists (these photos were taken back in December).

This part of the exit stairs has only gotten worse:

And the stairs themselves look worse than they did back in December, too.

I understand that wear&tear happens like this at Disneyland - especially in high-traffic attractions like Space Mountain. But its been like this for a long, long time now.

These aren't "macro-pictures" taken of areas that nobody sees - these are photos of things almost EVERYBODY passes whenever they visit this attraction. Frankly, it's bad show.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    [bold mine]

I don't know how you couldn't hear it. The squealing is quite loud.

As for the queue damage - Space Mountain has had much of this same damage and vandalism for months now. I posted photos taken by our very own Fishbulb back in mid-December of Space Mountain's problems in a Dateline Disneyland update. Now, in late January- many of the same problems still exist.

I believe this still exists (these photos were taken back in December).

This part of the exit stairs has only gotten worse:

And the stairs themselves look worse than they did back in December, too.

I understand that wear&tear happens like this at Disneyland - especially in high-traffic attractions like Space Mountain. But its been like this for a long, long time now.

These aren't "macro-pictures" taken of areas that nobody sees - these are photos of things almost EVERYBODY passes whenever they visit this attraction. Frankly, it's bad show.
    For what it's worth ... there are over 95 work orders in for that attraction right now. We do what we can with what we can. We are aware of the issues. Also, the squeaking will most likely be there for the rest of the future of that attraction.

• DL Nerd

I'll do it for a 4-day park hopper!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was actually that asteroid that is cloaked in darkness in the show building.

I actually think they could have it illuminated if the inserted lights inside the asteroid.

Space Mountain has vandalism. Actually, practically all of the attractions have some form of vandalism, mostly in the queues, with jerks scratching their name into a handrail or sticking gum under the bottom for unsuspecting guests.

A few months ago I had the great displeasure to see that someone had written in black sharpie on one of the PotC bricks inside the building. I made sure to inform a CM and that did get taken care of.

On the attractions, however, I think more could be done. I visited Friday and saw two gum and/or spitwads on one of the singing trio pirate's leg. I see gum/spitwads almost all over the attractions, and I see the same ones stay there for months on end. Really gross.

And seriously, where the heck are the PotC dog and the BTMRR goat? They've been gone for about half a year now. Bad show, considering that they're key AAs.

I do understand that maintenance is busy...but when you see the same crap in the same spots there for several months, you have to question what's actually being done, ya know?

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    When I read the title of this thread, my first thought was actually that asteroid that is cloaked in darkness in the show building.

I actually think they could have it illuminated if the inserted lights inside the asteroid.

Space Mountain has vandalism. Actually, practically all of the attractions have some form of vandalism, mostly in the queues, with jerks scratching their name into a handrail or sticking gum under the bottom for unsuspecting guests.

A few months ago I had the great displeasure to see that someone had written in black sharpie on one of the PotC bricks inside the building. I made sure to inform a CM and that did get taken care of.

On the attractions, however, I think more could be done. I visited Friday and saw two gum and/or spitwads on one of the singing trio pirate's leg. I see gum/spitwads almost all over the attractions, and I see the same ones stay there for months on end. Really gross.

And seriously, where the heck are the PotC dog and the BTMRR goat? They've been gone for about half a year now. Bad show, considering that they're key AAs.

I do understand that maintenance is busy...but when you see the same crap in the same spots there for several months, you have to question what's actually being done, ya know?

Dog's there... he's been every time I've gone this fall, and I last saw him on Saturday!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Dog's there... he's been every time I've gone this fall, and I last saw him on Saturday!
    Wrong dog. She's talking about the one next to the trio singing in the burning scene which has been gone for at least 8 months.

With Space, well there has been a ton of vandalism in there. Hope it gets fixed soon.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast