Disneyland Questions from WDW Veteran

Hi, I'm hoping some of the Disneyland experts can help me out. I'm a DVC member that regularly travels to WDW. We will be making a trip out to Disneyland from April 19-26th and it will be out first trip out since 2003. I have a bunch of questions....

1. Since the April entertainment calendar is not up on Disneyland's website yet, what do you think I can expect for evening fireworks/parades? I'm most interested in seeing the Electrical Parade again and Fantasmic. I figure the Believe fireworks will probably be running.

2. Is making dining reservations in CA as important as it is in FL? I'm someone who prefers an unstructured vacation and can't stand how it's impossible to get a dining reservation in FL these days. What's it like in CA?

3. I have two daughters (3 1/2 & 2 years old) who are in love with the princesses. What is the Princess Fantasy Faire like? Is it a come anytime type attraction or are there scheduled show times?

4. Is there any place outside of the Ariel's restaurant where you can meet Ariel?

5. Any must eat at restaurants in the resorts that are kid friendly? We'll have a party of 6 (4 adults, 2 kids)

Thanks for all your help.

I'm a long time reader of the forums but really never have time to post so I don't do it very often, but I love reading the Meet threads. It's weird how you almost feel like you kind of know everyone just be reading those things.

• Shubisha

Re: Disneyland Questions from WDW Veteran

1) EP and Fantasmic will both be running at least for weekends possibly daily. Believe has been gone for a few years now it's still Remember Dreams Come True from the 50th anniversary.
    2) No. If you want something like Blue Bayou you can make them the morning of but there's no 180 days in advance nonsense.
    3) Come anytime to stand in line for a photo op with 3 princesses(they rotate) and there's a little coronation ceremony show at scheduled times(posted times).
    4) Ariel has her own photo op place to the right of the castle by where the Triton fountain is.
    5) Not really, pick stuff you like. Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast is fun if they want a character dining experience.

Thanks almandot!

• =)

For number 5, the Blue Bayou is a MUST. Absolutely wonderful, beautiful, relaxing theming, with food that's...not bad. They do have a kids' menu for the children. My goodness, I love that place. If you're not aware, it's a restaurant situated across from Pirates' loading area. Both are situated inside a huge show building above the first half of POTC, with a black ceiling forming a perpetual night overhead. You seem to be dining on the back patio of an old Southern mansion, with colorful lanterns overhead and the back of the house visible. You're right next to a dark bayou where fireflies dance and bullfrogs croak and boats of people steadily float by, heading toward the unseen first drop in Pirates. It's very relaxing--it's truly an experience that feels good. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Just make sure none of your kids lose a balloon in there, because unlike the real world, it will not keep going up higher and higher till you can't see it!

• "I Break Things"

At 3 1/2 and 2 there really aren't any "must eat" locations I can think of except the Character Dining. To be honest Blue Bayou may be a bit formal... up to you. I would recommend the Rainforest Cafe in DTD though... that place if fun. Also House of Blues for the adult crowd.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

There is also the Gardenwalk restaurants which don't require reservations and are much better quality-wise than anything in the resort to keep in the back of your mind.

I don't advise taking children under 3 or 4 to the Rainforest Cafe. When my now 9 year old was that age the faux thunderstorm and the gorillas and monkeys really scared him.

• I'm not really here

At Ariel's Grotto restaurant, the princesses come around to your table to meet you while you eat. They take time for photos and will sign autographs. It's a lot of fun. There is also the Ariel meet and greet area in Disneyland just to the left of the entrance to Tomorrowland. If you go up towards the Matterhorn (the right side of the castle) you will see a little rock grotto area to the right up a path at the base of a Tomorrowland building.

Dining reservations are important, but they only do them 60 days in advance at Disneyland as opposed to the 120 at WDW. I recommend it for ANY dining you do at a sit down in the DLR just to be on the safe side.

The Princess Fantasy Faire works kind of like this: You wait in a "receiving line" and you meet 3 of the princesses in that line. It is random and it is always rotating depending on which princesses are doing the show at the time. When we went, we met Prince Phillip, Aurora and Belle in the line. Then after the line they rotated the princesses around and we saw Jasmine, Aurora and Belle in the little show they do while Snow White, Cinderella and Phillip were in the line. So you don't really get to pick who you meet. It's cute and and probably a lot of fun for kids, but I really don't care seeing it again. Best bet to meet them is Ariel's restaurant.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter