Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: New Monorail Station

I think many of the views of D.C.A. would be enhanced by reversing the direction of the monorail service. I would also like to see Disney experiment with on/off glass inside the cabins, so that backstage areas and parts of Harbor Boulevard could be obscured with liquid crystals.

In my conception, the trains would leave the current westernmost station and cross Disneyland Drive to enter the Grand Californian. The trains would emerge from the hotel to views of Grizzly Peak and the geyser field; Paradise Pier in the distance; and Soarin' over California on the left.

The trains would, then, cross into the Hollywood section as the narrator began speaking about Walt Disney's migration to California in 1923. Both the Hyperion Theatre and The Twilight Zone would look dramatic from these angles. Anaheim, California could, then, be introduced as the Host City for the gateway to The Magic Kingdom as the trains reach Harbor Boulevard.

Entering Disneyland, the trains would traverse the edge of Tomorrowland where it meets the Submarine Lagoon. Guests would, then, be presented with views of Central Plaza and the side of Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Afterwards, the trains would follow along the outskirts of Fantasyland and see more dramatic views of the Fantasyland Theatre, Mickey's Toontown, and "it's a small world". Leaving Fantasyland, the monorail trains would pass by the Disneyland Railroad along the berm of Disneyland and travel over the Autopia and the Submarine Voyage before rising to the guideway's highest point and exiting Tomorrowland.

The trains would emerge to skirt the northern side of the East Esplanade and make their way to the main entrances of both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure.

Upon leaving the station in the central piazza of the Outer Lobby, the monorails would pass alongside Downtown Disney, which would be glittering at night, and cross Disneyland Drive to arrive at the station with the patina-covered, giant copper leaves.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 08-02-2005 at 01:21 PM.

• insufferable know-it-all

The point about the PPH is a valid one. Frankly, it's needed a peoplemover of some sort for a very long time. When the tram stop for the hotels was between the DLH and PPH, it was very convenient to pop over there for dinner at PCH Grill. As it stands, I haven't eaten there in *years*, and not because they got rid of my favorite items, but because it's so darned inconvenient to get to!

As I proposed it, an esplanade stop would only make sense if DL and DCA were joined as a one-ticket affair. I highly doubt it'd ever happen though.

Let's not forget that in addition to being transportation, the monorail is also an attraction (I loved it as a kid, still do). Eliminating the inside-DL stop would be a bad thing, IMHO. Better, I think, to ADD a DCA stop. Condor Flats is desperately lacking in attractions (yes they have Soarin... do they have anything else? No). So a station there could be kinda cool and provide close access to GCH. On the other hand, it could complicate things when DCA is closed and DL is still open but GCH guests want to monorail it. So in that respect, a station within the GCH makes good sense, very good sense.

Those modifications do not require any major changes to the track layout, merely the building of a station platform.

Can the PPH problem be solved? Not without significant investment. I don't think it will happen.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

the problem with adding a station to DCA.. you have one day tickets.. how would they know if you are DCA or DL... unless you can add entrance gates at the stations.. which would be inconvienant... the current system still works somewhat...

You would have to ditch the non-hopper tickets. Hardly a great loss for the DLR.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Sad Re: New Monorail Station

We are currently planning our annual Christmas Trip to DL. Usual days 12/26-31, I sthe monorail already going to be closed by then......? That would not be fun!!!!

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

This is in response to aerinpegadrak's post:

There actually is a connection between PPH and DCA, but it's currently closed right now. (Because of a lack of use, I guess.) If you walk across the street from the hotel, there is an entrance into Paradise Pier that comes in near the Corn Dog Castle.

Unfortunatly, it costs $$$ for a CM to stand there and check tickets through the machine, and when somethings not used all to often why bother paying to keep it open?

I agree with you though, there does need to be a connection that doesn't require walking across the busy street.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    You would have to ditch the non-hopper tickets. Hardly a great loss for the DLR.
    I'm not sure why they haven't already done this, to be honest. A one-day hopper is only $20 more than a one-day one-park pass, and getting rid of the one-park restriction might help attendance at DCA; you'd get more people venturing over out of curiosity (or to get out of the Disneyland crowds) and because there's nothing stopping them.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

I would suggest a pedestrian bridge, possibly enclosed, that connects directly to the upper floors of the Paradise Pier Hotel.

I would also suggest D.C.A. incorporate into itself a version of the Main Street Vehicles for the Performance Cooridor.

In that way, the transportation system for the property would connect the Paradise Pier Hotel with the Main Entry Plaza; the old Disneyland Hotel monorail station with the Main Entry Plaza; the Disneyland Railroad stations with the Main Entry Plaza; Central Plaza with the Main Entry Plaza (via the Main Street Vehicles); and, the parking area trams and hotel shuttles with the Main Entry Plaza.

The only other missing piece to the puzzle is an open gate connecting Downtown Disney with the easternmost side of the Las Brisas Courtyard, as well as another direct passageway between that area of the courtyard and the second set of elevators in the Grand Californian Hotel.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 08-02-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Not as long as there's a barrier to crossing over they won't. Well, they might, but not enough to be significant. However, a one-ticket system would meal being able to move all admission stuff back to where the ticket booths are now, just put gates just beyond. If they do that, however, the esplanade will suck as a "grand entrance" unless they fit it out with more trees, benches, and yes, ODV.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I wonder how this will be affected by the proposed NFL stadium in Anaheim. It was my understanding that the proposal included running the monorail track to the stadium and back. Then we would end up with something like what Las Vegas has- a kind of public transportation system that would actually be like what Walt pictured. Do you think this might be part of the reason for an entire new fleet of monorail trains, in anticipation of this change in the future?

Why not turn the monorail into a transportation system, not an attraction.

You could keep the current station at DTD, take out the picnic area, at DL, and put a lovely little station there. With priority access, to enter the park through new turnstiles, that lead into main street. THen use the existing track to travel through DL, and into the GCH, with a stop there (they already have the turnstiles into DCA), then send it on its way back to DTD. That way, you eliminate the need to watch tickets, by having turnstiles at the exits, leading into the park.

It oculd be a system like the one, currently being used in WDW.

I see the arguments on both sides. But there's no reason to remove the TL station unless the monorail starts going somewhere that doesn't involve park admission, like the NFL stadium. The people who have pointed out that the monorail's not worth waiting for at DTD if it doesn't carry a no-line advantage on the other end are correct. The walk's just not long enough to justify a ride if you still have to wait to get into the park. Why build a new gate if you already have the TL station?

What if Disneyland decided to start properly staffing the main entrances of both parks?

Everyone seems to be complaining about the lines there. All Disneyland has to do is open a few more gates. Doing so would certainly be cheaper than installing a monorail station in D.C.A. or a Skyway between the two parks. I am of the opinion that the two parks need to be as distinct as possible from each other.

Guests already have to go through the bag check and the ticket takers before said Guests wait in the queue to board the monorail trains at the Downtown Disney station. Having the monorail system operate independently of the two parks would not necessarily create an additional inconvenience.

Guests need a way to get from the Disneyland Hotel to Disney's California Adventure without having to walk the length of Downtown Disney.

While they may be rebuilding the Tomorrowland Station, my understanding is that the track itself will probably not be changed. To do so would cost a lot of money and honestly it's impractical. I like taking the monorail from the hotel to Tomorrowland. I love the part where you wind through and see the attractions. While it might be nice to have a stop in DCA, you'd essentially have to build a whole new track. When the attendance there justifies such a cost, then I can see adding it. But it's not that long of a walk from the Downtown Disney station to the front gates...there's no need to add a station there.

• Rock Star Minion

How about a berm around DCA with an extended monorail track? Have it go around the hotels and stop in Paradise Pier.
    Major expense, but it would serve a few purposes.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast