Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On-Ride Photos On Every Ride?

Think about it: there's quite a few rides with on-ride photos. Let's list them all:

Splash
    Space
    Buzz
    Screamin'
    Tower
    Monsters Inc. (assuming they keep SSL's old feature)

And, of course, wasn't Indy supposed to have one, but wasn't axed at the last minute? I know Dinosaur at AK has one.

But, alas, Disney is missing a gold mine here! Wouldn't it be great to have a on-ride photo on the Matterhorn? Big Thunder? Indy at last?! But, where would the photo go?

Matterhorn: Abominale Snowman all the way. Would love the terrified reactions given from the guests to be on display.

Big Thunder: first swerve after the first lift, I think would be good.

Indy: Boulder, duh.

Pirates: Drop #1, thank you very much.

HM: if there is any way to take a photo during the HHG mirrors, that would be so cool.

Small World: When you first enter the building and hear the song...great photos there.

Peter Pan: Off to Neverland!

Mr. Toad: Train all the way.

Over to DCA:

Mullahound Madness: Yes, I WANT an on-ride photo for this. On-ride photos on Mack Wild Mouses are always great, no matter what.

GRR: Difficult to do, but if you take it above the raft, it could come out just right.

Maliboomer: Why not?

Your thoughts?...

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: On-Ride Photos On Every Ride?

my sarcas-o-meter is bleeping like crazy...

My thoughts on this are: if you put one of these on every ride, people will postpone the purchase till they find the "perfect" one. In the meantime, they'll somewhere along the way determine that they've spent too much that day, and/or taken enough pictures, etc, and in the end, lose the customer. If they feel there's a compelling reason to hold off and compare pictures, they have more time to talk themselves out of the sale. Ride photos are a great impulse buy, you see your faces, you're still laughing, you buy the picture. But hours later, you've moved on.

I think it would be a bad business move for Disney to make the supply too abundant- not to mention the additional investment lowering the per-photo profit margin.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• That Guy

^ You have my vote. I have never been interested in buying one of those pictures... If I want to see a picture of myself looking shocked or scared, I will have someone take a picture of me as I calculate how much my trip cost....

• I can't stand you.

Jungle Cruise: Right after the loop

• Official Mice Chat person

^ What Morrigoon said.

It would be to much of a good thing. People would find it tacky and I'm sure guests don't want to constantly be pressured in to giving Disney more money.

• Basking in birthday love

The problem with on-ride photos is that you have to have a big giant flash. Unless it's done extremely well (I still haven't figured out exactly where the picture is taken on Buzz), it pulls you out of the ride.

The other problem, of course, is that they're so danged expensive. Only once have I ever purchased the photo, and that was because my friends and I split the cost, then took it home and scanned it to make copies.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Now there's a truth!

I wonder where the curve is on those photos... If they dropped the price only a little bit, the increase in demand might not meet up to the lost profits, but what if they dropped it a lot? Is there a price point at which we'd consider buying multiple on-ride photos? I know that at $3, if I liked an image I'd think nothing of buying it, but I doubt that it would create enough additional business to make up the price difference... what do you think?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Yes, I am being extremely sarcastic. But, c'mon, explore that side and try to find out where would be the best spot for an on-ride photo on such attractions such as Big Thunder or Pirates, or even go absurd with Casey Jr!...

Okay, Thunder, best spot is as you enter the tunnel at the end of the goat trick.

Pirates could probably best pull off the flash in the cannon scene, by making it part of the cannonball blast, but that much light in that room would ruin the night sky effect.

Casey Jr. is too obscured visually. On the other hand, you could put a camera just inside Monstro's mouth (try working THAT timing, LOL) to capture the faces of terrified children. Wouldn't THAT be funny?

Peter Pan would be another... you could do it in the finale scene where he's piloting the boat. Add a projected Tinkerbell and some fibre optic pixie dust to justify the flash.

Why do I suddenly feel dirty?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Now there's a truth!

I wonder where the curve is on those photos... If they dropped the price only a little bit, the increase in demand might not meet up to the lost profits, but what if they dropped it a lot? Is there a price point at which we'd consider buying multiple on-ride photos? I know that at $3, if I liked an image I'd think nothing of buying it, but I doubt that it would create enough additional business to make up the price difference... what do you think?
    I'd say $5 for the first photo and $3 for each additional photo would be extremely reasonable. At that rate, I'd probably have a whole collection of the pictures that I liked. (Maybe not all from the same trip, but certainly from multiple trips.) They could also create a kiosk or two at Buzz where you could pay the same price and print your picture instead of e-mailing it to yourself for free.

And they could still get you with special frames. I bought my picture from the first day of Space Mountain soft openings, and I've been keeping my eye out for a good frame for it.

As for where to put the cameras, Matterhorn's an easy one: there's already a bright flash at one of the Abominable Snowmen, where I always think that someone's taking a picture. There are enough bright flashes on Mr. Toad that you could put one in somewhere (I'm thinking the train would be a great spot). And isn't there a lightning effect in Snow White that could conceal a camera flash?

It looks like we have not one, but two interesting discussions going on here.

• At the Gym or at DL

On Heimlich's Chew Chew Train during the burping sounds. I'm sure my expression was priceless.

Soarin': when you fly up into the middle of the fireworks right at the end.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Why do I suddenly feel dirty?
    Because you sounded, for a moment, like Paul Pressler? I'm sure he would have loved these ideas.

I think they should take a picture inside Space Mountain. Every one would look the same, and no one would know the difference.

I now return this discussion to it's regularly scheduled non-nonsense, with apologies all around.

Exactly.... I'm playing devil's advocate here and giving very good ideas that I don't like

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    I think they should take a picture inside Space Mountain. Every one would look the same, and no one would know the difference.
    YES! Like those {insert your city here} poscards that read "{your city} at night". ...and it's just a postcard completely covered in black ink.

What about the Mr. Lincoln photo op: a picture of 1/3 of the audience half-asleep with headphones on. That's one for the annual Christmas card to the relatives!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast