Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Really want to see the Big Game?

There ya go!

While I realize that shooting at animals is no longer politically correct, publicly popular, or in some cases ethical, I still wish they would bring a variant of this back to Adventureland. To be honest it could be themed similar to the Frontierland one. Use infrared technology in the rifle barrels and have targets on trees, logs, and rocks... hit the target out pops an animal. A major concern would be where to fit something like this, because it used to be where a store is now. I would love to see a scaled down version, possibly next to Aladdin... done correctly it would be a lot of fun.

See you really don't have to be a Patriot to feel like a Giant while playing in the Big Game... Safari Shooting Gallery that is.
    Last edited by techskip; 02-01-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Shubisha

Re: Really want to see the Game?

wow awesome we've been looking for some photos from the other shooting galleries that used to exist

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Very cool, I didn't even realize that there was a shooting gallery in Adventureland. When did they take it out?
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great photo! Thanks Techskip.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

I too miss the adventureland shooting gallery,but what I really miss is the BB guns. Bring back the BB guns!
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

That logo is amazingly close to The Lion King broadway show logo. That's so cool! I had no idea it had any history beforehand. That's my tattoo!

A signature should go here.

• Minion

Re: Really want to see the Big Game?

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post

There ya go!

While I realize that shooting at animals is no longer politically correct, publicly popular, or in some cases ethical, I still wish they would bring a variant of this back to Adventureland. To be honest it could be themed similar to the Frontierland one. Use infrared technology in the rifle barrels and have targets on trees, logs, and rocks... hit the target out pops an animal. A major concern would be where to fit something like this, because it used to be where a store is now. I would love to see a scaled down version, possibly next to Aladdin... done correctly it would be a lot of fun.

See you really don't have to be a Patriot to feel like a Giant while playing in the Big Game... Safari Shooting Gallery that is.
    I'll bet that you could entice a fair number of Micechatters with Disney Parks management targets.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    To quote Elijah Wood in Back To The Future II
    "You mean you have to use your hands?"

Sounds like a good idea. The targets need not be dumb animals. They could be crates on ropes that fall down and so on... or something more interesting...

But why in Adventureland? (Just 'cos you used to be a Skip? ) Why not back in Frontierland?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    I'll bet that you could entice a fair number of Micechatters with Disney Parks management targets.
    Now that's one sideshow I'd be jamming quarters in like crazy!

500 points if you shoot Rasulo's right eye!

Kidding besides, there was also a shooting gallery on Main Street. Apparently there was a wide market for shooting stuff in the park's early days.

I liked the tie-in to the Superbowl tomorrow, techskip, but will sponsors lay down $2 million to place an ad for 30 seconds on a safari shooting gallery?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    ... Apparently there was a wide market for shooting stuff in the park's early days...
    I blame Davey Crockett and his **** skin hat.
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I blame Davey Crockett and his **** skin hat.
    Guns and firepower.

Quintessential American values.

Included in the things that Walt dedicated the park to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Guns and firepower.

Quintessential American values.

Included in the things that Walt dedicated the park to.
    I was thinking more along the lines of all those 50's photos of kids wearing a **** skin hat and carrying a pop gun. But speaking as a member of the "rest of the world", we don't get your fascination with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of all those 50's photos of kids wearing a **** skin hat and carrying a pop gun. But speaking as a member of the "rest of the world", we don't get your fascination with guns.

We know the rest of the world doesn't get it, and that's OK. Suffice it to say the west was settled by Civil war veterans, the railroads and a weak, but strengthening central government (usually in combination), big money and a great familiarity with guns and bloodshed. In an incredibly short period of time the railroad had spanned the continent and pistols and rifles provided the security and power to settle plains.

By 1910 it was basically accomplished and the west was arguably under control. It was a fast and harsh movement that was hard and cruel on anyone who got in the way both aboriginal and troublemakers. This expansion also fueled the fascination with the African big game hunt for the next generation as a proxy for the settlement of the western United States.

Throw on top of that the fact that the US came out of two world wars relatively unscathed and on top and the popular myth that guns are only harmful to animals, aboriginals, and Germans. Then as far as Disneyland is concerned you have WW2 vets taking their children, who are fascinated by their fathers experience, to Disneyland and the popularity of the shooting gallery is easy to see.

• "I Break Things"

While I will not directly comment on mousechild's explanation I will say this. In my family it was more about the skill and accuracy and less about the actual weapon of choice. Be it shooting gallery (Knott's and Disneyland), actual rifle range (learned to shoot when I was 6), archery, spears, throwing knives, throwing hatchets (all from Faire)... it was about the skill of being able to hit the target and the feelings of pride and achievement associated with doing so. I learned a lot about weapons, but I also learned respect for them.

As to the Safari Shooting Gallery, I was doing research on a project and stumbled upon the picture. At first I didn't want to post it because I thought it was a personal photo (I had to do a screen capture to get it) but I soon discovered it was a mass produced publicity shot. I have found a couple different dates online, but the major consensus is that it opened June 1962 and closed January 1982.

This is in Yesterland http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ery-52992.html but since most MC's on here never go to a lot of the links I thought I'd toss in the links and images from that discussion as well.

For a brief description of all the shooting galleries of Disneyland look on http://www.emuck.com/aotw/shooting.htmwhich good info but the date was off. If you need a visual of where it was located then

on http://users.sisna.com/matkinson/Pages/1974.html (I did the red highlight to make it easier). Also found this

on http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2...ntureland.html (I hate hot linking which is the only reason I saved then linked from mine).

Anyhow thanks to everyone who visited. I'm sorry for any disappointment to diehard football fans. I'm sorry that I went all YOMD by using a legitimate event or celebration and then piggybacking my thread onto it to shamelessly plug and advertise my thread even though it has nothing to do with the actual event. As to the "Why Adventureland?" comment, because the current merchandise sold in the stores ruins any sense of being in a Jungle outpost.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

BTW, sorry for posting off topic. I thought it was worth looking at some of the reasons we like shooting galleries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast