View Poll Results: What would you re-theme DCA as.

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn it into a DCA/DL hybird park (with minimal re-themeing changes periodically)

3 5.77%
  • Re-theme DCA into Walt Disney's America

30 57.69%
  • Leave it the way it is.

19 36.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walt Disney's America

Wouldn't this be a good idea to use, to retheme DCA. You could keep Hollywood, turn RedWood Creek, into Yosemete Falls and keep the Grizly River Run. You could re-theme Paradise Pier, to reflect eastern boardwalks (i.e.- Cooney Island). You could take a Bug's Land, out and use that area for a Mining Town (with mine train roller coaster). Then, you could turn Timon into a Metropolitan Center Type Land (i.e.- New York, Los Angeles, etc.)

Your thoughts...

• Banned User

Re: Walt Disney's America

in theory.. appearently DCA's ideas was based from this proposed theme park.. condor flats seemed to come from a land from it.... and so on... bits and piecews came from it..

it would be fairly easy to do.... you just need money.....

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Can we have another choice? I think Disneyland IS Walt Disney's America- In my mind, it is his Ideal of what America is, was, or could have been. I would like to see DCA rethemed to be like Tokyo DisneySeas.

• Basking in birthday love

I think the California theme had so much potential, but it was built on the cheap and has suffered for it. I like Al's theory: Matt's purposefully avoiding gimmicky promotions and leaving DCA to its own devices to demonstrate that the park will die a slow and painful death unless it gets major money pumped into it. Hopefully following the 50th celebrations, TDA will throw piles and piles of money at DCA, and within the next couple of years this ugly stepsister will get a chance to shine.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

I think Walt Disney's America would have been a great park

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...2,301&ei=UTF-8
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I know alot of americans are very patriotic! Disneyland has alot of that. But it's not totally america, toon town, adventureland, critter country, tommorowland, fantasy land... the main america part is Frontierland and Main Street USA!

Now on with my point, a whole park dedicated to America, just doesn't seem like a nice tourist destination spot! There in america, they can go to a museum to learn about the wars and all that stuff... You come to america, you go to disneyland, it whisks you away to the past of america, to the cartoons of fantasy, to magic, to everything... it's got america, but it has alot more then just america! A whole park dedicated to america IMHO would not attract tourists... The majority of people, no offense, are mad at america right now, not saying america is bad, just some people/parts of it *cough* bush *cough* are being difficult... Anyways, how would an american park in america dedicated all to america attract tourists? i just don't see it! When you go to a theme park, you expect to be whisked away to another land, Hense Disneyland! Your going to a land of disney! Disney's America send's you to a land that your already in... I just don't see it....

I say leave DCA as it is right now, since that's the best choice on the poll, and then refurb it, re-theme it like there planning! Make it better! Block party bash was a step in the right direction, it engages with the audience, and keep kids and familys interested! That's whats needed family things like that!

That's just my opinion though... No offense meant to anyone if anyone thinks my post is offensive..!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Shirley, there must be other ideas?

.................................................. ......
    Last edited by Escapé; 08-03-2005 at 12:52 AM.

• Puppy Cuddles

I too think that the California theme has potential. Even with DQ's idea of themeing it like Tokyo DIsney seas, which I think is ab fab and should be considered. I would love to see them explore California with as much detail as the DisneySeas park. Everything can always be related back to water somehow and would benefit from a mor e obvious theme. Hollywood could feature a "Hollywoodized" version of the Sea and ocean from movies like The Poseidon Adventure, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, other moveis that demonstrate our own conceptions of man vs. the ocean. The Columbia would be a good example of this...a romantic version of a hard life.

The PP area could be more like an actual surf-town not like some freakish stereotype. More Santa Cruz and less Newport. It wouldn't take too much work to retheme rides to have a story to support a new them, since they didn't have mus of a theme to begin with. I'm probably one of the one people who absolutely loves PP because it reminds me of family trips out to tthe Santa Cruz boardwalk, and it seems to fit in with the California theme quite well.

Retheme GRR to have a completely different story where you're out on the sea and have to abandon ships. The ride is your journey on the life boats until eventual rescue and return to civilization.

It's late, and I know there's more examples of what could be done to combine these two ideas, but my brain hurts right now.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Sock Puppet

I just don't think leaving DCA the way it stands now is an option. It MUST be redesigned.

Whether they change it to a "America" theme or keep it California, why not puncuate the history angle? That's one of the things that makes Disneyland so special and so unique, it takes you BACK IN TIME (i.e. Frontierland, Main Street, etc.) It's not about dry, boring history, it's about LIVING history. What would it have felt like in the Gold Rush times, the gay 90's, and so on.

GRR could easily be antiqued with miner's story attached to it. Same for Condor Flats and Paradise Pier. What year is Paradise Pier supposed to be in anyway? Modern day? Early century? Why aren't Mickey and Minnie walking around in period costumes? What time period is the Bay Area, or even Hollywood? Is this a modern day park? It's never really been clear to me.

• The one, the only...

I believe that America is too bland a theme to really draw people. I also don't think that DCA should be left as it is.

There are two basic directions,

1) Make it a California park featuring the history and wonders of California

2) Chose a new theme, but that will have to feature adventure and excitement. It should take you to places or periods of history which you cannot experience in everyday life.

Neither option is cheaper. Some REAL money will have to be thrown at DCA. It costs more to fix a cheap park than to do it right the first time.

Building Disney's America in America has the same problems of building California Adventure in California.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Social Imagineer

I think the California angle is a dead-end. It would make for a great "land" in Disney's America, which - contrary to supposition - does not have to be all about American History. If it's history - and lands devoted to different time periods - can it not also be about American places and incorporate the best of the California concept (if there is a best) and other American places as well?

It would be hard not to duplicate the great Americana stuff that's going on at Disneyland across the way in Frontierland and on Main Street ... but that's been the whole problem with most Disney parks: Disneyland has it all!! What is Epcot but a revamped Tomorrowland? What is Animal Kingdom but a biggerized Adventureland? Disneyland is so successful because it has it all within its realm, and other parks have had to marginalize and "niche" play on riffs laid down by the master.

So do a more historical take on the western frontier than we find in Frontierland. Maybe a Lewis & Clarke river ride updating some of the long-standing concepts for the wrongfully neglected Western River Expedition. Leave out Main Street's 1890's mid-west altogether. And use the vast scope of remaining American History and Fantastic Locales from Sea to Shining Sea for the basis of what I'm sure would be one of Disney's BEST theme parks ever.

• FastPass n00b

I think DCA suffers from the same indentity crisis as Epcot did in 1982 (Epcot's identity crisis was originally pointed out by MiceAge's own Kevin Yee). It's like how do you build a non-Disneyland Disney park, the term itself is almost an oxymoron. DCA can't be another Disneyland because the real thing is sitting right across the way, and it can't be a huge departure from the Disneyland formula because that's what people expect from Disney.

Disney's America was so redundant because not only would it have been in an area rich with *real* history to begin with, it would have beaten people over the head with a theme that runs through Disneyland already. Frontierland, the Disneyland Railroad and Main Street USA are direct tributes to America and everywhere you go in the park there's American flags and references to the country. As someone mentioned before, Disney's America is already Disneyland. To build a park dedicated solely to America would patronize Walt because it'd be like saying, Disneyland doesn't honor America enough so we have to build a whole new park that does pay respect to it.

It's a good idea, but it just wouldn't be fitting to an American Disney park.

• Social Imagineer

Disney's European Adventure!!!

• Minion

I think that retheming it to all about America park does not sound exciting to me, and isn't that what Disneyland is all about and other theme parks, that all american feel? DCA should turn into something new and totally original! Don't know what, but I will know it when I hear it!

• insufferable know-it-all

I voted for Disney's America because it could most easily be turned into that without closing more than one section of the park at a time.

As far as the Disney park conundrum, there are plenty of things they could do but haven't. For starters, build a new park in the Disneyland mold, but with different lands, rather than tacking lands onto DL. But that's a topic for another thread.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast