• "I Break Things"

Jungle History Help

Alright, I know some of you are probably saying to yourself "Tech needs help about something Jungle related... quick someone make a note". Well I do. I am wondering if anyone knows the original animal placements for the Jungle Cruise. I have the Ravenscroft spiel but I know it was made at a later date. I've seen the pictures and I know most of what was original, but placements... please help..

-- Techskip
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• BATTLE COMBINER!

Re: Jungle History Help

*writing a note*

• Ok time for cocoa

Any thing particular. I have a copy of 'The"E" Ticket' The Adventure Land Story' with some construction pictures and an early aerial shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    Any thing particular. I have a copy of 'The"E" Ticket' The Adventure Land Story' with some construction pictures and an early aerial shot.
    I have some construction shots, but anything you have would be greatly appreciated. Since I have no clue what shots you have, it is entirely possible that I don't have them. I just sent this off in a PM, sorry to cut/paste but it sums everything up pretty well.

"From the pictures and a bit of memory I am able to piece some of it together. Butterflies and Toucans in the rainforest, crocs and hornbill in the sunken city (also spider monkeys and spider). No elephants in the pool but they had swimming crocs there I believe. Rhino and babies where camp is now. Bulls in the same spot (this one I know is right). Giraffes and all pretty much in the same spot but lions moved farther to the left where the rhino is now. Hippos haven't moved, Village in the same spot (if it was there at all which I believe it was but the attack was much later). Gorillas where the snake is now, and Sam was added in at a later date as well...

Is this accurate? because it was waaaaaaaaaaaay before my time. I know what additions were made, and for the most part what years they were added or subtracted."

So, wondering if I am accurate, also wondering if I missed anything. Thanks again to everyone. Also again if you have shots of the spiders, butterflies, or toucans please let me know, I have shots of all the other wildlife except them.

• Shubisha

look around youtube for video of the original figures. they exist

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

This Special Exhibit feature on Adventureland has photos and video:

http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/fami...and/index.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• "I Break Things"

Thank You

• Ok time for cocoa

From the E ticket:
    1957 "For the first time, jungle boats steamed from the dock to enter the "misty Amazon tropical rain forest" - added mist and orchids. Added "stiff but menacing Gorillas".

There is just too much to retype.
    This has the year by year up dates. You need it.
    PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

• "I Break Things"

I found that E-Ticket... it had been misplaced. I am currently gleaning it for all the information possible. I was wrong about the Elephants, they were placed across the river from each other, one near where the camp is, the other near the falls.

• Ok time for cocoa

Good. Good you got your answers.

• "I Break Things"

I just sent a rather specific email to "E" Ticket magazine.

I have the Spring 03 issue of "E" Ticket which covers Adventureland, more specifically the construction and history of the Jungle Cruise. My compliments to the staff, it was extremely well written and I learned a great deal from it. I am working on a research project and I hoped you would be able to answer a couple questions not covered in the article.

I was wondering if you knew the original order and location of the various animals. Specifically I would love to know what animals are original, and what has been added over the years. There was no mention of the butterflies or the toucans in the article so I assume they were added with the Amazon enhancement but I am not sure. I noticed the pictures show the Bull Elephants used to reside closer to the waterfall and they are now staggered on the Nile itself. I was also wondering if you knew when the animals were moved to their current locations (all the animals not just the Bulls), and when additional animals were added or subtracted. I realize the Rhinos were removed at some point, then the mother was recycled into the Trapped Safari under Marc Davis. I have dates for the larger scenes like the African Veldt, Gorilla Camp, Elephant Pool, and Trapped Safari (major contributions by Marc Davis) but I was specifically wondering when the Native Attack was added. I have a training manual from the 1980's that breaks a lot of the enhancements down into years:

* Elephant Pool and African Veldt (no animals)

* Elephants placed in Elephant Pool
    * Animals placed in African Veldt
    * Trapped Safari and Rhino added, Rhino was actually recycled... it had previously been the charging Rhino.

* Hornbill and Crocs added
    * Cobras and Bengal tiger added
    * Safari Camp added
    * Gorilla and Croc added
    * Baboons and Lion cave added
    * Python and Water Buffalos added

So specifically I am looking for what was added prior to 1962, and what was replaced or moved over the years. I know the original Gorillas were removed at some point because the Python sits in their current location. One of the African Elephants resided close to the current Gorilla Camp and the other was across from the Gorilla and Croc, when were they moved? The article mentions the Giraffes, but not the Zebra or Gnu, were they added later? and were the Giraffes in the same spot or were they moved from elsewhere? Where were the Lions originally? Where were the swimming Crocs?

I also noticed in one of the photos that the Jungle used to have jackals, and I know the ruins used to have monkeys in the trees, are there any other animals that are now "extinct"?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for any and all information you can provide.
    Hopefully I will get a response, it isn't a typical "hey love the article" type letter. Then again it may backfire and they may not even respond. In any event if anyone can answer any of this please chime in. Thanks again Ranger for turning me in the right direction. Ironically it was a fellow Skip who bought me that magazine as a "thank you" for hosting his bachelor party!

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Hey techskip,

I'm not sure if you've seen this, but there is a great video on YouTube of the whole ride in it's original form. It's simply fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiM77...eature=related

This second one seems to be made a few years later; though at the end they show some of the additions of the 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl8fS...eature=related

This last one is simply the final two and a half minutes of the second one (some of the updates of the 70's I believe).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3myQ0...eature=related

I can't believe how much the ride has evolved over the years. It would be marvelous to see some skippers add some of the old factual information into their spiel.

Hope this helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I just sent a rather specific email to "E" Ticket magazine.
    With the sad passing of Leon Janzen a few years back, I know that his brother Jack has his hands totally full with production on The E Ticket (which I strongly recommend to any Disneyland fan). Hopefully Jack will get back to you, but I would imagine that he doesn't have nearly as much time as he would want to devote on this project.

--Tim (E Ticket subscriber since Issue #6)
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records