I'm going back! (or, what to do in LA with a 7-week-old?)

I thought it would be a long vacation. In October, we made the best of it, knowing that it would be a long time before returning. However, that is not to be. Against all conventional wisdom, I've got 8 days reserved across the street from DLR, 2/15-2/23.

I blocked out that many days due to an awareness that a newborn will mean slooooow progress on the parks. But, I think I'll have extra days. 8 is a lot.

I'm thinking maybe USH or Sea World. Neither is ride-centric, which helps when you have to split up for rides. The baby (Seven) is very calm and quiet, so I don't think that crowds/shows will be a problem.

Anything else that I might miss?

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

Re: I'm going back! (or, what to do in LA with a 7-week-old?)

What about Knott's?
    They have a few calm rides (if I remember correctly...)
    Sorry, I only go to Knott during Halloween Haunt when I usually ignore rides.

• Life is Great!

If you go to Sea World, be sure to bring a baby sling as strollers are not allowed in the show arenas.
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Knotts isn't a bad call. Midweek most of the rides will be walk on. Depends too on what type of rides your son likes. If he's not a thrill ride child, I'd head to San Diego and either go to the Wild Animal Park or Sea World.

Have a blast! You will for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't considered Knotts... I haven't been there since I was about 8, I've heard only about the rides since. Well, that and the fried chicken...mmmm....

On strollers: Do you recommend a bike lock/other fastening device at DLR? Or is it safe enough just to remove valuables when on a ride? Our stroller isn't an Escalade, but it's nice. I'd hate to lose it.

• DL Nerd

never been to knotts.... Always wanted to go though..

I could spend all 8 days @ DLR myself though
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RedStep View Post
    On strollers: Do you recommend a bike lock/other fastening device at DLR? Or is it safe enough just to remove valuables when on a ride? Our stroller isn't an Escalade, but it's nice. I'd hate to lose it.
    I've heard of strollers being removed for having locks on them. They could be considered a safety hazard.
    I recommend taking a much less expensive stroller to DL. Something below the $50 mark. And take your valuables. And the baby.

I also recommend waiting until the baby is less helpless, more aware, and generally less work. They are a lot of work even at home. DL is expected to be there for quite some time. Not sure what the urgency is.

OT: Hey! I can see your pictures in the other thread! Until now, there have been blank spaces. Unbelievable pics!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Knott's has quite a few rides for smaller children however you won't find it as "kid friendly" with ride, sites, etc., as much as DL....but still Knott's is a good idea and right down the street.

Sea World is a lot of fun, well worth the trip. Wild Animal park is great since it's a lot of riding and watching the animals. San Diego zoo is quite large so kids get pretty antsy with the walking, just looking (versus riding) and waiting so that might not be the right choice with small children. Just keep in mind that San Diego is 2-3 hours drive with weekend traffic so it's basically a full day trip.

There's also plenty of beach activities even in the winter months so you might plan a small visit for a day of relaxing.

I would say if you are worried about your stroller, then I'd bring another one...keep the honest people honest that way! Personally I've never gotten a stroller or anything inside of it taken but then again...my kids are teenagers and times have changed!

Have a good time!

[quote=sediment;2535360]I also recommend waiting until the baby is less helpless, more aware, and generally less work. They are a lot of work even at home. DL is expected to be there for quite some time. Not sure what the urgency is.[quote]

I understand the sentiment. For us, it's the right time. It will be extra work, that's why it's about twice as long as a normal trip. I realize that at this age, she won't get much more out of it than she would the little blinky-star-plush-music-box-thing that she plays with now.

But... it seems good to get her acclimated to it as early as possible. We're on the road quite a bit, and aim to hit DLR about monthly or semi-monthly going forward. So, this isn't like a yearly vacation that you would postpone. It's more like... getting the wheels turning early.

We took care to get a hotel directly across the street, so that she can have all the quiet time and rest that she needs. I can use the time to offload my pics, surf the web, watch tv, or do something else.

P.S. Thanks!