Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: The Disneyland Food Ban

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara
    Time to let you in on a little "EOM" secret that I taught some of the Micechatters.

Head over to Whitewater Snacks, which is in GCH. To reach it, head through the GCH DCA entrance by Grizzly, and make a left at the end of the path. It is at the far end of that path, just before the Pool Bar.

Whitewater Snacks has a great assortment of foods and snacks for the whole family. It is never crowded, has a friendly staff, gives free refills, and best of all: Dr. Pepper.
    Thanks EOM! I guess Saturday I'll be walking around on a mission: Find the disneyland Dr. Pepper!

• Disneyland Freak

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Seriously, unless they start making people strip and/or patting them down, there is no way to ban bringing in outside food. Believe me, my boyfriend wears extremely baggy pants and long shirts, and guess how much stuff we sneek in.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

When they used to not allow outside food in they would direct you to the lockers at the picnic area. But now isn't the picnic area inside the bag check? Who's to check after that.
    Mike

• My Children's Father

Good point, mcow1. The "fence line" would have to be shifted to allow picnicers access into the picnic area.

There may also be a need for an additional picnic/locker area at the east side of the esplanade, for people coming from that side.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Animatronic

If you're gonna bring food into the park, bring enough for everyone!

(I learned that in school)

The picnic area is located before you go through security, so no problem with that.

For *many* years DL enforced the no outside food or beverages rule. They could easily do it again. Were there some people that hid food on themsleves when it was enforced? Sure there were . I'm sure some people today would have the same lack of respect for DL and its rules today and sneak food in. DL would most likely handle todays sneaks the same way they handled them in years gone by. If they found the food at the gate they would ask then to go put it in a locker or wherever, but if the guest managed to get it through the gates nothing was done to them, although guests that did sneak food in were not bold about and ate it on the sly. When DL stopped enforcing the rule it got way out of hand. Instead of bringing in a couple of baggies of cookies for a toddler, now people pack up enough provisions to last their entire family for most, if not all day. Then to add insult to injury they take up tables at restaurants. It's like people were given a inch and they took more than a mile.

Would some people complain if the existing rule was enforced? Sure some would. Would it keep people from coming? Perhaps a really small number would say no more DL for me. But it would be their loss and not Disneylands. I wonder just how many guests stopped going to DL when they shortened the summer hours? I remember DL being open til one or two and now they close at 12, even on the busiest days. Did people show up and scream and cry because they had one or two less hours to spend in DL? I doubt it. They just grumbled to themselves and went through the turnstyles. My guess is the same thing would happen if they start to enforce the no outside food and beverage rule, that still exists.

And to the poster that said if it aint' broke don't fix it. Well, it is broken. Any time you have a rule that isn't enforced consistently there is a problem. DL needs to either enforce the rule consistently or get rid of the rule all together. I vote for enforcement. If people want to bring food from home they can exit the parks and enjoy it were it belongs, outside the turnstyles. JMHO.

dsny1mom

• Rainicorn.

My family used to bring egg salad sandwiches and empanadas. We would eat them inside the park. Of course, this was before the security checkpoints. I'm sure we wouldn't be able to bring it in now, but it sure didn't break the bank.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• DL Alumni

I wish there was Mt. Dew sold in the Parks! BTW, speaking of DR. PEPPER, hey where can I buy some Dew in the Resort? Do I have to go across the street?

I love getting my Dew fix...if they sold it in the parks I would stay all day...down with COKE!

Sorry, I've gotten off topic now ...Forge ahead Mateys!

Mlle. Upanova

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    My family used to bring egg salad sandwiches and empanadas. We would eat them inside the park. Of course, this was before the security checkpoints. I'm sure we wouldn't be able to bring it in now, but it sure didn't break the bank.
    You could still do that, you'd just have to sit in the picnic area and keep the food in an outside locker all day. I really don't think that enforcing this rule would make too many people hugely angry, because if families insist on bringing their own meals, they'll still be able to eat them as long as they go outside.

I think it really and truly would help with crowding, too. When I go for a full day, I take a big backpack and fill it with snacks, jackets, water bottles, and the like. There's usually one other person in the group who has a bag as well. Now, if Disney started enforcing no outside food, I'd leave the backpack at home, stuff the jackets in a locker, and bring a much smaller bag just for cameras, wallets, etc. (And don't forget the fruit snacks that would be in my bra. Must have fruit snacks...) Other people would probably change their habits similarly, so you would see fewer people with big giant bags. If 15% of your crowd isn't toting around an entire pantry like they are now, I think it will noticably clear up the walkways without even having to change anything related to attractions.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dsny1mom
    And to the poster that said if it aint' broke don't fix it. Well, it is broken. Any time you have a rule that isn't enforced consistently there is a problem. DL needs to either enforce the rule consistently or get rid of the rule all together. I vote for enforcement. If people want to bring food from home they can exit the parks and enjoy it were it belongs, outside the turnstyles. JMHO.
    The rule is completely enforced. I checked through various guide maps from the past few months and none of them make mention of outside food. Also, I may be wrong but I *think* that over the the tram PA that it says "WE ASK that there be no outside food brought inside the park." WE ASK is far different from "We Don't Allow." Asking is a kind request which Disney apparantly doesn't find to be a problem otherwise the rule would once again be enacted.

I've been to DL several times and though I don't look I've only noticed people with outside meals twice and of those two times only once were they eating at a table and it was at the Tomorrowland Terrace.

I hardly think that outside food is a problem. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

You need to look a bit closer at your guides. The latest one I have is from July 18th 2005. It states clearly under *Picnic Area* "We request that no food or beverages be brought inside either theme park". So because the guides no longer say guests _cannot_ bring food in, it makes it ok to bring food in because it's *just* a request? I don't follow your logic on this. Movie theaters request that people don't talk during the movie, they don't say you can't.. Since they don't say you can't, does that mean people should chat with one another anyway? I think not.

The rules used to be enforced all the time, for all food (with the exception of medical needs and baby items). Now some times people are allowed in with coolers and the supplies to make sandwiches, and other times people are not. If that isn't *broke* then I don't know what is!

After just spending 16 straight days inside DL, I can tell you we saw many people with food brought in from outside. At Riverbelle, Cafe Orleans, French Market, Bengal, Plaza Inn, Coke Corner, Redd Rockets, Rancho, Village Haus, Hungry Bear and even inside The Golden Horseshoe we saw people preparing (as in making sandwiches with loaves of bread and jars of spreads) and/or eating food brought in from outside. Nothing like the auroma of liversausage to bring you out of the magic when you're eating a mexican meal in Frontierland. So I guess the folks wandering around those retaurants with trays filled with purchased food, and no where to sit, should just shrug it off, because DL only requests that outside food isn't brought in, right? IMHO this is wrong and the best way to put a stop to it is to direct people to the picnic area and the lockers outside of the parks with their home brought food items.

I don't care how they are currently wording this in the guides. If Disney is requesting it then people should be honnoring the request. But I guess if the request is optional, then no one has the right to complain about people using video lights and flash photography inside attractions. It's only a request afterall. All they say is *please no flash photography*, and not you _cannot_ use flash photography. Yet, I do remember CMs announcing over the PA systems inside several attractions (Pirates and IASW off the top of my head), for people to turn off their video camera lights. hmmmmm

dsny1mom

• Disneyland Freak

It states clearly under *Picnic Area* "We request that no food or beverages be brought inside either theme park". So because the guides no longer say guests _cannot_ bring food in, it makes it ok to bring food in because it's *just* a request? I don't follow your logic on this. Movie theaters request that people don't talk during the movie, they don't say you can't.. Since they don't say you can't, does that mean people should chat with one another anyway? I think not.
    There's no logic beyond the logical fact that it says "we ask" as opposed to "cannot." And I've never been to a theatre that "asks" guests not to talk. I'm thinking of the little Mann Theatres cartoon that plays just before the movie that says "Please turn of cell phone and pagers" It's not asking, it's just being polite; but it is telling guests to shut up.

The rules used to be enforced all the time, for all food (with the exception of medical needs and baby items). Now some times people are allowed in with coolers and the supplies to make sandwiches, and other times people are not. If that isn't *broke* then I don't know what is!
    The rule, as you pointed out, is that food should not be brought in. I don't know how the heck someone snuck a cooler into the park but if they did then that was being sneaky, by no means could a cooler have been intentionally let in unless it was to keep insulin cold for a diabetic or some other medical reason.

I don't care how they are currently wording this in the guides. If Disney is requesting it then people should be honnoring the request. But I guess if the request is optional, then no one has the right to complain about people using video lights and flash photography inside attractions. It's only a request afterall. All they say is *please no flash photography*, and not you _cannot_ use flash photography.
    You are again confusing politeness with requests. Your ghost hosts says "NO flash pictures, please." Not: "We ask that you don't take flash pictures."

I still say it ain't broke. Also, calm down... no need to get hot under the collar just because I disagree with you
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

LOL, I'm calm.

This is a just a sore subject for me.

No matter how you swing the symantics, the bottom line is DL requests no one bring food in from the outside. Polite guests who care about what DL requests will abide, wouldn't you agree?

I feel that what happened to cause this is that DL wanted to come off not as strong in their wording of their policy on outside food and drink. Probably something that came about in the Pressler/Harris touchy feely era. As recently as 1996 the guides still said you _cannot_ vs we request that you don't.

So when the guides only requested it, the CMs started only letting snacky type things in, then as things often happen, people took advantage of the lack of enforcement and voila you have people bringing in (soft sided) coolers, loaves of bread, jars of peanut butter, premade sandwiches, KFC, etc. etc. etc. There are people who don't have any little ones that rent strollers just to push their brought in food around the parks. There are people who come in at opening and manage to not spend one penny on food or beverage and stay til closing. There are people who take up tables at all but table service restaurants eating their brought in food. They feel if they buy one Coke that entitles them to pull out the picinic spread for 5 or 8 of them and use the table.

This all bother me on two levels. One, it errodes the bottom line and when DLR isn't making what they feel they should be making up go the prices on all sorts of things. Two, it really does take away from the magic of DL.

I want to make sure I totally understand your view on this...... You say that DL's request for no flash photography inside attractions is an appeal for politness? If that is how you feel then wouldn't their request to not bring food in an appeal for politness, as well?

Here's another question for you..... If it isn't an issue at all, and DL doesn't care if people bring food in and they allow it, then why is it even addressed in the guide?

dsny1mom

• Disneyland Freak

I want to make sure I totally understand your view on this...... You say that DL's request for no flash photography inside attractions is an appeal for politness? If that is how you feel then wouldn't their request to not bring food in an appeal for politness, as well?

Here's another question for you..... If it isn't an issue at all, and DL doesn't care if people bring food in and they allow it, then why is it even addressed in the guide?

No no. I'm saying there is a difference between a request and politely telling people something.

"Please turn off all cell phones and pagers" at the movies is not a request. It's telling people to do it it's just being polite by saying please. If it simply said "Turn off all cell phones and pagers" it seems rude.

Similarly, "No Flash pictures, please" is not a request. It's not saying "You should not take flash pictures." It is telling guests not to take flash pictures, it's just being polite.

And the reason I say it ain't broke (don't fix it) is because if it were as big a problem as it may seem then I'm sure they would revert back to CANNOT bring food. They had no hesitations in revamping the Special Assistance program or with raising AP prices so I'm sure re-enforcing this policy would be no different.

Truce?
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast