•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

No souvenir shopping at Disneyland?

What if there were no souvenirs sold at Disneyland? I shopped a lot, while I was on my vacation at Disneyland. I probably shopped too much. What if there were no souvenirs sold at Disneyland. Say, you had to go to Downtown Disney to get your souvenirs. Oh you could still buy food, and snacks. Just not souvenirs.

Would Disneyland be better, worse, about the same.

I am one of those people, who likes to come up with strange scenarios.

Your choice, ignore or respond to this thread.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Say no to Assimilation

Re: No souvenir shopping at Disneyland?

It would not make a difference to me. I rarely shop when I am in the park. When I do shop, I find it annoying that I can buy the same merchandise outside the park. It has become hard to find a t-shirt that just says Disneyland. The all say Disneyland Resort now.

• Rainicorn.

Wow... Uhm... I have no idea how to respond. I probably would feel sad, cause there is some cool things at the Emporium and such.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• insufferable know-it-all

Worse. And I know I'm evil for saying it, but shopping IS recreation to some. In fact, my mom's major beef with the Pressler years is that all the shops sell the same stuff now, rather than being better themed with the lands. Used to be the Emporium was the only place to find a little bit of everything. Now it seems like every store offers the same or similar junk. Sure there's some variation, but nothing like there used to be.

Also, if people had to wait till they got out of the park to buy souvenirs, they may as well wait till they get back to their hotels, or to some black market guy selling t-shirts out of a duffel bag for $10 on Harbor Blvd. It would be a very costly mistake.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• oh bugger

I agree, part of the experience of a trip to Disneyland is going through all the shops and checking stuff out. I love to look around the Disney Gallery and get the upscale posters and artwork, or try on silly hats in the Mad Hatter, or the candy shop (or maybe cause its fancy they spell it shoppe).

The stores in Adventureland and New Orleans Square are part of what make the atmosphere, what would you put in place of the shops? The shops can really make a land unique, let's hope individuality returns once again.

Not to mention anything I buy I don't want to carry around I can pick up at the end of the day anyway.

• Basking in birthday love

I think the shops need to be more specialized again, but otherwise, I love shopping in the park. When it's hot and crowded in the middle of the day, it's really nice to just wander up and down Main Street looking at stuff, even if you have no intention of buying. I especially like the high-priced collectibles, not because I can purchase one, but because I can drool over how pretty they are, and how someday when I'm very, very rich, I'll have a wing of my mansion filled with them. Disneyland's for dreamers, right?

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

I would be unemployed
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Ooops! Did not want to put anyone out of work. Just brought up the topic for discussion, after wondering about the amount of souvenir shopping that goes on at theme parks. I spend a great deal of my time on vacation shopping. I have noticed how at the end of some attractions, there is a themed souvenir stand. Attractions have pins, and t-shirts and many other themed items. Wonder about how much time each guest spends shopping, in relation to riding rides and doing other things? Certainly did not want to put anyone out of work.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Minion

I wouldn't care to be honest. I like to browse but I rarely buy.

• My Children's Father

I wouldn't miss it personally, since most of it could be purchased elsewhere. But I do recognize that the park as a whole would suffer without the gift shops. Count me as one that would like to see a return of park-specific (and land-specific, heck even ride-specific) merchandise.

Several years ago, we bought a toy monorail at the park. It seemed kind of steep at $50, but our son would have been most appreciative. We ultimately decided to return it though, because it said "Walt Disney World" on it instead of "Disneyland".
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

I love looking in the shops. Especially the uniquely themed shops like Pooh or the wilderness-y one by GRR. I really want to buy something, but luckily practicality holds out.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

We love shopping too. As long as the shops are tastefully done and not at the expense of an attraction, shop on! Where would we be without all the stuff we get at DL?
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• Senior Minion

I think that if there were not things to buy in the parks, we would probably strip them bare and take actual remnants home with us.

• That Guy

I know I make my sisters proud because I can be a shopping machine, which is not that common for a guy.

I love shopping at DLR, it is a nice break from fighting crowds all day. If I had to go to DD to shop I would.

I never thought about the other posters comments, but I must say, you guys are right on. It is kinda lame to see the same stuff at each shop. It would be cool to have different stuff at different locations. I think my next trip in Sept. I will window shop, and then at the end of the day buy my stuff and lug it back to the hotel. I am not staying at a DLR resort, so I would have no where to keep it stored if I went back to the park. Can I carry a messenger bag at DLR? I don't remember if you can bring in stuff like that.

• California Adventurer

Happily inside Disney California Adventure ... or at the nearest theme park I can find.

If souvenirs were not sold at Disneyland, then Main Street, U.S.A. probably would not "remain open for an additional hour for your shopping convenience." That final, magical hour at closing is one of the best times to immerse oneself in the music, ambiance and atmosphere of Main Street, the Hub and Sleeping Beauty Castle. Those areas are more quiet, practically empty and peaceful if you choose to stay outside the shops.

Also, a visit to Disneyland for myself and probably several other people out there is not complete without a stop at Disneyana, whether it's for shopping or "just looking."
    Yes, I do LOVE Disney California Adventure. Disneyland is not so bad either ;-)

See my photography regularly in MiceChat's "In The Parks" updates, published each Friday.
    Follow my theme-park adventures on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ThemeParkTimes