Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Disneyland is your land.

Re: Why is it so expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Spokker View Post
    Seriously, these comments are really surprising, and it gives some fuel to the belief that annual passholders are elitist...
    Oh boy...please lets not just turn this into an APer's are all bad and think they are too good for the park thread.

Thanks for all the input from those who visited the park "back in the day." Its just something I have been curious about since I get asked this question at least once a day.

My personal feelings remain the same however. Disneyland for $66 is a huge value compared to other entertainment options, from other theme parks to movie theater's and so on and so forth. I worked for a railroad back in Colorado (the Durango & Silverton) and we charged $65 for the opportunity to sit on a train and ride it through a canyon -- a very spectacular canyon but still.

Thats so wild to think that $20 a night at the DLH was expensive, but it makes sense given the amount of time between then and now.

And BroncoBob, us Bronco fans need to stick together!
    Class of 2005...

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post
    Oh boy...please lets not just turn this into an APer's are all bad and think they are too good for the park thread.
    I would like to know why some posters are saying that the 2Fer promotion is bringing undesirable people to the park, and that they are avoiding the place because of it.

You know, for a place with a plaque that reads, "Disneyland is your land" those sentiments are mighty closed-minded and elitist.

I want to know what physical thing these people are doing that makes Disneyland a bad place to be during the 2Fer promotion.

• Star Wars/Disney Dork

Has anyone been to Magic Mountain(six flags in CA) latelly? Or Knotts? You want to see "undesirables" go there. I was scared. They have so many gang problems at MM it's ridiculous, never had a problem at DL, ever.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by jdeyemom View Post
    They have so many gang problems at MM it's ridiculous
    Are you going by what you see or what you've heard?

I went to Magic Mountain 5 times in 2007 and never felt afraid, unsafe, or bothered. They really cleaned the place up in my opinion.

• Star Wars/Disney Dork

seen and heard, my sister works security there, but hey if you say they've cleaned up,,,,,,,,,

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    John says "What you talkin' bout Skip?"
    I'll give you that, when they're on they're on... it's just like hitting the lottery, doesn't happen too often. On the bright side I enjoy your enthusiasm and want you to know I support Pop Warner Football!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    Magic Mountain really hasn't raised their prices for a while. The trips i have made in the past 2 years, they have been fairly consistent. Not to mention, that they always offer specials... Just throwing that out there.
    They also had a problem getting people in the gate.

as to the cleanup comment (Not Bronco's) I heard a recent news story that they were planning a "Thomas the Train" themed land.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

I don't mind so much the raise on tickets prices for Disneyland, it is the cost of food that kills me. The popcorn and coke they buy they either get free or pay hardly anything for, yet they charge $7 for a small box of popcorn. Why? What kills me is that it costs a family of four almost $75 for a meal. 3 Times a day and that is $225 a day! How can they afford that?

I remember when a 5 day park hopper was only $135. That was an outstanding deal! I also have a ticket stub that was $25 for one day! WOW! Now, my wife and I buy Annual Passes. They are cheaper in the long run. We are also Disney Vacation Club Members so that also cuts down on Hotel. If we weren't we would never go. Too expensive for us. Even Disneyworld is too expensive. A family really can't afford it unless they scrimp and save for a couple of years. Just like the Disney Cruise....2 times as much as a regular cruise. WOAH!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I'll give you that, when they're on they're on... it's just like hitting the lottery, doesn't happen too often. On the bright side I enjoy your enthusiasm and want you to know I support Pop Warner Football!

They also had a problem getting people in the gate.

as to the cleanup comment (Not Bronco's) I heard a recent news story that they were planning a "Thomas the Train" themed land.

Check out www.Themeparkreview.com for the behind the scened update on Thomasville!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    (edited for more accurate numbers i found)
    Good points. Even just looking at the nighttime shows. I've heard that Fantasmic costs around $30k to run, and Remember is around $33k. If those numbers are even remotely accurate, that's about $93k for a night with two showings of F! and a remember. That's 1,033 $90 tickets (1day/park hopper) or 1550 $60 (1day/1park).
    Seeing as the park can easily bring in 25 times that amount per night, it seems like quite a good deal. Also, those numbers are way off. Remember costs about half that much, and that Fantasmic! quote assumes a two-show night around the year 2000. Optimizations since then have brought that number down.

• Minion

Thanks for all the input from those who visited the park "back in the day." Its just something I have been curious about since I get asked this question at least once a day.

My personal feelings remain the same however. Disneyland for $66 is a huge value compared to other entertainment options, from other theme parks to movie theater's and so on and so forth. I worked for a railroad back in Colorado (the Durango & Silverton) and we charged $65 for the opportunity to sit on a train and ride it through a canyon -- a very spectacular canyon but still.

Thats so wild to think that $20 a night at the DLH was expensive, but it makes sense given the amount of time between then and now.

And BroncoBob, us Bronco fans need to stick together!
    I totally agree with you! The ticket prices are still an amazing deal for Disneyland. Where else can you go where the whole family can attend and have fun. The only thing that would tick me off is if Disney starts charging different ticket prices for Value, Moderate, and High Seasons. Disneyworld is supposedly doing this on their food menus. YUCK!

• Sock Puppet

I think a lot of this 2Fer discussion has to do with racism, even on a psychological level. The promotions bring in people like me, poor Hispanic guests. And when some white annual passholders see more Hispanics in the park they feel less safe. So when people are complaining about the kinds of people at the parks during this promotion, they won't say what truly bothers them. It's the same reason they don't like Knott's or Six Flags.

Controversial I know, but let's face, that's what's really going on.

Check out this thread on [Link to unauthorized site removed].net: http://www.[Link to unauthorized site removed].net/community...howtopic=17164

It's the same type of thing. Oh no, poor Mexicans in Disneyland. Sound the siren!

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokker2 View Post
    I think a lot of this 2Fer discussion has to do with racism, even on a psychological level. The promotions bring in people like me, poor Hispanic guests. And when some white annual passholders see more Hispanics in the park they feel less safe. So when people are complaining about the kinds of people at the parks during this promotion, they won't say what truly bothers them. It's the same reason they don't like Knott's or Six Flags.

Controversial I know, but let's face, that's what's really going on.

Check out this thread on [Link to unauthorized site removed].net: http://www.[Link to unauthorized site removed].net/community...howtopic=17164

It's the same type of thing. Oh no, poor Mexicans in Disneyland. Sound the siren!
    Not that I want to get involved heavily in this but we have thousands of guests that are Hispanic and have an Annual Pass...
    Class of 2005...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Not that I want to get involved heavily in this but we have thousands of guests that are Hispanic and have an Annual Pass...
    Feel free to speak your mind without responding to trolls. Some people are just trying to start a fire where none is needed. Disneyland is expensive but so are most other family things other than the beach and the park.

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Moving back onto safer ground. I realize that a cross country trip to Disneyland is not something that many can do every year, but my earlier question still stands, why shouldn't Disneyland be expensive? The busy seasons seem to be getting longer, the really slow days are just about gone unless it rains with plenty of warning, and the Disney hotels are booked out to about 93% of capacity.

Perhaps the question should be is why is Disneyland so cheap. Perhaps Disney needs to look at raising the prices, including the AP prices. I live 1200 miles away and with the discounts given to an AP holder it is a good bargain for me to by at least one for our family, and we are usually in the park about 6 days a year. The premium AP gets all kinds of discounts that add up quick.

But really I don't want to get into an AP discussion, mostly because we have almost no relevant information from Disney regarding the AP program. We have some rough figures for the number of holders, but we have no data on how many times on average the pass is used and how much the AP program generated in targeted sales and so forth.

What I really hope for is for DCA to become a legitimate second gate that has enough pull to get people out of DL and into DCA. And I hope the second phase manages to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Minion

I remember at one point that there were a lot of Asian people at Disneyland. For some reason it sluffed off.

Then, there were a TON of Hispanic people. That too has sluffed off.

I know that the parks had only English spiels in their rides (Small World Being the Exception) until people who spoke Spanish started flooding the parks. I never had a problem with it until the excuse of children getting hurt was because these families did not know English. All of a sudden, signs were in Spanish everywhere and spiels on the rides were in Spanish. This was in part due to the child who was killed or severely hurt on Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin. From what I read in the article, the family only spoke Spanish and couldn't read the English safety signs. It never once concerned my wife and I that we were unsafe with a bunch of Hispanics in the park as you seem to think Spokker2, but, it does seem like the park had to change many things for those who would not or could not learn English. To me, that was a negative effect on the park.

Now, I don't care who comes to Disneyland. I know that a lot of Goth people come around Halloween for Nightmare Before Christmas at the Haunted Mansion. Many other types of people come to the park for certain occassions. It doesn't bother me. What does bother me is when people in general deface the park and cause the park to change how they work because people are ignorant or stupid. Look at the stupid safety gates on the rides for the idiots who don't stay behind the line. How about the people who try to sue because they had a pre-existing condition that was forewarned on the safety signs? I mean, it is ignorant and sometimes stupid people who cause the things to happen.

If I remember in a article about Matt Ouimet, which I think as here on MiceAge, he was quoted as saying that the prices would raise to keep the "riff-raff" out. Now riff-raff could mean many things to many different people. I completely agree with his thinking and I can see the park is much better now that he has raised the price.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast