Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: DCA is 7 years old today

Ive had alot of wonderful memories at DCA,I remember walking around the park with my then girlfriend Caroline,going on Grizzly then drying off near the fireplace in the Grand Cali.I remember going to DCA with my family and watching Block Party Bash,I remember getting talked into going on Maliboomer and being so nervous! lol....DCA has been a source of many many great memories to me,while the park has its flaws and is far from perfect its still a great place to spend the day.

Happy 7th Birthday DCA!

• "I Break Things"

Wow...7... has it been that long since we lost the parking lot... well Happy belated BDay, hopefully when it's 10 it can claim the title of Theme Park.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

I don't think I have any bad memories of DCA...except the first time I was there, knowing instinctively that it would never measure up to DL, and being incredibly frustrated with the fact that everyone else in the group would rather be in the new park than in the old one that we knew was great. I was so enormously aggravated by the fact that Disneyland was within walking distance, and I had a ticket, but I wasn't there. Soarin' made me feel a little better about DCA, and later trips definitely increased my enjoyment, but ultimately, the new park lived up to my expectations: a rather fun place to go, but wholly lacking the spark Disneyland has, and thus inherently frustrating since you know you're so close to a higher-quality product.

BUT--on to the good memories! There are plenty! Screamin' is my favorite ride at DCA, and I definitely can't wait to ride it again. It's been what, three years or so? Not cool. In a month, I'll get to enjoy it again. Soarin' is still a lot of fun, and ToT is...well, it's not as intense as I expected, but it's good.

• Future Imagineer

Happy 7th DCA!

Best memory would have to be riding TOT for the first time!

I have some not so good memories but I'll save those for a different thread....

• DL Nerd

man some of you guys are spoiled.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

•   
    • Seasick

Fortunately, by the time I first went Tower and Aladdin were open, so my first and best memory was enjoying two E ticket attractions right off the bat.

Worst memory? I still feel deprived that I didn't get to experience Superstar Limo (it just fascinates me that any ride could be that terrible). Also, discovering that the most popular ride, Soarin, is a poorly themed attraction that lacks the immersion factor that other Disney attractions do so well.

My memory of DCA? I love the Hollywood part of the park. I also love the music, all the California theme songs: Route 66, California Girls, Al Jolson, Bing Crosby, The Way to San Jose, et. al. I like the paradise pier. I like Bugland. I like Italian restaurants by the Vineyard. I like the tortilla factory. I like the ferris wheel. I like the ducks in the water. I like the block party rave-ups. I could pass on the throw-up rides, but only because I'm 55 with health problems. All in all, I like the DCA quite a bit.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Best Memory going on ToT for the First time.

My best thoughts of DCA are my daughter...she is also 7 years old. The first time she went she was 6 months old. Too young to really enjoy the rides so we took her on but we have great memories of her on the Sun Wheel and Superstar Limo. There wasn't much there for us to do with her but she was an infant it didn't really matter. As she grew so FFF was added and she loved that. We would spend hours riding Heimlich(sp) over and over till I memorized the different scripts. Then there was the day when she was a "big" girl now and could ride these rides all by herself. Then as she grew and be came more brave, we moved on to more thrilling rides. I remember the first time she rode GRR, TOT and MM.

Then just this year she was almost tall enough to ride California Screaming, in fact with the tennis shoes with the extra tall shoes we picked up at Target she was. We stood on the loading platform for 20 minutes while she worked up the courage to actually get on the ride...she rode it 8 times in a row after that.

My worst memories of DCA are probably from our last trip. We took our usual path and when we ended up at FFF she announced" I don't want to go here I am too big for this now." It's sad to me because she will always be that baby I took less than 7 years ago. Like it or not she is growing up.

Sorry I get a little sappy at 1am.
    I love the smell of burnt coffee in the morning. ..

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by Limoman View Post
    My best thoughts of DCA are my daughter...she is also 7 years old. The first time she went she was 6 months old. Too young to really enjoy the rides so we took her on but we have great memories of her on the Sun Wheel and Superstar Limo. There wasn't much there for us to do with her but she was an infant it didn't really matter. As she grew so FFF was added and she loved that. We would spend hours riding Heimlich(sp) over and over till I memorized the different scripts. Then there was the day when she was a "big" girl now and could ride these rides all by herself. Then as she grew and be came more brave, we moved on to more thrilling rides. I remember the first time she rode GRR, TOT and MM.

Then just this year she was almost tall enough to ride California Screaming, in fact with the tennis shoes with the extra tall shoes we picked up at Target she was. We stood on the loading platform for 20 minutes while she worked up the courage to actually get on the ride...she rode it 8 times in a row after that.

My worst memories of DCA are probably from our last trip. We took our usual path and when we ended up at FFF she announced" I don't want to go here I am too big for this now." It's sad to me because she will always be that baby I took less than 7 years ago. Like it or not she is growing up.

Sorry I get a little sappy at 1am.
    This was great, thanks for sharing. Don't worry, she's a "big girl" now but she'll want to ride all of those rides in a few years when she wants to be daddy's little girl again.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234