• "I Break Things"

People Mover Fun

I was posting a comment in the monthly "bring back the People Mover" thread and realized it's been a while since anyone has posted a concept for the tracks. I had initially thought of something along the lines of a giant marble chute... think oversized hamster exercise balls... but I ran into a few engineering problems. In order to implement that type of ride vehicle it would require a bubble within a bubble, and getting people in, and out, of that bubble would be a major problem. Then I landed on something easier. Place the ride vehicle inside of a giant spinning wheel, and ensure that the wheel is out of reach of anyone sitting in the ride vehicle. Seats would be 4 seaters, sitting across from each other similar to the old PM. The actual vehicle movement would be via the track, the exterior wheel would be strictly for show. It would move while the vehicle is moving, and stop when the vehicle stops, giving the appearance that it is the only means of motion. I would install LEDs on the actual wheel and under the seating vehicle. The LEDs ont he wheel would be an amazing visual effect seen from the ground at night. The glow under the seating compartment would give the appearance of floating within the wheel. I haven't given much thought as to a theme for the actual ride, just thought the vehicle would look cool.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Re: People Mover Fun

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• "I Break Things"

^^ kind of, obviously dressed up, seats 4, safer and a lot bigger. I am still stuck on the storyline.

• Disney Geek

I loved peoplemover! Disney makes alot of good changes to the park, but removing this was not one of them.

• Just one of those days

Neat idea, but you're right, it needs a storyline and a purpose for being in Tomorrowland.

I agree, I used to love to relax and take in the scenery. But I think Disney should make it more like a look at future mass transit than a 'ride'. Isn't that what the people mover was?

• Small Worlds of Walt

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post

That kinda looks like General Grievous' wheel bike from Star Wars Episode III.

Theming solved!

• "I Break Things"

Yes and no, I would rather not have another Star Wars themed attraction. Personally I would love to see the "mass transit" theme applied without the default "something goes horribly wrong" approach.

• =)

Same thing I was thinking, Rob. Very much like his bike. Could work nicely with a Star Tours II tie-in...

I like your idea, techskip. I think it could be cool. Naturally, the Imagineers'd have to be absolutely certain that the big show wheel could never get out of sync with the attraction--how terrible would that be for the illusion if power to the big wheel cut out, leaving the vehicle zooming down the track without the wheel turning.

But honestly, I think WDI needs to do what I think/hope they're doing--wait until Tomorrowland has been properly retooled, and then put something up on the tracks that's consistent with the entire land.

• Boswain on the Explorer

what about Tron. The return of the MCP.
    It's time for Din Din.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    ^^ kind of, obviously dressed up, seats 4, safer and a lot bigger. I am still stuck on the storyline.
    I don't think it needs a storyline. The People Mover never really had a storyline other than it was a transportation system. Not everything needs a "storyline". Story often times refers to "history" or "purpose".

I like the idea a lot. I think they would look awesome up there, especially utilizing the LEDs.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "I Break Things"

So now that I have had a chance to really think about this here goes.

Vehicle design would include the single large wheel which would surround the actual vehicle. Due to this design there would be individual lap bars within the actual "pod" to prevent individuals from standing up and attempting to touch the wheel. The "pod" would also be enclosed with vented glass to further deter individuals from trying to throw things at the wheel or the track. The "pod" would be round, and feature a center control wheel that would allow you to spin in any direction, like teacups. So you have individual movement that spins, giving reflections on glass that could be seen from below. At the same time you have the actual wheel moving. You also have LEDs on the wheel, and under the "pod" allowing the effects of motion and floating when seen at night. Additionally the LEDs ont he wheel would be tied directly into the acceleration of the "pod" spinning. The faster you spin the faster the LED sequence. Hopefully the high amount of fluid motion and lighting effects will provide enough movement to quell the "there used to be more movement" argument. It would not be a fast ride, it would be up to the individual if they chose to spin or simply sit and relax. This allows teens to burn off energy, and little ones to sit and watch. It would have a minimum height requirement due to the need for lap bars.

The easiest "theme" would be a new invention that is being utilized as a means of mass transit. This is the technology of tomorrow, here for you to enjoy. The track would have "cut-outs" with one way glass allowing you to peer into other attractions, but preserving the theme of those attractions by obscuring views of you. Space Mountain would have a specially themed tunnel that looked as if you were in an air tight space tube, complete with 2 air lock chambers on either side. As you roll up the first airlock doors open, behind you they close and then the second set opens "transporting" you into space. The same procedure is repeated on the other side. The vehicles never actually stop.

Innoventions would be slightly more complicated but I am confident WDI could come up with a "wow" factor there.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by awaflyboy View Post
    At least they are finally making additions to a land that has been spiraling into a black hole. Oooo, there's an idea....a ride based on Disney's Black Hole movie.....
    Thank You Thank You Thank You.... this is what you can do in the Space tunnel... have the tunnel breaking apart due to the gravitational force of the black hole. If you didn't want to do the "ride cutouts" you could also do a supernova or other space travel themes.