Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Space Mountain Fanboy

Angry River Belle Terrace (Late-to-the-party Rant)

So I go to Disneyland for the first time since October something. Friend and I were up in Orange County for something else so we figured we'd stop by Disneyland for breakfast at the newly remodeled River Belle Terrace on the way, which is one of our favorite places to eat.

Yeah, we were a little disappointed. Okay, more like angry.

We're fine with the re-deco. That big wall was kinda in the way and everything. But turning it into a Buffeteria style is a crime. River Belle was one of the nicest places to eat. Especially for breakfast.

When I got the Steamboat before, I got it served on two plates. Two real plates. The pancakes on one, the eggs and bacon/sausage on the other. Now I get the pancakes (in suspiciously smaller sizes), eggs (also in suspicously smaller quantities) and bacon all on one cheap plastic platter.

And of course it's not made to order like it used to be. Now they've got the pancakes sitting under heat lamps for up to 10 minutes depending on how long the line is. So the pancakes weren't as good as they used to be. Though that might not have been because of the heat lamps.

Not to mention, the eating utensils used to be silverware, now we get cheap plastic utensils.

You can now also only get orange juice in a packaged bottle or apple juice in a child-sized squeeze box. What the heck, man?

And that's not all, they also raised the prices! woo yay

Disneyland is supposed to be about experiences you can't get at any other theme park. River Belle was a perfect example of this. And now I get the same experience I can at any other park. If I wanted my food served to me on plastic, I'd go to Tomorrowland Terrace for breakfast instead.

Now my only choice is to go to Carnation Cafe or Cafe Orleans for breakfast. Both are fine places and are now clearly superior to River Belle Terrace. However they are slightly less convenient and slightly more expensive than River Belle. Small price to pay for a decent dining experience I guess. *shrug*

Disney/Jay Rasulo/Ed Grier/whoever should be ashamed of themselves for letting the bean counters ruin one of the best dining experiences in the park.

I would think that all the record crowds they keep attracting would mean they'd want to spend more money on the park and its unique experiences and keeping their customers happy instead of going cheap to make more money. But Disney is like any other giant corporate conglomerate I guess. Only interested in maximizing their bottom line no matter who they piss off.

Way to fleece your customers, Disney. Bravo.

• no flash photography...

Re: River Bell Terrace (Late-to-the-party Rant)

yeah, i felt the same way. i haven't been back. we have been having breakfast outside of the park.

• The line's too long...

The place has been empty since they've reopened it, even on crowded days in the park that I've observed. There's even a sign posted outside stating emphatically that the Terrace is open even if it doesn't appear so. It would be interesting to hear from someone in the know, but it appears there's a lot less customers there than before. Serves them right for going cheap...

• I'm not really here

That's really sad to hear. That was our favorite place to get breakfast.

I am extremely disappointed that they would no longer use real silverware and real plates. We may eat there anyway this year on our trip so that we can honestly then go and write a letter at city hall wondering why the lapse in quality.

Getting everything on real plates in generous quantities and having it made right there for you was what made that place so great.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

There was a "We're Open" sign out front whenI was there on Sunday. The place is off my list of decent places to eat. It's horrible.

• Minion

That is sad to hear. My friend and I liked to go there too. I imagine we'll try it once and see.
    I want my cake back!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

late but still valid complaint IMO.
    I don't eat there often, but breakfast used to be really good.
    I don't like the heat lamp idea, esp. because there appears to be no rotation schedule as to having the oldest pancakes go first. I had plenty of time to look because the line was sooooo slow, even w/the premade pancakes.
    I thought the food was GOOD, and I'd eat there again, it wouldn't be one of my first choices.

And I agree about the paper plates and plasticware. It totally cheapens the place and isn't worth the higher prices.

I hear that the lunch is not good at all. I don't even want to try it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Smile Re: River Bell Terrace (Late-to-the-party Rant)

I ate at the River Bell Terrace about three weeks ago for lunch and thought that the lunch options were really good. Also the restaurant is not that much more expensive than most of the other restaurants in the park and the food is good if not better than other restaurants in the park.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

How was the orange juice served there before the refurb?

• Space Mountain Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    How was the orange juice served there before the refurb?
    In cups?

Same with apple juice.

And I just realized I misspelled "River Belle" in the title of my thread.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBrian View Post
    In cups?

Same with apple juice.

And I just realized I misspelled "River Belle" in the title of my thread.
    Ok thanks. The juice is still pretty much the same. The old juice was from concentrate as is the current juice boxes. Obviously they are cutting costs by reducing the necessity of washing the cups (but I am sure they haven't lowered the price).

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

Think of it this way, your heart will appreciate the smaller portions someday!
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

• Space Mountain Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Ok thanks. The juice is still pretty much the same. The old juice was from concentrate as is the current juice boxes. Obviously they are cutting costs by reducing the necessity of washing the cups (but I am sure they haven't lowered the price).
    They were disposable cups, so they wouldn't have to wash them.

It was just nice getting a good amount of juice instead of the tiny amount in the skinny little bottle or the tiny child-size juice box.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBrian View Post
    They were disposable cups, so they wouldn't have to wash them.

It was just nice getting a good amount of juice instead of the tiny amount in the skinny little bottle or the tiny child-size juice box.
    I didn't know that. They should get larger sized juice boxes then. But it looks like the juice itself hasn't changed much -- from concentrate in either case.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    The place has been empty since they've reopened it, even on crowded days in the park that I've observed. There's even a sign posted outside stating emphatically that the Terrace is open even if it doesn't appear so. It would be interesting to hear from someone in the know, but it appears there's a lot less customers there than before. Serves them right for going cheap...
    It's eery. I haven't seen it packed out yet, and I've been on some fairly crowded days. I wonder how long it will take for them to figure out that the prices are insane and the quality has taken a giant step backward.

Last Thursday, the park was pretty FULL. As I came down from a stampede through Tarzan's Treehouse, I cut through the River Belle.

At 5:15 pm.

I think there were a grand total of TWO people in line. And they were just staring at the $12.00 sandwiches trying to decide if they were for real.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast