• Can't get enough Disney

October or January

We are trying to decide when to go and we are thinking either early to mid October. Or the sometime during the first 3 weeks of January. So we would either got to see the Halloween decorations or get to see dome of the Christmas decorations or none at all. The only other thing is one of our kids turns 3 in Dec so we would have to pay for him in January. What would you do??? Thank you so much.
    Finally Coming Back after 5 long years. Can't wait for Oct.

• DL Nerd

Re: October or January

I think the crowds would be less in Oct.

*waves to fellow Utahn*
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

actually crowds are less in January

• A Weather Eye Open

octoberish is very nice, it wasn't awfully crowded at all this past year, except for on gay days. plus lovely weather.

weather in january is hit or miss. i wasn't in the park much until the end of january this year, but i'd expect it'd be less crowded.

go in oct, and use the money you save from you son being young on a fun character dinner or something!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd go in October.

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by anaheimgirl79 View Post
    actually crowds are less in January
    see thats why You NEVER listen to Junthor
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Hiding in the shadows

Crowds will be better in Jan, but I would go in October because the park is totally decked out for Halloween and more attractions will pprobably be open, plus you won;t have to pay admission for the kidlet. The park in October is my favorite time of the year and depending on the week its not too crowded. I think the 2nd week of October is when a lot of schools are out so the first or third weeks would be best.

A little piece of heaven

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Another Utahn here. We've gone in October over UEA before and it can be quite crowded. We did see quite a few people from home in Disneyland that weekend. You also have gay days in early October which can bring in the crowds on a couple days too. Here's a link to check other events going on in the area:

http://www.anaheimoc.org/calendar/index.asp

If it were me, I'd go in October over January. However, we like Christmas decorations more than Halloween decorations so truthfully we really like the first couple weeks of December when the kids are all still in school. We can't really do that time of year anymore now that our kids are older and can't miss school as easily.

Good luck! Disneyland at any time of year is better than reality anywhere else

• Knight that says Nee!!

I agree with MollyTrolly. I would go in October personally because the seasonal decoration are awesome. If you are looking for less crowds it would be in January.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Gay Days and CHOC Walk used to be held on the same weekend in October so whatever weekend it fell on one could expect to se huge crowds.

This last year they were held on different weekends in October so the crowds weren't nearly as bad.

I would hope that this year they are not held at the same time. I wouldn't think so, but I have no idea.

But I vote for October because that's when my birthday is!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

My experience is that the 3rd week of October is a good choice. The first week you have a lot of locals coming to check out the Halloween decor, the second week is usually Gay Days/Columbus Day/UEA week which makes for very large crowds. Although, I think Columbus Day is later this year. Some of the Arizona and Nor Cal schools on modified year round schedules have 2 weeks off in October as well, usually falling during the first 2 full weeks of the month.

Given a choice though, I would still pick October. The kidlet is free (I like the idea to spend some of that savings on a character meal!) and there are more things open due to it not being as "off season" as January might be. Plus, there is the weather. It seems, at least this year, to have rained A LOT in January.

Good luck and keep us posted! We're planning on the week of Oct. 20 ourselves!

Edit to add dates: I haven't found any info on CHOC walk yet, but last year it was held Oct. 21. Gay Days Anaheim is scheduled for October 3-5 - if those fall into your dates, be aware of the need to book hotel rooms earlier than you normally may plan for. CHOC walk doesn't usually require a need for earlier hotel planning as most of the walkers are local and the event only brings in the crowds on the "day of" which would be a Sunday again I imagine.
    Last edited by tinkermonkey; 02-12-2008 at 01:38 PM.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i also recommend October, you'll get the lovely halloween decorations and get to experience Haunted Mansion Holiday, if you go during the first 3 weeks of Jan. you risk going during HM's downtime while they undress it and i'd rather have HMH than no mansion at all.

of course i'm completely biased towards october, and i'll have to throw in you could hire a babysitter for the youngin' and head over to Knott's Berry Farm for Haunt one of the nights in october...can't do that in January!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

October is a great time to go to The Park. There are less crowds and the Halloween decorations are up. You can purchase tickets to DCA's Halloweentime party... everyone can dress up in their costume and have a grand ol' time.

I hope you have a great trip!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Can't get enough Disney

Thanks everyone. It looks like Oct is going to win. Now to get everything arranged. Just have to wait to make sure everything is going to work out. Thanks again.
    Finally Coming Back after 5 long years. Can't wait for Oct.