Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• dream out loud

Will there ever be a Wescot?

There was once at Epcot planned for Anaheim, but it was never built (due to budgetary reasons as I've read) and instead they went with California Adventure.

Will there ever be a Wescot? Wouldn't it be great to have our own World Showcase? Anyone know any valid insider information on this one? Or should we just randomly speculate without any regard for the truth? (j/jk)

• Adventurer Slash Explorer

Re: Will there ever be a Wescot?

I don't know about if there will be one, but somehow I find this highly unlikely. Just because there already is an Epcot, and why would I fly to Disney World for an experience just an hour away?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I doubt there will ever be a Westcot on the scale that was planned for Anaheim. There just isn't the land for it any more. However, we may see some of those ideas recycled in the plans for a 3rd park. So many different plans have been kicked around for that piece of land. But my favorite would be a Disney's World Showcase park with lots of thematic rides, restaurants, and shops. A park that you would want to go to for fun and shopping during the day and dine in at night. With a great lagoon show thrown in for good measure - of course.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I think that train has left town. Hopefully they can come up with something unique and creative.

• Rock Star Minion

No.
    First, there is no space for it, even if DCA were bulldozed over. The Grand Californian Hotel would also have to be demolished.
    Second, there was also a lot of resident uproar over the Westcot plans.

Next question.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I'm really throwing caution to the wind here, but I'm going to just throw my self to the wolves and say what I feel: I really, really hope not.

I know Westcot is held with incredible esteem; a blue-sky could-have-been wistfulness made all the stronger by the searing disappointment of DCA, but I've always felt it was a bad idea. Though well-themed and certainly pretty to look at, the World Showcase at WDW Epcot offers fairly little beyond the facades but mediocre food, a couple of D or C ticket rides, and a few pedantic and inevitably underdeveloped semi-educational films.

Indeed, though it is well-revered amongst many in the Disneyphile community, Epcot itself has typically proven a mixed bag. Initially a strange blend between Disney whimsy and technological, scientific, and cultural education, the park has changed much in recent years--moving towards more of a movie-based (Nemo) and soft-thrill (Mission Space and Test Track) focus largely due to lukewarm guest reactions. The "edutainment" aspect of Epcot has always been a difficult sell, as Disney has tried to move away from its proven formula, selling a stylized thematic approach to worlds of fantasy, towards a more real-world perspective of science and world culture.

Remember, too, that Epcot wasn't even realized as Walt Disney himself imagined. The "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow" that made it to blueprints was already a lesson in the pragmatic failings of the concept originally envisioned as a living, breathing, futuristic city/park hybrid. The realization of the logistical shortcomings of the design resulted in an awkward hodgepodge of mixed conceits that was already a failure, in some respects.

It really isn't a very magical place (and I realize I have no qualifying way to establish that, but I feel it strongly nonetheless), and I'm always baffled at the romanticism thrown towards a west coast port of it. If we are going to settle for ported concepts, I'd go for DisneySea "West" anyday.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    I'm really throwing caution to the wind here, but I'm going to just throw my self to the wolves and say what I feel: I really, really hope not.

I know Westcot is held with incredible esteem; a blue-sky could-have-been wistfulness made all the stronger by the searing disappointment of DCA, but I've always felt it was a bad idea. Though well-themed and certainly pretty to look at, the World Showcase at WDW Epcot offers fairly little beyond the facades but mediocre food, a couple of D or C ticket rides, and a few pedantic and inevitably underdeveloped semi-educational films.

Indeed, though it is well-revered amongst many in the Disneyphile community, Epcot itself has typically proven a mixed bag. Initially a strange blend between Disney whimsy and technological, scientific, and cultural education, the park has changed much in recent years--moving towards more of a movie-based (Nemo) and soft-thrill (Mission Space and Test Track) focus largely due to lukewarm guest reactions. The "edutainment" aspect of Epcot has always been a difficult sell, as Disney has tried to move away from its proven formula, selling a stylized thematic approach to worlds of fantasy, towards a more real-world perspective of science and world culture.

Remember, too, that Epcot wasn't even realized as Walt Disney himself imagined. The "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow" that made it to blueprints was already a lesson in the pragmatic failings of the concept originally envisioned as a living, breathing, futuristic city/park hybrid. The realization of the logistical shortcomings of the design resulted in an awkward hodgepodge of mixed conceits that was already a failure, in some respects.

It really isn't a very magical place (and I realize I have no qualifying way to establish that, but I feel it strongly nonetheless), and I'm always baffled at the romanticism thrown towards a west coast port of it. If we are going to settle for ported concepts, I'd go for DisneySea "West" anyday.
    I totaly agree with you actualy! I'm thinking that we don't need a Disneysea but at least something with jules Verne themed area(like the mysterious island but bigger)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    No.
    First, there is no space for it, even if DCA were bulldozed over. The Grand Californian Hotel would also have to be demolished.

Next question.
    If they keep the Tower of Terror, that is okay with me.

• Drunk On Disney!

No.

Next question.
    What kind of resident uproar???

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I doubt there will ever be a Westcot on the scale that was planned for Anaheim. There just isn't the land for it any more. However, we may see some of those ideas recycled in the plans for a 3rd park. So many different plans have been kicked around for that piece of land. But my favorite would be a Disney's World Showcase park with lots of thematic rides, restaurants, and shops. A park that you would want to go to for fun and shopping during the day and dine in at night. With a great lagoon show thrown in for good measure - of course.
    I agree completely!!! I have often thought a World Showcase park would be great for the possible 3rd park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Each country would have to be much more well fleshed out than in EPCOT. Every country in a World Showcase park should at least be on the scale of New Orleans Square. They all don't have to have two E-Tickets, but they should be more than a store and a restaraunt housed in architecture that resembles a certain country, The World Showcase never makes me feel like I am in a different land, it just makes me feel like I'm in a really nice shopping and dining complex.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I hope we see a water Park and another Amusement Park one day but it will be at least another 10 years before we see either or at least until DCA is a much more successful park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post

I much rather have a Disney Sea "West" as the 3rd gate also. Westcot was going to be better than EPCOT in some regards. It was going to have a roller coaster along the Great Wall of China in the World Showcase for example. The current state of EPCOT is extremely poor. Last December, on my most recent WDW trip, I was at WDW for 8 days. I spent the least amount of time at EPCOT by far. Spaceship Earth was closed, so that contributed to spending less time there, but still EPCOT offeres very little that I enjoy. The only things that were open that I really enjoyed were Test Track and the Malestrom and they pale in comparasion to my favorite Disney rides. The thing is, Westcot has a lot of potential if done right. Body Wars was actually a good direction for EPCOT, it combined thrills, fantasy, and education into one attraction. It didn't need to be closed, just updated. EPCOT is currently the most boring Disney park in America, even DCA is more entertaining thanks to the Tower of Terror, Aladdin, and Muppet-Vision 3D.

• May the F=ma be with you

Last edited by WDW Monorail; 02-12-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    What kind of resident uproar???
    I'll try to find a link.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I'll try to find a link.
    I seem to recall that there was oppositon on grounds of visual and noise pollution. In other words, Spaceship Earth would be huge and visible from neighborhoods miles away (Which is why DCA's ToT is partially underground), and the concern that it would be very loud. Notice how Calif Screamin' has all those noise shields to reduce the impact of people's screams on local neighborhoods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast