Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: New House of the Future

Because it's the Microsoft House of the Future, it will need to be rebooted often, have sudden freezes, and require lots of expensive hardware upgrades. It will be finished 7 years late and have most of the original ideas stripped out. Visitors who are unhappy with the House of the Future will have the option of downgrading to the house of the present.

• Minion

It's downright scary how fast you guys get information...

• Minion

I wonder if this will be an attempt to strenghten relations with China, so Disney can build Shanghai Disneyland. The tagline on opening day would be: "You thought Hong Kong Disneyland was small, you haven't seen anything yet."

This will be better than the current bottom floor of Innoventions and it will tie into the Tomorrowland theme, but do you know what I really want to see in the Innoventions building?
    A new non-franchise related show using the Caroseul theatre set up.

House of the future returns!

Disney Revives 'House of the Future'
    (AP) -- Millions of Disneyland visitors lined up a half-century ago to catch a glimpse of the future: a home teeming with mind-blowing gadgets such as handsfree phones, wall-sized televisions, plastic chairs, and electric razors and toothbrushes.
    The "House of the Future," a pod-shaped, all-plastic dwelling that quickly seemed quaint closed its doors a decade later. Now Disney is set to open a new abode in Tomorrowland - this time in partnership with 21st century technology giants.

The 5,000-square-foot home scheduled to open in May will look like a normal suburban home outside, but inside it will feature hardware, software and touch-screen systems that could simplify everyday living.

Lights and thermostats will automatically adjust when people walk into a room. Closets will help pick out the right dress for a party. Countertops will be able to identify groceries set on them and make menu suggestions.

The $15 million home is a collaboration of The Walt Disney Co., Microsoft Corp., Hewlett-Packard Co., software maker LifeWare and homebuilder Taylor Morrison.

Visitors will experience the look of tomorrow by watching Disney actors playing a family of four preparing for a trip to China.

"It's much different than a spiel that you would get at a trade show," said Dave Miller, director of alliance development for Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. "We won't get into the bits and the bytes. It will be about the digital lifestyle and how that lifestyle can help you."

The actors will be in a flurry of cooking, packing and picture-taking designed to emphasize cutting-edge features in the home's two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room, study and back yard.

Much of the project will showcase a network that makes the house "smart" and follows family members from room to room - even adjusting artwork - to preset personal preferences.

When a resident clicks a TV remote, for example, lights will dim, music will shut off and the shades will draw as the network realizes a movie is about to start.

The system will allow residents to transfer digital photos, videos and music among televisions and computers in different rooms at the click of a button. Other applications still in development could include touch-screen technology built into appliances, furniture and countertops, said Joe Belfiore, Microsoft's vice president for entertainment services.

In the kitchen, for example, touchpad software on the countertop would be able to identify groceries and produce recipes and meal suggestions. Similar programs could turn a desktop into a computer screen, allowing residents to load photos, music or e-mail onto a cell phone by placing it on the desk.

Mirrors and closets could identify clothes and suggest matching outfits, complimentary colors or track what apparel is at the cleaners or in the wash.

The home will also feature new uses for devices that many visitors may already own, as well as technologies that are still five or 10 years down the road, said Mike Seamons, vice president of marketing at LifeWare, which makes home automation software.

"If people walk through there and say, 'I don't have anything in this house at all,' then we've totally failed," Seamons said. "We're not waiting for robots to happen in order for it to be a reality."

When it comes to aesthetics, designers decided to stray from the Jetsons-style House of the Future - an all-plastic cross design with four wing-shaped bays that appeared to float. The house was so tough that wrecking balls bounced off it when Disney ripped it down in 1967.

The new home will be made of wood and steel and finished in muted browns and beiges, said Sheryl Palmer, president and chief executive of Taylor Morrison in North America.

"The 1950s home didn't look like anything, anywhere. It was space-age and kind of cold," she said. "We didn't want the (new) home to intimidate the visitors. We want the house to be real accessible to our guests."

http://www.physorg.com/news122116242.html

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: House of the future returns!

There is a old Thread on this
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ure-90144.html
    Thank you posting

Welcome to micechat.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• Rock Star Minion

A 5000 square foot home with only two bedrooms?
    How about a house that's tiny and saves energy but feels big?
    And doesn't Bill Gates' house do this stuff already? I think it helped him pick his wife.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Wasn't this kind of the point of Innoventions? To showcase things like this?
    dreams. come. true.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    A 5000 square foot home with only two bedrooms?
    How about a house that's tiny and saves energy but feels big?
    And doesn't Bill Gates' house do this stuff already? I think it helped him pick his wife.
    mmmhmm tis true and aptly funny

why do we need a house of random extraneous gadgets and do dads? I don't want a house with TV's the size of my bedroom wall, I do just fine with my 17inch screen. In my opinion, any place that doesn't resemble Ray Bradburys depiction of the future in "Fahrenheit 451" is a good pass.
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 02-14-2008 at 06:46 PM.

I wonder if steve jobs will check it out

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: House of the Future at DL returns in May (Merged Threads)

If the outside is going to look like a suburban home, does that mean the lower floor won't be spinning anymore?

• Vehicle rotating backward

How about we put it on the top floor and the original Carousel ride on the bottom floor?

No?

Darn.

• Minion

I’m sorry I never liked the idea of the house of the future. To me Mindlessness and hedonism is not promising, just creepy. And I worry too that the building will no longer rotate. Heres hoping that Disney gets this one right.

Re: House of the Future at DL returns in May

Quote Originally Posted by disneyhound View Post
    Would be interesting if Innoventions actually had something worth the attendance! Last time we were inside was 2001, many visits ago!

I don't know about 2001 but they had a display of fat, 1 lb., 5 lbs., 10 lbs... when I was there last July.

When I got home straight after that I signed up for Jenny Craig and have lost 30 lbs. since then, thank god. I'm still on my way but just to be able to have this improved comfort is priceless; a toast to my freedom!

Disney is on a wavelength I tell ya.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Ahh... so it will take the up the bottom floor of Innovations
    that makes sense
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast