Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Disneyland landscaping - the underappreciated detail

I always think we SEE the landscaping at Disneyland and DCA, and we appreciate the beauty of it. But so oftentimes many people overlook just how incredibly detailed the landscaping really is at the parks.

Like the plants around Nemo all look like they are plants you might see underwater. Or the beautiful flowers all over Main Street that are changed so often overnight too keep it fresh and lovely. The plants around BTMRR all look desert-y.

So often we focus on the details of the buildings, and what is put inside the buildings. But I think the landscaping is a HUGE part of the magic that makes Disneyland, DCA and ALL the parks special.

I know Fishbulb and others post detailed landscape photos in trip reports. I'd love to see more from other people.

So what do ya say? Got some wonderful up close pictures of pansies at the Hub? How about some birds of paradise at DCA? Let's show off the gardens of the parks shall we? Let's shall

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Disneyland landscaping - the underappreciated detail

I never underappreciate the flowers. By the flag pole, of course the hub and the always underated NOS train station are always perfect. I envy how perfect Dinsey keeps their landscaping.

Chad

• Really!?

i never thought about them switching flowers over night. wow. I just thought they were gardening genius'

• =)

Overall, yes, the landscaping is highly underappreciated. I tend to pay a lot of attention to it, personally, but more to the big stuff than the little stuff. Use of trees, different types, shrubbery, stuff like that. Partly because they help hide the show buildings from my prying eyes.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Overall, yes, the landscaping is highly underappreciated. I tend to pay a lot of attention to it, personally, but more to the big stuff than the little stuff. Use of trees, different types, shrubbery, stuff like that. Partly because they help hide the show buildings from my prying eyes nosey micechatters.

Helped you out there Data.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Not only do they look nice, but the plants and flowers also help to enhance the themes of certain areas. You mentioned the underwater type plants at the subs for example.

But there are some areas where this theming is crucial. I am thinking the transitional areas between the hub and Frontierland and Adventureland. The types of plants and their placement in these areas serve as the perfect blend to allow the guest to transfer seamlessly from Main Street into these areas. It may not be directly noticeable but on a subconscious level the effect is incredible.

• Inhospitable about happy

The DL garden and landscape teams are the most consistently excellent in the whole operation. Really, have they ever been less than great? Who does it better? As well?

You notice that DaddyB leans heavily on their work in his gorgeous photo spreads, and he's a smart photog to do so.

• Dont make me unfriend you

I used to work on the custodial crew that works from Midnight to 8 am. So, I would see the landscapers out a lot. They did amazing work. They would completely change all of the flowers in a certain planter in one shift.

I must admit that at the time I worked there, I sometimes hated them. They would just finish their work. There would be dirt on the ground around the planter where they have been working all night. Then the crew I worked with, would have to hose down the sidewalk where they worked (to clean up all of the dirt) and have the area dried before the parked opened. Sometimes it made for some stress times as we tried to quickly finish cleaning up after the landscapers.

But now, it's not my problem any longer

I do love how they make the park look.

•   
    • Proud Nerdist

I love the use of vegetable plantings on the entrance to tomorrow land. It's a very clever change from the usual ground cover material.

• I Can Show You the World

The part I like is how all the plants and flowers in tomorrowland are edible. That is a really nice touch. I wish they would promote that one up more, showing how you can beautifully landscape and garden at the same time. There have been times when I've sat in line for buzz that I've wanted to just pluck a few leaves of the lettuce to have something to nibble on...

• Mischievous Mouse

I've always been/felt more limited on photos in the past, this time I'm gonna go wild, and the landscape is a prime secondary target. I love the attention to detail.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

I miss all the sculpted trees (I forget the exact name) of characters that they have so much of in WDW

but yes, these are the critical details that people don't consciously notice. But do notice when they are absent (see DCA)
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    I used to work on the custodial crew that works from Midnight to 8 am. So, I would see the landscapers out a lot. They did amazing work. They would completely change all of the flowers in a certain planter in one shift.

I must admit that at the time I worked there, I sometimes hated them. They would just finish their work. There would be dirt on the ground around the planter where they have been working all night. Then the crew I worked with, would have to hose down the sidewalk where they worked (to clean up all of the dirt) and have the area dried before the parked opened. Sometimes it made for some stress times as we tried to quickly finish cleaning up after the landscapers.

But now, it's not my problem any longer

I do love how they make the park look.
    I know exactly how you feel. I was an opening day custodial lead many times, and cleaning up after landscapers just before opening sure was really fun.

I do appreciate their hard work and sure makes the park really special. Here's one scene that caught my eye (sorry for the quality used my camphone).

• Who's your DaddyB?

Thanks for titling this thread UNDERappreciate. not UNappreciated. There have always been nuts like me that love the gardening and landscaping skills at the parks.

There's even a book "Secrets of Disney's Glorious Gardens" ($22 new at Amazon). I only found out about this book yesterday when I was in the Disneyana store on Main Street. Notice it's not just Disneyland.

This time of year we're starting to see the tulips come out like crazy. Late Winter / Spring is my favorite time of year for Disneyland. I'm not a big snapdragon fan as they look too weedy unless they're all in full bloom. Right now along the Main Steet Station that's what you get... But around the "partners" statue right now it's a riot of Tulips. Expect a few tulip shots in my next update, including a panoramic of the area.

Just waiting for the cherry trees to blossom...

In my previous update (not the current one) I actually got into the park early, and got a shot of the landscapers at work with their cart on Main Street. It's the first shot in the update.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Silent Lucidity

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I miss all the sculpted trees (I forget the exact name) of characters that they have so much of in WDW
    you be looking for "topiary" i be guessin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast