Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Vandalism on Space Mountain: Mindboggling!

Got a chance to ride the "new" Space Mountain last night (8/3) and as I entered the queue of the structure itself, one of the first things I saw was a huge plate sized section of the silver paint freshly peeled (almost like wallpaper) off the wall and lying on the ground. While I was still busy shaking my head in disgust, I glance at one of the silver metallic resessed plates imbedded in the lower walls of the walkway/hallway and I can see that maintenance has already had to "sand" off some type of graffitti scribed into the metal. As I'm openly chatting with my friends about this, we look up and one of the long, mesh metal panels that line to top of the hallway/walkway is missing! Obviously someone had pulled on it and it subsequently came loose. By this time my disgust is on after-burners when I finally notice that the doorway jam between the hallway and the main ride loading room is totally pockmarked with scrapes and an alphabet of initials scratched in. It looked more like several years old, rather than several weeks old.

I can not phathom or comprehend why anyone would choose to intentionally deface or damage this brand new (or any attraction for that matter) attraction. Don't people who see this try to stop it or at least report the offenders to the CM's?

This ride is not even a month old and some idiots have already disgraced the great work that Disney has put into SM. It absolutely amazes me how stupid and barbaric some people can be.

Do I fault maintenance for allowing this to be seen? In a perfect world, yes, it would be great to have this type of vandalism covered up immediately, but maintenance can only do so much in a certain amount of time. Beside, this post isn't about the maintenance of an attraction, but, rather about the utter callousness of some members of our society.

I'm still amazed that someone could intentionally damage something and think it's funny! I'll never understand this mentality!

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Vandalism on Space Mountain: Mindboggling!

Broken window theory, Walt said it himself.

If a window is broken on a house and not fixed, people will think no one cares, and more windows will get broken. If there's a piece of trash on the ground, one must clean it up right away or more trash will be left. And if there's one bit of graffiti scratched into the wall and not taken care of, people will think it's okay for them to add to it.

Disney's once-famous maintenance used to deal with these things quickly to keep them from multiplying.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I have zero tolerance for that.

Once I saw a guy about to carve something into a large plant at the LA Zoo that had already been scarred up with a ton of graffiti. I bluntly said, "Adding your name to the list of other *******s?"

He muttered something under his breath and walked off, but at least he stopped.

I hate people who do this stuff.

• Minion

People just have no respect for themselves or property anymore... GET RID OF THOSE CHEAP AP's!!!

• Hooterville, USA

That is how our society is today. They don't care about anything but themselves. Vandalism is just that, against the law. Too bad they don't get caught and then we get to see their skill at ruining our park. If I see anyone doing that, I'm squeeling like a pig to the authorities. Disney works too hard at keeping it looking shiny, to have some bonehead tearing it up! Ok, my rant is oficially over.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Broken window theory, Walt said it himself.

You are 100%!!!!

Here in Phoenix, the city has a program called Graffiti Busters, and they basically have several crews who drive around the city in big trucks and paint over any graffiti they see, or get called about. The program is a huge success because taggers put their work up to be seen, and have other taggers compete with them. When you clean up the tag the same day, it all but eliminates any drive or urge to tag there again.

As far as being outraged that some tools would deface our beloved park, I agree, but for frame of reference, people tag rocks at the Grand Canyon, so no where is safe.

I totally saw that same thing. I was there on the 3rd too and I'm pretty sure that vandalism was AFTER 7:00 PM. I had been on the ride 2 times b4 that and never saw it till then. Also when you go through the part of the line with metal panneling there was one on top that had been ripped off. That was also done later in the day. Sooo sad!!

• More Than Meets The Mouse

If I ever see it being done (thankfully I havent, little %$#@*'s) and I have a camera with me, I wont stop them right away but instead take a picture of them in the process of it... that way there is photographic evidence that I was provoked into smacking that person upside the head.
    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymus Prime
    .. that way there is photographic evidence that I was provoked into smacking that person upside the head.

That's a brilliant idea though (not smacking upside the head), but to show DL security or the CM once you're about to load. It'd be great to have DL security waiting for the people when they got to exit the ride.

I'll have to remember this with my digital camera.

We gotta protect our park!

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Taking photos of the act in progress... Brilliant! Everyone keep their cameras at hand... I can't wait to see the faces of these idiots.

• Wonderful World

I really really hate this.A couple of years ago a couple of teens went around my neighborhood and spray painted vulgar and mushrooms and alot of other bad stuff.They even got the elementary school to.It was sad cause ALOT of youngsters live in my neighborhood.I hate how people think they can get away with everything these days.I mean how would they like it if we carved initials in there house or spraypainted there walls?I bet they would be pretty mad
    I'm back MiceChat

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    People just have no respect for themselves or property anymore... GET RID OF THOSE CHEAP AP's!!!
    I hope that was a sarcastic statement. Or maybe just the people who pay $209 instead of $99 or $149 or much better behaved?

Maybe we can arrange a day when only you can go?

Lightbulb Re: Vandalism on Space Mountain: Mindboggling!

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Taking photos of the act in progress... Brilliant! Everyone keep their cameras at hand... I can't wait to see the faces of these idiots.
    OMG.... just another thought: That'd be a fun website idea - post candid photos of vandals, with a description of time, date, and place. Maybe call it www.idiotvandals.com?

• insufferable know-it-all

It would! But would that encourage people to do more damage?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• More Than Meets The Mouse

Ok... maybe I was a little harsh with the whole smacking upside of the head thing... but I sure would think about it. I was pretty much going for the whole showing the pic to the cast member too... but more subtle like so I dont seem like a total tattle-tale... "Hey wanna see a cool picture I took while waiting in line?" Of course I can just imagine the first thoughts that would run thru that persons mind with that comment, but thats a whole other thread I'm sure...
    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast