Preview Center INSIDE of DCA

According to the new AP Newsletter, the Special Preview Center will be inside of DCA. I remember Al posting the possibility that the Preview Center had been proposed to be relocated to the Esplanade.

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al010808a.htm

The first change in the original plans is the removal of the DCA Preview Center from the San Francisco buildings across from Golden Dreams.

Throughout the summer and fall plans and designs were being finished at WDI for a lavish and rather large preview center that would not only showcase all of the new stuff coming to DCA, but also be able to plug the new Disney Cruise Line ships headed to California and the new hotels and development coming to the rest of Disney's Anaheim property.

When Jay Rasulo made his October announcement, it included mention of the Preview Center for those San Fran buildings. But the plans have changed and the currently vacant space is now slated to become a new larger set of restrooms to handle the crowds drawn to the World of Color lagoon show. The current restrooms directly across from the San Fran buildings are now going to be swallowed up by the expanding Little Mermaid ride.
    Not to worry though, as the preview center concept is something very near and dear to John Lasseter's heart. He was the one who pushed for such a concept to be included in not just DCA's makeover, but at all the Disney properties around the world. DCA's Preview Center should be the first to debut, if it can still open sometime later this year.

Instead of being inside the park however, the current frontrunner location is out in the Esplanade between the two parks, near where the first DCA Preview Center was located back in the late '90s. That location would require only a semi-permanent structure however, as once the DCA main entrance opens in 2011 a new location for a permanent preview center would need to be found inside one of the parks, with DCA still the most likely location.

The Esplanade location has some people in TDA excited, and others concerned. There's a thought that having a rather lavish preview center in front of DCA while the main entrance undergoes major construction would help get the word out to arriving tourists exactly what was going on behind the walls. But others are concerned that the sight of a walled off front entrance with a prominent preview center would only reinforce the belief that DCA is closed while it goes under the knife. As the preview center has a great deal of political clout behind it at WDI however, the hesitation about placing it for a few years in the Esplanade is something that TDA is simply going to have to get over. And quickly too, as John Lasseter wants that preview center opened as quickly as possible.
    Well, it looks like the plans have changed:

"Walt's California" is Coming to Disney's California Adventure® Park

Imagine that you are an ambitious young animator back in the roaring 1920's. Step off a gleaming steam train and take in the beauty of a sun-soaked California paradise that promises to make all your dreams come true.
    That's the way it all began for Walt Disney, and soon it will be the way it begins for everyone who enters the re-imagined entry plaza at Disney's California Adventure® Park.
    "The creative evolution of Disney's California Adventure® Park will connect Guests to Walt's own California adventure and reflect the place that he found when he first arrived with a cardboard suitcase in his hand and a head full of dreams," said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
    Beyond the new entry plaza, Guests will discover exciting new attractions, fantastic new entertainment, unique new stores and delicious new dining opportunities, including:
    • A major new attraction based on the animated Disney classic "The Little Mermaid"
    • An amazing nighttime spectacular that plays out on the sparkling waters of Paradise Bay
    • Toy Story Mania! — a new attraction that combines the fun of classic boardwalk games and the Disney*Pixar "Toy Story" films.
    • A 12-acre "Cars" Land that recreates the town of Radiator Springs, complete with three amazing new attractions featuring characters from the hit Disney*Pixar film "Cars."
    Work on some of these enhancements has already begun, and the rest will follow in phases. It's expected that everything will be completed within the next five years.

Be sure to keep an eye out for a special preview center opening soon inside Disney's California Adventure® Park — and check back here for updates!
    The only question is: Where?
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Preview Center INSIDE of DCA

Good question. I wonder what Al has to say about this...?

And I also notice that they refuse to call "World of Color" by name. I just read the Walt Disney Co. 2007 shareholder annual report and it only mentions "a signature nighttime spectacular" in the Disney Parks section about the DCA overhaul. Hmm...
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

Nice catch, 2DieFR.

Very interesting indeed.

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Good question. I wonder what Al has to say about this...?
    I think it is about time for another update from Al, I'm getting anxious for one.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I think it is about time for another update from Al, I'm getting anxious for one.
    Me too - but you know, it might be small inaccuracies like this that make it a good thing that updates happen only on a monthly basis or so.

But then again, Al still might not be the wrong one. The AP newsletter could have been fed through the printers before they knew better than to say "Inside DCA" - before they knew it would be in the esplanade instead of the San Francisco/soon to be larger restroom building. I'm sure AP's and Disney freaks won't care where the preview center is, at any rate. I think we'll salivate over it regardless of its location.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Al only said that the current front runner of plans was in the Esplanade. He never stated that a Preview Center inside the park was entirely out of the question or running.

• Goofy

how exciting.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Cool, I cant wair for 2013, by then DCA will be the second best park in CA.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

DAC can still have the Perview Center in those San Fran buildings.
    Half will Restroom and front half is the Perview Center

Second Place I can think of is the small area of Old "Who want be a millionaire" Buliding.
    Also I think that buliding will house the Lost and found Guest service for the rebuilt of the entrance.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Um, plans change all the time. It was probably changed from the San Fran area to the Esplanade and then back to DCA. Just because he didn't post it was back in DCA doesn't mean he was wrong or right. He goes by what his sources tell him. Maybe he knew the new info but couldn't tell or didn't have enough time to put it in an update or
    Seriously.

I am curious too where they're gonna put it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Um, plans change all the time. It was probably changed from the San Fran area to the Esplanade and then back to DCA. Just because he didn't post it was back in DCA doesn't mean he was wrong or right. He goes by what his sources tell him. Maybe he knew the new info but couldn't tell or didn't have enough time to put it in an update or
    Seriously.

I am curious too where they're gonna put it.
    I was not stating Al was right or wrong. As I put it in my OP, it looks like plans have changed.

This was merely an update to the story.

Now where exactly they plan on putting it is an excellent question?

I find the use of the term "Walt's California" in the newsletter interesting. Given the rumors of a possible DCA name change, I wonder if they might already be testing the waters for an eventual change to "Walt Disney's California Adventure" or just "Walt Disney's California."
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    I find the use of the term "Walt's California" in the newsletter interesting. Given the rumors of a possible DCA name change, I wonder if they might already be testing the waters for an eventual change to "Walt Disney's California Adventure" or just "Walt Disney's California."
    How about "Disney's Walt Disney Adventure by Disney, A Disney Co. at the Disneyland Resort.................DISNEY!"

Quote Originally Posted by Drum-&-Train View Post
    How about "Disney's Walt Disney Adventure by Disney, A Disney Co. at the Disneyland Resort.................DISNEY!"
    Lol, but you kind of fergot to put "California" somewhere in that long name.

Anyways... I would love to see the preview inside DCA, but as long as they put it somewhere its ok with me.