• bigreddisneygirl

Smile Need feedback on reserved viewing for Fantasmic

i will be at DL on Aug. 26-29 and i just tried to get a seat at the desert buffet
    on the gallery balcony but it is sold out, they do have seats available down by the water-my question is does anyone have an opinion on this area? how is the view from there? would it be better just to see it from the "free area"
    thanks for any info!!!

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Re: Need feedback on reserved viewing for Fantasmic

We were close to this area once, as the fireworks were "winded" out and we were on the 50th tour. They gave us Fantasmic seats instead, and it was great. Really close to the action, but we weren't center stage. Some elements of Fantasmic are better from the center, but it was still pretty good.

Would we have paid $$$ to see it there? Probably not, but just because we really want to sit on the balcony once. Just depends what your budget is.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• DL Alumni

Does the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet still offer same day reservations? Where you head on over to Guest Services early morning? Or do they take up to a couple of days in advance with a phone number you can call?

I would like to do this for my Birthday this coming Sat. Aug. 13th. Not sure if I have to head to the park early to snag a spot. I did this years ago so Im sure it its changed or not.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mlle. Upanova
    And there's something else they can enjoy too: PINEAPPLE!

Upanova you can make reservations over the phone via the "Disney Dine" number
    714-781-DINE (3463). I believe they take reservations up to 90 days in advance so you might want to call soon. Happy Birthday!

Dels11 the view from the reserved seats is not as good as front row center. The advantage would be that you could walk up 30 minutes before show time and have great seats with back support. I know the good "free" seats you have to wait a few hours before hand. Waiting is fun, you get to meet some great people!

• bigreddisneygirl

Hey Upanova happy birthday!!! i am going in 3 weeks and i just called the resort and the balcony seats are sold out until september but they had 30 or so seats left down by the water for the early show and all the seats available for the 10:30 so you will probably have no problem the day of your visit!
    firemouse thanks for you info!!

We have been doing the balcony since F! opened (before they charged itfor it, was first come first serve with no buffet).We did it as recently as 7/05/2005. We wanted to top off 7/17/2005 with a special experience that we hadn't done before, so I booked seats for F! Riverside seating.

For us it was a waste of money. The seats are nothing more than wooden folding chairs painted white.

You had to check in as soon as they set up for the first show, then again 1 hour before the show you would be at and then return 30 mintues before your show was to start. Going back and forth through F! crowds that many times, took away any benefit of having a reserved seat.

The view is 2nd rate, and most seats are between two water screens so your view of them is blurred.

There is a walkway and a general seating area right beneath the reserved area and the foot traffic, guests getting up and down, and the CMs dismanteling the walkway before the show ends is distracting at the very least. The seat are set up to avoid the stone pilars so your group can be sat with total strangers on one or both sides of you. There are no tables to set anything on so you have to use the ground as your table.

They use paper cups, napkins and plastic plates. They don't even have plastic eating utensils, if you want to cut and item.

The food is nothing that you can't get elsewhere in the parks or at the hotels. Rice kispie traets, chocolate covered strawberrys, rasberry filled cookies, chocolate macaroons, and a fruit biscotti. Beverages are soda, coffie, and water. There is no sneeze guard over the food, and most of it is at eye level. I also found it amazing that every food item was gone when I looked back at the buffet halfway through the show. So either they aren't offering enough or people that go there figure with the so so view they will get their $56 worth by over eating.

I found the service to be average to below average. While everyone was nice they didn't even ask if you wanted a refill on the one beverage they give you when you are seated. When I got up and asked for a refill they had me stand their while they refilled my cup, rather then telling me to be seated and enjoy the show and bringing me a new cup of hot chocolate. When we arrived we weren't seated until about 15 minutes before the show started as the group before us was allowed to sit and chat way after their show ended and then we got to see janitorial come in and clean uo the mess the last group left. At no time did anyone offer an apology or even try and talk to the group to distract them.

Overall, if DL offered to *pay me* to sit there again, I'd decline.

If you want to pay $56 for a great view, top notch service, and heavenly sweets then try to get the balcony, it is worth every penny.

BTW you do not call the dine line for F! resssies. You call 1-714-781-4400. Tickets go on sale 30 days in advance. The balcony usually sells out within the first 5 minutes the line is open. If you are staying on property then VP can make your ressies for you and your tickets will be waiting for you at checkin vs having to go pick them up the day of the show.

Good luck to all!

dsny1mom

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Quote Originally Posted by dsny1mom
    You had to check in as soon as they set up for the first show, then again 1 hour before the show you would be at and then return 30 mintues before your show was to start. Going back and forth through F! crowds that many times, took away any benefit of having a reserved seat.
    You can check in whenever you want, granted it is seated on a first-come, first-serve basis.

I found the service to be average to below average. While everyone was nice they didn't even ask if you wanted a refill on the one beverage they give you when you are seated. When I got up and asked for a refill they had me stand their while they refilled my cup, rather then telling me to be seated and enjoy the show and bringing me a new cup of hot chocolate. When we arrived we weren't seated until about 15 minutes before the show started as the group before us was allowed to sit and chat way after their show ended and then we got to see janitorial come in and clean uo the mess the last group left. At no time did anyone offer an apology or even try and talk to the group to distract them.
    Although this sounds like a bad experience, it is uncommon and I have found that the cast members who run Fantasmic are some of the best in the park. The level of service we have always received has been exceptional.

Certainly the balcony is more exclusive and has china, however, as a second option, the riverside is fine.

As it is for a birthday, PM me and I will take care of the seating for your group so you do not have to spend a dime to experience the show. I am sure that once you experience the riverside seating you will want to return again in the future.
    Last edited by Disneynut; 08-05-2005 at 03:23 PM.

Yes, seating is first come first seated . However if you want the front row and to be seated anywhere close to the center of the show you had better be in the first 5 or so groups or you are out of luck. Even the best seats are not that great. People get a better view by seating in the general seating area for free.

Yes, our experience was less than good. I have talked to a number of people, who have said similar things since, so I have to say by no means was my experience uncommon. If my experience was isolated then I wouldn't have posted it here, nor would I be telling people to do this with the risk of being dissatisfied.

I still stand by my opinion. If you can get balcony then do so (it's so worth it, IMHO), but if you can't then go to the second showing for free. Your wait time will be about an hour or so, and yes you have to sit on the ground. But it won't cost you $56 per person for a so so view, a folding chair and snacks and beverages you can substitute with eqaully nice tiems, for a whole lot less.

dsny1mom

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Yes, our experience was less than good. I have talked to a number of people, who have said similar things since, so I have to say by no means was my experience uncommon. If my experience was isolated then I wouldn't have posted it here, nor would I be telling people to do this with the risk of being dissatisfied.
    Actually, research on this site shows a number of people who enjoy the riverside seating. Some enjoy it more than the balcony. It sells out routinely so it can't be all that bad, someone keeps coming back. I am sorry that you had a bad experience, but realize this is a buffet and not meant to be first-class table service during the middle of a 23 minute show.

I still stand by my opinion. If you can get balcony then do so (it's so worth it, IMHO), but if you can't then go to the second showing for free. Your wait time will be about an hour or so, and yes you have to sit on the ground. But it won't cost you $56 per person for a so so view, a folding chair and snacks and beverages you can substitute with eqaully nice tiems, for a whole lot less.
    I can respect your opinion, but I disagree. As I said before, if the OP would like to go for free, PM me and I will take care of it. I feel that once you get the chance to see it firsthand, you will agree that it is a good spot to watch Fantasmic.

• DL Alumni

I was going for the Balcony seats. I did the buffet a couple of years ago and just did the first-come first-served in the morning and got decent seats up there. I just wanted to try it again for my birthday but if they are sold out, then we'll probably check out the Fab Four that night instead or hunker down by the shore.

Disney Gallery Balcony is much better IMHO than the Riverside seating. China, silverwear and all. I enjoyed it very much a couple of years ago, and you do get treated very nicely up there. There is one seat up there with a "pole view" that I got but it didint matter. Maybe I can get the "Pole View" again! LOL!

I once spotted the actor from the Seinfield episode with the Chinese Resturant, the dude who played the Asian "Matre D'." Forget the guy's name but he's in a lots of TV shows, usually playing an Asian Businessman.

Also last week we spotted the lead singer for REO Speedwagon in the special train platform fireworks viewing area too! We were heading for the train and stopped at the side of the door to view it. Along comes the REO Speedwagon singer with his kids. There was a roped off area there too, no food that I could see. I think it was part of some of the Tours? Not sure.

Thanks for the tip!

Mlle Upanova
    Last edited by Upanova; 08-06-2005 at 08:33 AM.
    And there's something else they can enjoy too: PINEAPPLE!