Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fantasmic & Fireworks - places to see it

HELP!

I'm planning a trip to Disneyland, from April 17 to April 22 of this year. Since booking the trip, I've found out that we will be there (1) at the tail end of the 2fer special, (2) in the middle of the Food and Wine Festival, and (3) during a cheerleader and dance team championship! EEEK!

Now, I've navigated the crowds before (I was there the final year of the Main Street Electrical Parade - in August - and still managed to get tickets to the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet on the balcony without using a Magic Morning pass to get the tickets!). I'm pretty good about avoiding huge lines but still riding all the rides.

However, this time I'm going with 12 other people, spanning in age from 65 to almost 4 years of age. I'm still confident in maximizing our ride times, meals, catching the parade, etc.... in all things BUT two... the Fireworks and Fantasmic.

The dessert thing is WAY out of our price range this trip (13 x $59 = $767!) As far as I know, there isn't any preferred seating options for the Fireworks.

Any tips for us? The real kicker is that I will NEVER get this group to wait hours for either the fireworks or Fantasmic, not the least of which would be the older "kids at heart" in our group wouldn't be able to sit on the ground for that length of time.

Got any tips for the hub for the fireworks? We don't mind standing up someplace... so if there is a spot that the CMs keep open until the show starts, that we could easily step into, etc... that would be good. We thought mid-April would be great because it was several weeks past Easter, and not very many spring breaks would be going on at that time.

I've heard two things about Fantasmic... that we can wait a little past the Mark Twain loading zone, and then get right in to grab a spot for the second Fantasmic show. Is this true? Specifically where should I wait to get in for the second show? CAN you see Fantasmic from the eating area of the River Belle Terrace? IS it high enough? How early would you have to grab a table for that, if it is a good viewing spot, for either show? (I probably could get them to wait a bit longer if we could eat dinner there together).

I know I'm asking for some "secrets", but this is probably the last time we'll all get to go on a trip like this together... we're getting bigger in numbers, and soon some of the kids will be heading off to college (and high school for some). I'd LOVE for those who haven't experienced the fireworks and Fantasmic... they don't know what they are missing. PM me if you don't want the tips published.... I'd be forever grateful!

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Fantasmic & Fireworks - places to see it

Okay, I am an expert on the bum-rush Fantasmic seating nowadays.

I find that the best place to wait is the path from Adventureland to the right of the Treehouse but to the left of the Riverbelle Terrace. Usually I only have 3 or 4 people in my party, however I did it with my whole family of 6 once. With such a large party, I'd say your best bet is to split up into 3 groups of 4. We flatten ourselves up single file against the wall/patio (it was a full wall due to the remodel last time I tried) right as the finale is going on for the first show, and wait for it to be over.

Now, I've never tried this, but I've always wanted to come at it from the Critter Country side. I feel as if it would be less crowded and there will be less opposing traffic flow, so if you want to send some or all of your party over there, it might be worth a shot.

I DON'T come at it from the Frontierland route between the Riverbelle patio and the river. The reason for this is that the Traffic CMs will stop the traffic going towards New Orleans while the crowd from the first show exits, and you're stuck standing still right at the moment you want to be moving.

What you do is this. As soon as the show is over, the traffic will slowly but surely start to move en-masse away from the river banks in all directions. You need a strong leader in the front of you party, and you all need to hold hands. You should walk towards the river and wind your way through the crowds like a snake. Don't let go of each other! Try to get as far left, towards the center as you can. Only about half the crowd will be leaving at this point, and the other half will be staying to watch the fireworks at the river. Try to be polite and out of people's way while they watch the fireworks. You will not make it all the way in at first, so try ot make it about halfway towards your seating destination and then remain standing to watch the fireworks with everyone.

It may seem like not enough people left for you to get a good seat, but they will leave after the fireworks. Other people who want to watch the second show will watch the fireworks too, and will not leave. But mostly the rest of the crowd will dissipate after the fireworks. Keep an eye out and try to discern who around you saw the first show and will be leaving, and who just showed up and will be staying. This knowledge will help you navigate the crowd.

When the fireworks are over, keep pressing on. Head for the middle front; this is a seated viewing area even if it looks like everyone is standing right then. If you end up too far to the right, you will be cleared away by a CM who will say that everyone needs to be to the right of a certain rope that they will put up. I'm not sure why they do this; perhaps to fill in the seating area area evenly. Dan-tasmic might know!)

You can make it to the middle front where you will see lots of families sitting on the group packing up their kids and blankets and stuff. When you see an empty spot that they vacate, feel free to take it. Go ahead and sit down, even if NO ONE else is, because you will need that room to sit once a CM comes by and asks everyone else on the front platform to sit as well.

Using this method, I can usually get front row, right against the fence for 3 or 4 people. Be sure to bundle up, because if the wind is right, you will get sprayed by the cold water during the show!

When F! is back, I will try coming in from Critter Country and will let you guys know how it went.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

As far as the fireworks, if you do not want to stake out a place in the hub, I think your best bet is the middle of Main Street. You can still see everything from there. Depending on the crowds, sometimes, not too far before the show, you can walk up and stand in the street to the right (when facing the castle) of the hub. That's one of the best views to me...no obstacles.

It looks like Fantasmic will be viewing twice a night on the weekend you are there. If you want to go to the first showing (and just walk up), I suggest going over to the other side, in front of Haunted Mansion. You can usually get an ok view, although it's definitely from the side. But, you will have a much better choice of viewing places for the second show. Usually you can get anywhere towards the middle if you look for a place a little before the show. If you are able to get everybody to wait a while, the best is to wait while the first show ends behind the rope in Frontieland, and the minute they lower the rope, head for the area in front of Pirates for a center viewing area.

But to be honest, if you just want to walk up as the shows are getting ready to start, your choices and views are going to very limited. Good luck!

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    As far as the fireworks, if you do not want to stake out a place in the hub, I think your best bet is the middle of Main Street. You can still see everything from there. Depending on the crowds, sometimes, not too far before the show, you can walk up and stand in the street to the right (when facing the castle) of the hub. That's one of the best views to me...no obstacles.

It looks like Fantasmic will be viewing twice a night on the weekend you are there. If you want to go to the first showing (and just walk up), I suggest going over to the other side, in front of Haunted Mansion. You can usually get an ok view, although it's definitely from the side. But, you will have a much better choice of viewing places for the second show. Usually you can get anywhere towards the middle if you look for a place a little before the show. If you are able to get everybody to wait a while, the best is to wait while the first show ends behind the rope in Frontieland, and the minute they lower the rope, head for the area in front of Pirates for a center viewing area.

But to be honest, if you just want to walk up as the shows are getting ready to start, your choices and views are going to very limited. Good luck!
    psst... as i said in my post earlier, if you can find a spot to wait other than frontierland, you can get in there before they lower the rope on that side and beat all the other bum-rushers to it!

and villians fan, to the right of the hub is also my favorite place to see the fireworks! i love having a view of the castle so that i can see the projections on it! on a fairly busy thanksgiving night, my family only had to get there about half an hour early to get a spot in the street in front of the tomorrowland entrance.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Thank you for the great tips!!! We are sooo doing the second show of Fantasmic, even if we all have to take naps by the pool in the middle of the day (Yeah, right... me in a swimsuit. HA! OK, so I'll doze on the balcony of the hotel). I like the idea of waiting between Tarzan and the River Belle... we can take a look to see if there are tables available, that is if you can see fantasmic from the outside tables.

The Plaza Inn is to the right of the hub, correct? Can you see any of the show from there?

Thanks again for the tips. I'm printing out your posts for a "tip sheet" I'm going to put together. When I'm with a smaller group, I don't worry as much... but 13 takes a little extra planning!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

As far as Fantasmic! goes, I usually do the second showing, coming from Critter Country, or from Haunted Mansion. Just make sure you're over on that side of the park during the first show, as they block off almost all access after the first show lets out. I'll do either Mansion, or Pirates (no lines during the show) and have the timing right so I catch the tail end of the leaving crowds, or get out there once the crowds are gone. You can easily find a spot then, without a super-long wait.

This is my experience- take it as you will.

• Wonderful World

I'd say go about 20 minutes early for F! and stand in front of the haunted mansion kinda buy the canoe area. That place is always empty when I get there.
    I'm back MiceChat

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I highly suggest seeing the fireworks your first night there. The fireworks can and do get cancelled due to winds so see the fireworks the first night in case they get cancelled on the following nights you are there. Even if it is calm at ground level it sometimes is windy at the level where they go off. So I say play it safe and see the fireworks first.

Quick question, as I forgot the answer... but does the train run during Fantasmic and/or the Fireworks?

I love the train for itself, but I've actually used it as a method of transportation, to go around some crowds

• Senior Minion

Have they stopped the reservations for Fantasmic, where you could get a seat and dessert and have to pay?

They are no longer doing the Dessert Buffet on the balcony, but there IS a roped off area where you get a dessert box (I believe it is next to the Haunted Mansion).

Can someone tell me if there is anyway to get to the 2nd Fantasmic from from the Hub after the fireworks without going through the rope at Frontierland? We always go that way and always have a problem finding a good place to watch Fantasmic.

Is it possible to get to Adventureland somehow after the fireworks? From reading the other posts this seems to be ideal. But I can never figure out how to do it. The CMs always tell me to go through Frontierland.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Due to circle flow, there really isnt any way to get there other than through frontierland. All outbound traffic goes through Adventureland, all incoming goes over Frontierland bridge. The rope drop really isnt that bad as if you actually look at how congested the NOS area gets after the show, youll understand.

The train does continue with normal operation during Fan! no matter what. Fireworks are a different story though. If it is windy then the trains are forced to go down until either the show is cancelled or until the end of the show. If winds are no problem though then they continue as normal throughout the show.

• I'm not really here

We have always sat within the first 10 rows of the hub and we've never waited longer than 30 minutes for the fireworks. 45-30 minutes before they start, there are usually plenty of seats available on the ground around about 10 and 2 o'clock in the hub (front left and front right). About the last 10 minutes before they start they have people stand up and that's when we start to move forward and can get within 10 feet of front and pretty close to center. Not ever been a "fight" to get the spot either.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion

For Fantasmic next to the fishermans fries place is an ok place. Ive only done it once on a friday i think but we could actually move and take pictures and breathe unlike the other places.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast