Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

PB and Westley's weekend in DCA and DL

Our weekend began on Friday night when Ken and I and our daughter and her two friends loaded up our truck and headed out of Santa Cruz around 6:30 pm . There was a lot of traffic on every highway we traveled due to the holiday, but we still made good time and arrived at The Carousel Inn in Anaheim at 1 am. Since we were the last guests to arrive that night, the desk clerk only had one room left which was one of the nicer upgraded ones, but he gave it to us at no additional charge!

I loved our hotel room and would have liked to have stayed there the whole time , but we already knew we'd be spending the next two nights at a hotel that was more affordable for our youth group. It was the Comfort Inn Maingate....more about that later....

On Saturday morning, we slept in till a whopping 8 am, then got dressed , ate breakfast and headed over to DCA where we were met by Matt and Adam Hamand and Disney 1978. We had a great time going on Soarin and then every ride in A Bug's Land.

If you've never had the pleasure of meeting Adam Hamand , then you've missed out. He is a delightful child and a crack up to go on rides with...he has this really funny laugh and this look of sheer joy..... I have pictures for proof!

His dad Matt is a crack up to go on rides with too...especially the Sun Wheel ...he has this really funny scream ..kind of like a little girl..and this look of sheer terror...I wish I had pictures for proof!

We took a lunch break in the middle of the day and went to Whitewater's where everyone sat around us eating chicken nuggets and croissant sandwiches and chicken nachos while Ken and I ate our meager Jenny Craig lunches. To add insult to injury , Matt had chosen a table outside in a wind tunnel and with our pounds of fat gone that used to insulate us, we were freezing our butts off! As soon as we got back into the sun and warmed up again, we decided to go on The Grizzley River Rapids. Go figure! Luckily we didn't get too wet!

We also went on Screamin and the Merry Go Round. Then we went to Monster's Inc where we waited a long time in line only because it broke down. But we didn't mind since we were all tired and it gave us an excuse to sit down. After that, half the group went on TOT and the other half went to Turtle Talk. I was in charge of Adam and when we were walking out of the theater, he decided to go under the rope and make a run for it. I had to go under the rope to catch him before he got too far away and I heard a CM yelling at me "Hey, you're not supposed to do that!" I guess he didn't realize I'd done so because I was trying to catch a runaway kid!

It was about 5 by then and time for us to meet up with the rest of our youth group so we said our goodbyes and headed over to the hotel. There were 21 of us all together and we had rented three rooms that slept 7 people each at $130 a night . The rooms were okay if you don't mind thin scratchy pillowcases and sheets , gold bedspreads, no blankets on some of the beds, shower heads that are made for people who are 4'11 and under, lights that only come on halfway , and worst of all ....a lukewarm hot tub and pool towels the size of wash cloths! Needless to say, we will not be staying there again. The only thing better about this year's hotel over last year's is that it was closer to Bupo di Beppos which is where we like to go to dinner with the youth group since it's affordable, filling and tasty!

When our youth pastor informed us all that we'd be going to the park at 7 am sharp on Sunday morning, we all decided to go to bed at 9:30 pm. Around 11 pm, a family who had been at the park all day showed up next door and they were LOUD! Or maybe it was the paper thin walls at the hotel. But either way, we could hear everything this family had to say and shout for the next hour! Oy!

We eventually all got back to sleep and somehow still managed to wake up at the crack of dawn on Sunday . WE were even in the park early enough to park in the Pinocchio parking lot and make it inside the park for rope drop! More to come........

• For You!

Re: PB and Westley's weekend in DCA and DL

Sounds like a bummer of a hotel. I hope it gets better!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Circle of Ancients

^ Luckily, we spent very little time at the hotel. We were in DL from 7 am till midnight yesterday!

• For You!

Well, bad hotel or not - I'm jealous that you were in Disneyland yesterday!!!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I wish I could have been there, and I wholeheartedly agree Adam Hamand is always a delight. I think he gets that from his mom's side.

I can't wait to hear what else you all did and how many of the youth group you were chaperoning.

• Circle of Ancients

We didn't take that many pictures but here are a few from Saturday:

And Sunday, first thing in the morning........it was cold.......

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Awesome TR, PB, keep it coming!!! I can't wait for more!!

• Goofy

yay a princess buttercup trip report. Thank for the pictures. Im glad you all had a fun time.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Sorry we couldn't be there to see the two of you and your massive band of groupies!

But, why must the only full length shot of you be obstructed by a blanket? We all want to be able to view the full transformation created by being good at Whitewater Snacks! And, about that blanket. That's how blankets go missing from budget hotels. I'm just sayin'!

Lu
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Buttercup I called you saturday but you were probably asleep already. Hmph! Glad to see your report!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    His dad Matt is a crack up to go on rides with too...especially the Sun Wheel ...he has this really funny scream ..kind of like a little girl..and this look of sheer terror...I wish I had pictures for proof!
    Grrrr.
    To add insult to injury , Matt had chosen a table outside in a wind tunnel and with our pounds of fat gone that used to insulate us, we were freezing our butts off!
    That was the only table available. And D78 approved of it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I think he gets that from his mom's side.
    Grrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaxx View Post
    Sorry we couldn't be there to see the two of you and your massive band of groupies!
    Hey, she's my groupie.
    And, about that blanket. That's how blankets go missing from budget hotels. I'm just sayin'!
    And, really, who would steal a hotel blanket. Just think of all the filth on those things. Ew.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    ^ Luckily, we spent very little time at the hotel. We were in DL from 7 am till midnight yesterday!
    Wow and you still managed to get a TR up? I'm impressed!

Love the new hair color btw, not sure how long you've had it but it's new to me.

• She was sweet as a peach

I love your trip reports! I can't wait to read the rest!

• Clearing my Calendar

Awesome TR PCYB! I love seeing what you guys were up to.

Adam Hamand is always a delight. I think he gets that from his mom's side.
    Hey! Matt's Awesome!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Circle of Ancients

I wish I could have been there, and I wholeheartedly agree Adam Hamand is always a delight. I think he gets that from his mom's side.

I can't wait to hear what else you all did and how many of the youth group you were chaperoning.

LOL

We had 4 girls, 10 boys and 7 adults in our group. Kids are great...they never seem to care as much about the quality of a hotel. I think the pool was probably freezing based on how cold the hot tub was, but that didn't stop all the boys from having a belly flop contest on Saturday night! One of the girls did mind a little that due to the flaky light in the bathroom, she couldn't see very well to put her make up on.

I always think it's kind of funny that we take our kids to Bupo di Beppos considering how risque some of the artwork on the walls is. While we were waiting in the lobby for our table, I was standing with my head strategically placed so that the innocent little girls in our group wouldn't see a picture of a well endowed naked man. I never knew this till this trip, but Bupo di Beppos means "Joe's Basement." Our service was great and the food was really good too.

On Sunday , we split into three or four groups at any given time depending on who wanted to do what. As soon as we walked through the entrance into DL, a bunch of us went straight to Finding Nemo and Ken went straight to Space Mountain and got us all fast passes. We waited almost an hour for Nemo which wasn't bad especially since our youth pastor had You Tube videos of funny clips from Japanese tv shows and wedding bloopers.

It was Ken's first time on Nemo and he really enjoyed it. I'd only been on it at night before and I liked it better during the day this time....seems like you can see more. The kids all thought it was cute! They were excited to go Space Mountain too. I hate that ride because it makes me feel really nauseous , but I went along anyways. There was a film crew there filming for something but I have no idea what. The ride seemed really really loud that day...I've always imagined real life outer space as quieter...and slower...but oh well! The picture machine was down so there's no evidence of me looking green .

When we got off the ride, we ran into the whole Hamand family including Quiltmaker and Hamand 4 and our youth group is friendly so we 'd invited them to tag along with us. That reminds me.....earlier that morning at breakfast , our youth group leader had been telling ken and me how he had been reading an article called "Signs that you're in a cult" and thought of us and how we've told him about our affiliation with Micechat. He named off some of the signs and we were like "Yep, that sounds about right!" especially when he said that there's a charasmatic leader. We said "Yep, that would be Dustysage and Fishbulb." He said "OH, I was thinking more like Mickey Mouse" and I said "Well if that's the case, then this youth group is part of the Disney cult today too!"

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaxx View Post

But, why must the only full length shot of you be obstructed by a blanket? We all want to be able to view the full transformation created by being good at Whitewater Snacks! And, about that blanket. That's how blankets go missing from budget hotels. I'm just sayin'!

Lu
    LOL Ken's transformation is more dramatic than mine right now since he's lost 18 pounds and I've only lost 12 pounds and 7 of those were pounds that I had gained over the holidays. Hopefully, we'll both be farther along in April and it will be even more dramatic. The nice thing is there are ways to eat healthy in DCA and DL. You can get nonfat milk, fruit, veggies, salad and healthy entrees. The only bad thing is that some of the healthier food comes a little too heavily salted . But I think we both managed to maintain.

As for that hotel blanket....well, we did take it back to the hotel with us...but the girls whose bed it had come off of were glad to see that the maids had brought a new blanket. I don't know what they were worried about...I kept telling them that DL is made of sugar and that the only thing that might be on it after we all sat on it for the fireworks was cotton candy or churros !

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Buttercup I called you saturday but you were probably asleep already. Hmph! Glad to see your report!
    Awwww! I can't believe I missed your call and missed seeing you on Sunday during the two minutes that you were there! Mark your calendar for April and plan to stay for two days!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hamand View Post

And, really, who would steal a hotel blanket. Just think of all the filth on those things. Ew.
    Yep. And the bedspreads scare me even more. I loved how right after I'd told the kids "You never want to sleep with the bedspread touching you, just the sheets and blanket" I found out that my bed had no blanket! It was either touch the bedspread or freeze all night. I was really missing the sleeping bags and love sack that Courtney and I slept in and on two years ago when we stayed at a church near DL.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Wow and you still managed to get a TR up? I'm impressed!

Love the new hair color btw, not sure how long you've had it but it's new to me.

I went to bed at 7 last night! But I woke up a few hours later and started this.

Thanks for the compliment about my hair..it's just temporary..I needed to give my hair a break from all the bleach I use to make it blonde so that it could grow a little longer on its own and not keep breaking off at my shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    Awesome TR PCYB! I love seeing what you guys were up to.

Tracy, I almost forgot to live up to my nickname's sake this weekend. But then I saw Darkbeer and Deogge's mom standing on Main Street looking in a store window with their unsuspecting tushies sticking out in the sidewalk. I snuck up behind them, grabbed them and yelled "Whoo." I think Deogge's mom jumped about 6 inches in the air! I hope she still likes me and will still talk to me at meets! Lisa, if you're reading this, you know I love you girlfriend! And I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist! One of the adult moms who was with me said
    "I sure hope you knew those people!"

Let's see...back to what we did after Space Mountain....hmmm...oh yeah..... we headed over to the Matterhorn and got into the line and were moving forward politely while small groups of people kept cutting under the chain and running ahead of us. It was their loss because right when we got off the ride, the Dream Patrol showed up with Dream fastpasses! So after the four people in front of us got off their bobsled, we were next and everyone in our group got one! I've gotten dream fast passes once before , but this was so much better because the park was so crowded on Sunday and there's no way we could have gotten on so many rides and done so many other things if we hadn't had the passes.

Micechatters are awesome in so many ways and one of those is that they are a wealth of information. We found out from various Micechatters that not only can you use the fast passes to shorten your wait in lines, but you can also use your fast passes to convert a one day ticket into DL into a one day park hopper into DCA as well. That was great news since most of our group only had one day tickets! Also, we found out that if you're in a group and someone wasn't present when the Dream Fastpasses were handed out, you can go to City Hall and get a Dream fast pass for that person as long as you can tell them where you were and what time it was when you got the Dream fastpass..........so cool!

The Dream Fastpasses get you onto Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Indiana Jones and Roger Rabbitt at DL. They also get you onto Soarin, Screamin, TOT, Grizzly and Mulholland Madness at DCA. So our kids got to go on all of those rides and then some! And it really was our lucky day because we had already gotten fast passes for Thunder Mountain and Buzz and then a Micechatter gave us some fast passes for Indiana Jones so we were able to give those to people who came later and needed them too!

By noon, we had already gone on quite a few rides and we headed over to the castle to have a group shot taken. It was the weirdest thing...usually there are lots of CM's there available to take pictures, but I couldn't find a single one. So Ken just grabbed his camera and took the group shot. Then we stopped by the hub briefly to say hi and give hugs to any Micechatters who were there.

After that we headed to Carnation Plaza for lunch. I just have to say that every single CM we encountered this past weekend was great! They were all smiling and friendly and we got great service everywhere. And even though the crowds were big , the energy of the crowds was really positive. We saw a few unruly little kids and parents , but most people seemed pretty mellow and happy to be there.

More in a while...gotta go eat breakfast.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast