Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• a wind to shake the stars

How would you define Fantasyland's theme?

This question came up in another thread. How would you (yes, you!) define Fantasyland's theme? It's a wonderful land and has some of my favorite attractions in all of Disneyland (Matterhorn, Alice, Storybookland) but in terms of a concrete theme it's kind of all over the place. You have elephants flying in a circle, a bobsled ride, a bunch of cups spinning on a platter, and then all of the dark rides within the same land.

I don't really have an answer, I'm not the best at defining theme (as you probably know) so please forgive me for not contributing here, I think a lot of you are way better at these kinds of things than I am. And I know this might seem slightly less than genuine but I assure you that I truly am curious, this is something I've never really considered and I'd like to see what everyone thinks.

• =)

Re: How would you define Fantasyland's theme?

It's a land where the Disney animated classics come to life in a three-dimensional way. Easy as that. ::shrug:: Certainly a broader theme than some of the others in the park, but a cohesive nevertheless, IMO.

• Lipstick is Power

Ummm how about Fantasy? Hence the name Fantasyland. I think it all fits into that theme pretty well.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I would define the Fantasyland theme as . . . . ummm . . . Fantasyland.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This is gonna be good.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Fantasyland utilizes bavarian architecture to create a storybook aesthetic.

Fantasyland's theme centers around those of the Disney fairy tales featured within. By entering Fantasyland, you're entering a storybook filled with classic Disney fairytales.

Essentially, the land is the home of Disney's animated film characters, or rather, it is supposed to be. The cartoonification of the rest of the park is negligible on Disney's part and detracts from Fantasyland's overall purpose.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Just one of those days

Quote Originally Posted by pin_up_pixie View Post
    Ummm how about Fantasy? Hence the name Fantasyland. I think it all fits into that theme pretty well.
    My thoughts exactly.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Fantasyland utilizes bavarian architecture to create a storybook aesthetic.

Fantasyland's theme centers around those of the Disney fairy tales featured within. By entering Fantasyland, you're entering a storybook filled with classic Disney fairytales.

Essentially, the land is the home of Disney's animated film characters, or rather, it is supposed to be. The cartoonification of the rest of the park is negligible on Disney's part and detracts from Fantasyland's overall purpose.
    Agreed 100%

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Yes indeed Fantasyland is a bit eclectic. Originally the core of FL was themed to a medieval carnival, which fit well wit h the center piece, King Aurthur's Carousel and the entrance, Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Some of that cohesiveness was lost with the plussing done to the structures in the early 80's. The whole thing gets a bit more of a theming pass becuase defining fantasy is a bit more fluid than say Tomorrowland or Frontierland.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• A Weather Eye Open

Alpine Village behind a fantastic Castle!

I look at theme NOT as the content of the rides, but the appearances of most of the buildings, the interiors of the restaurants and bathrooms, the costumes of the CMs, and the smaller details. What's actually inside the rides has always been mish-mashed at Disneyland, as far as theme goes.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Well.. My Ideal Fantasyland would involve.....uhhhhh...never mind.

It would more likely happen in the San Fernando Valley than in Orange County.

Hey, it's my Fantasy.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

This is an interesting thread. First of all, as a whole, I think it is designed to look like a European Village behind a castle. If there is one thing that is questionable (now that someone has brought this thread up) is the placement of the Matterhorn in Fantasyland. The Matterhorn, if I remember correctly, was inspired by a documentary that Walt made about the actual mountain, so I would see it fitting somewhere else, not really in Fantasyland.

With that said, Fantasyland lives up to it's name- it's themed to Fairy Tales, so it works nonetheless.

• FastPass n00b

Fantasyland is the physical representation of anything that can be conjured up in the mind.

And if Pixar wants to play there, it would weaken the theme but so be it. It's absolutely ridiculous for us to have to swallow this cartoony nonsense in Frontierland and Tomorrowland. A cartoon toy sheriff in the 1800's expansion of the United States? A giant toy taking over half of Tomorrowland? All this foolishness belongs in Fantasyland...if it wasn't already filled up.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    Fantasyland is the physical representation of anything that can be conjured up in the mind.

And if Pixar wants to play there, it would weaken the theme but so be it. It's absolutely ridiculous for us to have to swallow this cartoony nonsense in Frontierland and Tomorrowland. A cartoon toy sheriff in the 1800's expansion of the United States? A giant toy taking over half of Tomorrowland? All this foolishness belongs in Fantasyland...if it wasn't already filled up.
    Totally agree, but I don't feel that Pixar fits in the European sections thematically. My plan would be to remove the fantasyland theater and place new attractions they are just chomping at the bit to install. Plan B would be to remove or minimize autopia which is a HUGE piece of land that is wasted. In a day where Disneyland has almost ran out of room I think it is time for autopia to retire. Just think about it, would you rather have a brand new land or keep the autopia?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Just think about it, would you rather have a brand new land or keep the autopia?
    If you ask the major target audience (ages 4-10) you would have a resounding response to keep Autopia. To them the thrill of driving is not lost under years of experience.

As to the "What is Fantasyland's Theme" I see it as a nod to a softer side of the Grimm boys!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast