Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• DL Nerd

Interesting Mark Twain story

I don't know if this has been ever posted before .. but I'm sure someone didn't know about it.....

Now it can be told. Terry O'Brien sank the ship at Disneyland.
    If you read accounts about the opening of the park 50 years ago, you might read about how the Mark Twain paddle-wheel boat sank on one of its maiden voyages, but no details or the reason are ever given, because O'Brien didn't talk until now.
    "Now, I figure, what can they do to me? They can't fire me."

One of O'Brien's first assignments was to tend the "holding pen" for the Mark Twain, the area where people waited to board the boat.
    "They gave me a clicker and told me to let people in until the pen was full. The boat would come in and let one group off and we'd put the other group on. No one was sure just how many people would fit, so they said to try and keep it between 200 to 300."
    After a few times, it got kind of boring, so O'Brien started talking to the people and the other workers as he clicked people into the pen, not paying much attention to how many there were. The boat came in, and the next group got on.
    "Pretty soon, we heard the toot-toot signal that meant disaster. And everyone wondered what had happened." What had happened was that the boat, which actually made its way around the lagoon on a rail, had sunk off the track and into the mud. There were too many people on board.
    "It took about 20 to 30 minutes to get it fixed and back on the rail and it came chugging in. As soon as it pulled up to the landing, all the people rushed to the side to get off, and the boat tipped into the water again, so they all had to wade off through the water, and some of them were pretty mad."
    His boss came to ask O'Brien how many people he'd put on the boat. "And I said about 250. And he said, 'Well, better keep it at about 200.' Then I remembered I had the clicker in my pocket. I looked and was shocked to see I'd put 508 people on the boat. I never told anyone until now." But he did make sure it never happened again.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635154764,00.html
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• is too darn hot.

Re: Interesting Mark Twain story

*snicker*

That's classic. I love it.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• "I Break Things"

reminds me of the "full 45" stories of Jungle!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

u put 45 into a boat there my god hate to be in that boat lol

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    u put 45 into a boat there my god hate to be in that boat lol
    Per the O.G. it states max occupancy "approx 45" so a full boat was 45 and a "full 45" was a very full boat... all I am going to say on that subject!

Let's say that some Skips were better at loading then others and leave it at that. There is a certain finesse to getting over 2000 people on the ride in an hour!

im just thinking to myself we fit 40 ppl into a star speeder at star tours and those things are huge lol. Now im thinking 45 on jungle wow hope you have a really good skipper cause that thing aint staying on the tracks

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great story. thanks Junthor!

• Do you believe in magic?

Haha! That's an awesome story, Junthor!
    Peace, Love, and Mickey Mouse!

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Thank you Junthor for find the story and posting it here.

Jungle Cruise
    45 people now days!!
    Now I know why boat are in Rehab!!!
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day o 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• Rock Star Minion

Tried to get that boat to rehab, it said no, no, no....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

^^^lol!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    im just thinking to myself we fit 40 ppl into a star speeder at star tours and those things are huge lol. Now im thinking 45 on jungle wow hope you have a really good skipper cause that thing aint staying on the tracks
    Just PM'd you the details but here is the basic math. 7 to 9 on the center box, and the rest on the sides... including the doorway. It takes a good Front Loader to pull this off, which is the Achilles heal of the new crew. The old crew had a lot of experienced CM's who could load fast and efficiently, new kids leave a lot of gaps and empty spots.

Used to be that the Front and Rear Load would compete with each other. Rear Load has it easy, it's a giant J... all along the outside edge. Frontload has more of a II type... with people behind them, on the box, and in front of the engine. Rear Load used to load as fast as they could, and Front Load either kept up, or did the splits. If you do the splits enough you get really really good at being efficient and fast. Some of the old Front Loaders got to a point that they would start stealing Rear Load's seats.

There was also communication. If you had empty you automatically slid people over and called to the other Loader that they had X extra. If you had over then you called out to have them save you a couple. These days they have enough trouble getting them in the boat within the time frame (in other words not causing a backup just to seat 2 more people), let alone sliding people around to make more room. The last part is the Skip in the boat. If it is a strong Skip who has everyone's attention they can get people to slide, and keep people on the center box. Weaker Skips lead to chaotic boats or as we called it "Festival Seating... sit where you want just remember to place all coolers and lawn chairs on the floor beneath your feet... and tuck small children into the overhead bins above you."

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post
    Jungle Cruise ... 45 people now days!!
    In the words of one of my favorite Leads, an old friend, "Not gonna happen!"

On a positive note, the crew is trying. You can't blame them for the lost experience.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    ...Now it can be told. Terry O'Brien sank the ship at Disneyland... ..."And I said about 250. And he said, 'Well, better keep it at about 200.' Then I remembered I had the clicker in my pocket. I looked and was shocked to see I'd put 508 people on the boat. I never told anyone until now." But he did make sure it never happened again...
    great story!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Tried to get that boat to rehab, it said no, no, no....
    Good one Sedi.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• "I Break Things"

Well I know a raft sank, I know a keel boat sank (flipped technically) I know a Jungle Boat started to sink... actually know the Skipper who was in it when it happened... and now I hear the Mark Twain had a "moment". So I guess the physical properties of water are not suspended by the magic of Disneyland

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Well I know a raft sank, I know a keel boat sank (flipped technically) I know a Jungle Boat started to sink... actually know the Skipper who was in it when it happened... and now I hear the Mark Twain had a "moment". So I guess the physical properties of water are not suspended by the magic of Disneyland
    There was an unbeliever aboard on each of those occasions. I have proof!
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast