Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• Dont make me unfriend you

Re: DCA: AN interesting look back at the last 4+ years

hehehehehe. I thought it was ON topic. It's an interesting look of the past five years of DCA. This conversation (DCA supporters vs non-supporters) has been going on for the five past years.

Sure..sure..it's some different posters through the years, but same basic conversation.

Have some red vines.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Red Vines R
    Last edited by Uzmati; 07-07-2006 at 06:22 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    Why do you feel the need to target and bash other peoples' opinions on a subject where there are no facts, just opinions?
    Since I was not bashing but disagreeing, I feel no guilt!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy

Excellent link, thanks for posting it.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I could not believe that comment. I have been to all of the Florida parks. ALL exceed DCA in almost every way. Even Disney Studios, which is the most like DCA, is SOOO much better than DCA. It has charm and style. Now it does need more attractions and improvements, but it far exceeds DCA. Certainly Epcot would exceed DCA in almost every way. The newest park, also transports you to exotic Africa. It is wonderful.

DCA is a product of a group of designers who felt they could offer a cheap knock off of a real Disney Park at full price of a true Disney park.
    I almost do not want to reply because of the negative tone of the other posts in this thread. Hopefully this can be positive.

Overall I did like MGM better, as did my kids (teens and tweens), but not way better. Epcot's FutureWorld has mostly unexciting educational attractions and we like DCA better. Epcot was a bit of a disappointment, actually, and we did almost everything in FutureWorld. We liked Animal Kingdom, and it is hard to compare to DCA because they are so different. If you compare the Disney magic / fun factor, DCA was better in our opinion (except for DS10). AK feels very confined. The new Expedition Everest is an awesome ride and for most of us was our favorite ride at all of WDW. But after EE there is Dinosaur and then not much else - OK, Kali RR, which is not as good as Grizzly RR by way of theming or the actual ride. The other parts of AK are closer to a zoo - nice, but just a zoo. DCA is better than AK by a large margin in my opinion.

Could DCA have been better? Yes, if they had invested more. Is it far below the WDW parks. IMO, no. It holds its own pretty well actually.

I would be glad to discuss this further here with those who want to keep this a positive discussion (not to imply that Jiminy was negative).

• Zero Blockout Dates

We were at WDW sll four parks, plus Castaway Cay earlier this year and it was wonderful. BUT to be honest we still prefer and love the "*Cameo Role Player" that is DCA. No, it's not the biggest nor the fanciest and maybe, for some, not the best. But it is ours and we love it for what it is and how it's coming along.

Remember when there was NO ToT?

Folks can't convince me that it won't just get better.
    Let the naysayers say what they want DCA Rocks!

*someone else's assesment of the park..if forget whos, scroll up if you need to know

Last edited by Uzmati; 07-08-2006 at 08:51 AM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

From March of 2002....

http://www.boingboing.net/2002/03/26...ifornia_a.html

Disney's California Adventure to suck less

Disney is revamping the California Adventure, their brain-damaged theme-parklet next door to Disneyland. Built with the "assistance" of some high-priced McKinsey consultants (the same consultants who advised them to cut back on the maintenance regimen in Disneyland, a suggestion that has led to several near-fatal accidents and at least one fatality), the California Adventure is a prime example of what happens when a company abandons its visionary roots.

Walt built Disneyland because he wanted a park where kids and grownups could play together, where ripoff midway games and nauseous midway rides took a back-seat to storytelling, wonder and art.

California Adventure was built by repurposing rides from other parks, buying off-the-shelf rides from midway suppliers, and tossing in a bunch of those awful ripoff midway ring-toss games. Many of the rides are either kid or adult-specific, and the park offers little by way of storytelling, wonder or art, having no strong thematic continuity and attractions that you can find in your local travelling carny.

Disney's Parks and Resorts Chairman weasels around on this:
    "People want new stories to be told," Pressler said. "But there are also some truths. When you try to push the envelope a little in terms of sophistication, it doesn't resonate as well inside the park as outside the park."
    Vomitous coasters, ring-toss and whirling swings are "sophistication?"
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Zero Blockout Dates

DCA ROCKS

at five years old Disneyland wasn't looking all that fantastic or well themed out either.

ALL these photos came from
    Oogies' Retro Disneyland Pictures thread!!!

SO clearly you can see it only gets better with time.

Gee it seems like only a few years ago there wasn't even a Hollywood Tower Hotel in DCA. See it's getting better already.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The argument that Disneyland wasn't themed well, or the best it could be at 5 years old is WEAK.

In 2001, Disney's California Adventure had 46 years of tried and true methods of Disney themepark making to go from.
    In 2006, Disney's California had 51 years of tried and true methods of quality Disney theme park making to go from.

In 1955, Disneyland had NOTHING of it's kind to go off of. Walt Disney and the Imagineers had no prior knowledge in theme park development. It was a new endeavor.
    In 1960, Disneyland still had NOTHING but it's previous 5 years of existence to work with. It was still all a new ballpark.

To compare DCA and Disneyland like that and say DCA is just a young park trying to find it's place like Disneyland was is a load of bull. DCA should have had and known it's place in 2001 when it opened. It had 46 years of history and experience to work with.

It failed to deliver on all levels.

5 years later it still fails to deliver.

Disney theme parks aren't a new idea anymore. Putting out a park at this point should guarantee that guests will have enough quality attractions, entertainment, etc to do to fill a whole day. This isn't the first five years of Disney theme park history anymore. It's the 51st year of theme park making. Something should be done right.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Zero Blockout Dates

> >

Last edited by Uzmati; 07-22-2006 at 07:16 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Since it was the only reason you gave, I assumed it was the only reason you had.

Anyway, I never said I hated DCA, but I certainly don't deny its shortcomings. I love Disneyland, but I don't deny its shortcomings either.

I find it a bit amusing that a lot of "DCA Lovers" start to backpedal or avoid the issue when a valid point is brought up against their arguments that they can't top.

No offense intended, and this isn't a personal attack, but its just something I've noticed.

Anyway, whatever.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

And old SaveDisney.com article...

Top Ten Good Things About Visiting Disney's California Adventure
    By Jesse Woodward

10. No pesky crowds to block your way.

9. Your delicate stomach won't be upset by extreme thrill rides.

8. Southern California residents won't run into anyone they know and have to explain why they're there.

7. You won't have to hurt your back by constantly taking the kids out of the stroller to load them into rides.

6. You'll never get lost because it's so small.

5. You'll be totally grounded in reality (like your shrinks want you to be).

4. You won't be far from The Happiest Place on Earth.

3. If you're at DCA, you probably have a Disneyland Annual Pass in your wallet.

2. You'll be able to focus on your conversation as you walk between rides, cause there are no attractive visuals to distract you.

1. You'll still have time to go to the beach when you're through.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 07-22-2006 at 07:45 PM.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Since it was the only reason you gave, I assumed it was the only reason you had.

Anyway, I never said I hated DCA, but I certainly don't deny its shortcomings. I love Disneyland, but I don't deny its shortcomings either.

I find it a bit amusing that a lot of "DCA Lovers" start to backpedal or avoid the issue when a valid point is brought up against their arguments that they can't top.

No offense intended, and this isn't a personal attack, but its just something I've noticed.

Anyway, whatever.
    Of course it's not a personal attack. And you couldn't offend me if you tried. I'd have to care about what someone thought to take offense from something they said.That issue is a nonstarter here.

Avoid what? Backpedal? When and where'd that happen?

I could post about DCA for days warts and all. I'm sure not deluded and believe it's a perfect park, but it's what's there and that's what they'll build on, whether YOU OR I like it or not.

Like Mr. Iger said "We're going to fix the second gate". You know what? I believe he will, what choice does he have.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    The argument that Disneyland wasn't themed well, or the best it could be at 5 years old is WEAK.

In 2001, Disney's California Adventure had 46 years of tried and true methods of Disney themepark making to go from.
    In 2006, Disney's California had 51 years of tried and true methods of quality Disney theme park making to go from.

In 1955, Disneyland had NOTHING of it's kind to go off of. Walt Disney and the Imagineers had no prior knowledge in theme park development. It was a new endeavor.
    In 1960, Disneyland still had NOTHING but it's previous 5 years of existence to work with. It was still all a new ballpark.

To compare DCA and Disneyland like that and say DCA is just a young park trying to find it's place like Disneyland was is a load of bull. DCA should have had and known it's place in 2001 when it opened. It had 46 years of history and experience to work with.

It failed to deliver on all levels.

5 years later it still fails to deliver.

Disney theme parks aren't a new idea anymore. Putting out a park at this point should guarantee that guests will have enough quality attractions, entertainment, etc to do to fill a whole day. This isn't the first five years of Disney theme park history anymore. It's the 51st year of theme park making. Something should be done right.
    I agree 100% and let me add that the affordability of DL in 1960 and the affordability of DCA in 2006 are not comparable.

But even more important, DCA does not meet the expectations guests have for a Disney theme park experience...expectations The Walt Disney Company have created themselves. The DCA Lovers Alliance are entitled to their opinion, but since they don't buy 7 million full price 1-Day tickets to DCA each year, nothing they say matters in practical terms. DCA is an unqualified failure. The public at large has voted with their pocketbooks and DCA has been deemed undesirable. Sorry, this is not an opinion, but a fact. The only practical discussion at this point would have to be centered on how to fix it or change it.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

A nice long article from February 2001.....

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...bleDisney.html

Even so, California Adventure opened last week without a hitch. Analysts and industry observers predict the park will be a hit, and a coup for Disney in its bid to get visitors to spend more time and money in Anaheim. But amid the new park’s gala celebration are the outgrowths of Disney’s success. Some visitors are grumbling about parking for the two parks, long lines for premier rides and ticket prices. On top of that, about 500 preview visitors were evacuated from a California Adventure ride on Feb. 3 after smoke from an amplifier filled the attraction’s basement. None of this is likely to hamper Disney, observers say, but they note that the first three months of a park’s opening—and visitors’ initial impressions—are pivotal.

“Is this the best time to open a park?” Kyser said. “Maybe not the best, but its newness will be an attraction. Downtown Disney is an added attraction-and the Grand Californian is one of the best hotels I’ve seen.” A more immediate concern for Disney is how visitors will perceive the new park — a critical factor in first-year performance. The park is expected to draw about 7 million visitors in its first year, according to Disney executives.

“The first 90 days are critical,” said Thor Degelman, a local theme park consultant and former Disney executive who worked on the opening of other Disney parks.
    Disney maintains it has learned from past theme park mistakes, down to even small things like the new park’s more circular parade route compared to Disneyland’s Main Street format that employees call a “logistical nightmare.”

Degelman said the most critical aspects are word-of-mouth and in-park spending-both of which could turn out to be dicey issues, given pre-opening criticism of the new park’s smaller size and limited number of rides and exhibits.
    Disney Chief Executive Michael Eisner recently said he wasn’t worried about attendance, but was more concerned about making sure the visitor experience is great-an experience that could easily sour if guests find the park too crowded or too mundane.

There is widespread speculation that the new park, with about half the capacity of Disneyland at around 30,000 visitors, will be overcrowded from day one. Employees can’t use their passes at the new park until after Labor Day, a practice also employed during the opening months at Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Fla. And the company’s decision earlier this month to suspend the sale of annual passes signals some worry about crowds. “The concern is about letting everyone have a chance (to go to the park),” said Disney spokesman Ray Gomez.

Pressler said last week the new park will close or close early-as is done in Florida-if there is concern about overcrowding.
    “We expect there to be pent-up demand in the first year,” he said. Long lines are a certainty for the most popular rides, even with Disney’s Fastpass placeholder system.

Eisner said he isn’t worried about the park.
    “There are a few movies I’m worried about,” he said at a press conference last week, “but not California Adventure.”

Of course, there are critics. Another ex-employee, who declined to be named, called the park “cardboard” and “cheesy.”

“It used to be all about quality and the guest experience,” she said. “But not any more.”

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast