Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Expansion, parking, transportation

Does anyone know of the general plan for parking and transportation throughout the Disney property and the resort area over the next 15-20 years? If not, do you have ideas on how this should work out?

A few years from now, the Timon parking lot will be gone. There's talk of building a new hotel in the parking lot (don't know the name) in the southwest part of the property near the PP hotel. So I assume they'll have to build a 2nd parking structure or expand the Mickey & Friends one.

If a 3rd gate gets built on the property south of Garden Walk (OK, that might be 20 years out), then they would have to tie all 3 parks and all the hotels together with an organized parking and transportation system. The Monorail and the PeopleMover come to mind. Not to mention Anaheim wants to work with Disney to connect the resort area with the stadium area.

Is a Monorail practical to connect DL, DCA, 3rd gate, hotels and the Convention Center? It works in WDW. What about the PeopleMover? Could that replace the trams? Would it be reliable enough?

I know this is kind of Blue Sky, but I'm just trying to envision the big picture 20 years out.
    Last edited by Mojave; 02-23-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

• Fancy that...

Re: Expansion, parking, transportation

I'm not the one to answer your question but just know that there will probaly be lots of people who will tell you that it wont work with the monorail and i'd love to see this happen though, like have one station in DL, one in DCA, and one in the 3rd gate wich will happen just not any time soon.

Yeah I was wondering about that. I mean they're taking out the Timon Parking lot for Carsland, leaving only the parking structure. And don't they fill the parking structure a lot during the Summer?

Here's my idea on how they should build out the resort. You'll notice that I include the monrail as a stoping at Tomorrowland, Mickey and Friends Parking Structure, Downtown Disney, DCA (Questionable location), the third park, and at a new parking structure (I know this structure looks like its in a random place, but it is owned by Disney).
    Also I have the peoplemover system, from the Mickey and Friends Structure to the old tram station, and i have one going from the third theme park, stopping at the parking structure and headed to the other old tram station. i think this would be a decent design. Take a look.

^^ I think you might be right on with your location of a 2nd parking structure. Right off the freeway! Makes perfect sense. And I like the idea of PeopleMovers connecting the parking structures with the esplanade.

If they have an expanded Monorail system, would they need to keep the extra few loops inside Tomorrowland? Couldn't it simply stop at the TL station? Would that be sacrilegious?

I think an expanded Monorail should stop in the esplanade as well. I know that might not fit, but I just can't see having that many people going into the TL station. Not to mention, Disneyland was meant to be entered from Main Street. I only rarely take the Monorail into TL - when I park at Downtown Disney for a short stay at the park.

i never take the monrail into Disneyland either, but the monorail was a tomorrowland attraction before it was actually used for transportation. the new system stopping in the esplanade (thanks i didn't know what to call this area) would be smart but i don't think the monrail should be elimintated from tomorrowland. they could take out all the twists and turns in the park if it was neccesary.

• Koubu Pilot

i would probably leave the original Monorail line as it is and build a seperate line to connect the parks, Gardenwalk, hotels, and parking areas. That way they can use larger monorails to carry the crowds around.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I haven't heard much lately about the NFL's plan to eventually return to Los Angeles, but I do know that Anaheim and the Coliseum were the last ones in the running (with Anaheim to possibly build a football stadium on the existing Big A parking lot). Is that still a possibility? That would have much to do with transport planning for the area I would think.

And I do wish they'd fix the first two parks before thinking about building a third...I hope that's what they will do, anyway.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

by fix the first two parks I hope you mean fix the mess called DCA and applaud the amazing Disneyland. Just kidding I know Disneyland could use minor touches and work on the third park won't be started for another eight years at the earliest

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    by fix the first two parks I hope you mean fix the mess called DCA and applaud the amazing Disneyland. Just kidding I know Disneyland could use minor touches and work on the third park won't be started for another eight years at the earliest
    Amen to the first part.

As for my beloved Disneyland, there's almost all of Tomorrowland to fix, holes in the areas of merchandise and foods...in other words, fix all the disasters caused during the Pressler era...that, with DCA, should have them going well into this century before they start thinking about a third park.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Amen to the first part.

As for my beloved Disneyland, there's almost all of Tomorrowland to fix, holes in the areas of merchandise and foods...in other words, fix all the disasters caused during the Pressler era...that, with DCA, should have them going well into this century before they start thinking about a third park.
    Here _ Here on Pressled era
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

i agree with redoing tomorrowland to discuss this you can see my thread here
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...t=tomorrowland

• The Tomorrowland One

The only problem with the monorail line ideas is that the monorail here at Disneyland is INSIDE the park. Even when you are in the DTD Monorail station, you are considered INSIDE Disneyland. There is no way a weird double gate system would work to add stops at the other parks.

The only way I can see would be to make Pumbaa a Structure, maybe Buzz a Structure as well and just have a people mover/PRT system connecting them all. Only problem I can see with a People Mover is the moving stations and those parties not able to move fast enough to get in a moving one. WDI would need to Imagineer a way for there to be a switch in the track and have a station that is a non moving loading area. Also would need to think of a way to make sure everyone go out at the end of the line instead of just riding it around and around.

Also get rid of the cast shuttles when they make a 3rd gate. Just make the cast parking an under-park thing like the Utilidors at WDW and have an underground people mover for the cast. Ah, yeah, that would be the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And I do wish they'd fix the first two parks before thinking about building a third...I hope that's what they will do, anyway.

-- Barry
    I agree they need to fix DCA fully before considering a 3rd park. I was just thinking long term, big picture, blue sky, whatever cliche works for you.

• Minion

I think that any use of the Monorail for interpark transportation would lead to massive gridlock in the case of vehicle failures. They are just too unreliable for that use. Similar problems would exist for the people-movers with the added problems of evacuations.

Any system must not depend on unreliable Disney ride systems and must support multiple paths not tied to strictly fixed and highly restricted lines of travel. The tried and true trams and walking seem like the best solution augmented with an expanded system of bridges, tunnels.

And, for the accolates, possibly a system of interpark loops to keep them somewhat separated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast