Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland TechnoWeinie

Question Unknown location, circa 1981, somewhere DL

Ok, guys...I'm stumped with this one. About 1981 + or -, in a batch of family photos from Disneyland. Every other photo in this envelope was from Disneyland, so I can only assume this was also.

I can't figure out where this was. Disneyland or Disneyland Hotel or ??? Looks like they really spent a lot of time detailing the ship out <Laughing>.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Re: Unknown location, circa 1981, somewhere DL

if anything it'd be the Disneyland Hotel I'm guessing, I'm sure someone here will know for sure though.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Animatronic

I was all over Disneyland in the 70's and 80's and don't remember that! I also don't get the draw bridge to the slime water. Perhaps it's at a local hotel or mini golf course?

• =)

Ewww....

The funny part is, before I looked directly at the photo, I thought this was going to be an easy one--you know, the ship in the old Fantasyland. But then I looked closer and realized something was very, very wrong.

I think the only reason that photo was found in an envelope with a bunch of other Disneyland photos...is that someone else thought it was a photo taken at Disneyland.

• Still lost in Neverland

Looks like someone's backyard project. Someone who had a very big back year like on a farm or ranch somewhere. Or as somebody mentioned, a golf course or kids play area somewhere. That drawbridge into the slimy water is really bad though. Very unsafe. I hope the below decks area was not open to the kids. I am pretty sure it isn't part of Disneyland or the Hotel because I was there a lot and never saw anything like this.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Animatronic

Maybe it's part of an animal show at another park or zoo? I think I see animals on that boat and there's that painting of a volcano and what looks like another one ready to roll down. Is that a cat lighting a barrel of gun powder on the right and a dog on the left?

Shrugging shoulders: I don't know, people. It is marked on the back as the same lot and processing batch as all the other pictures, and all the other pictures are at Disneyland. The person who took the picture remembers it being at Disneyland (or somehow part of the that trip) but nobody can remember where. The photographer thought there was some little cheesy show with "Peter Pan"-ish- maybe ??- when that center screen rolls up, but is not certain.

Other Thought:
    Could this have been at Magic Mountain or Knotts? Those parks were also visited on the same trip - perhaps the print got mixed up with the roll of film preceding or following? I don't have the negative strips to track down. Or this could have been the first or last picture on this roll of film.

The idea of a local mini-golf course or motel decoration is a good possibility, maybe this was taken on the walk too Disneyland from the motel? I'm trying to place the white structure to the upper right background??

Must have been a real high point to the trip...

I'm at your mercy, if it can be identified.
    Last edited by Applegeek; 02-24-2008 at 06:15 AM.

The building in the background reminds me of the San Diego Zoo.

Update: This trip included a visit to Magic Mountain, Universal Studios & Knotts. Looking at the processing batch number on the back this could have overlapped with -possibly- Universal Studios?? Its a little smearry and hard to make out.

Or the idea of the mini-golf course somewhere around DL is a possibility.

Again, I don't know at all, but I know someone around here will recognize it.
    Last edited by Applegeek; 02-24-2008 at 07:28 AM.

<Laughing> The more the family looks at this, the more confused everybody gets. It could be any tourist destination in Southern California that someone from Washington would go see. Its now the subject of much laughter at the breakfast table that nobody can remember anything about this.

By the looks of it, its probably not worth remembering, either. Maybe its selective amnsesia.

It could be from somebody else's vacation, who knows??
    Last edited by Applegeek; 02-24-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: sppellling

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

It looks like there's a little person or lawn gnome where the door is. I have no idea where this is. But look at the volcano mural thingy, it looks like there's other backrdop thingies. That would be so cool to have like a pull down movie screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Applegeek View Post
    Ok, guys...I'm stumped with this one. About 1981 + or -, in a batch of family photos from Disneyland. Every other photo in this envelope was from Disneyland, so I can only assume this was also.

I can't figure out where this was. Disneyland or Disneyland Hotel or ??? Looks like they really spent a lot of time detailing the ship out <Laughing>.

I'm thinking it's not Disneyland but perhaps Universal Studios? I know when we were kids going in the '70/80's we always went Disneyland, Knotts and Universal studios. Maybe it was a different park but the same trip? And that would explain the same roll of film but not Disneyland, + the props. I dont ever remember a pirate ship at MM or Knotts but who knows they are always doing stuff at Universal. Ask them if they went to any other parks that day.

just a thought
    Janette

• Drunk On Disney!

If that was DL........ then I would be very dissapointed.

Question Re: Unknown location, circa 1981, somewhere DL

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    ...I dont ever remember a pirate ship at MM or Knotts but who knows they are always doing stuff at Universal. Ask them if they went to any other parks that day.

just a thought
    It very well could have been. We feel like a collective bunch of idiots....and having a good laugh. But looking at that picture we're kind of glad we don't remember too closely <Still Laughing>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast