Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Grizzly Peak Mining Expedition

Grizzly Peak Mining Expedition

I know that Disney is in the process of a large overhaul in Disney's California Adventure, but I've noticed that there is not much work that is focusing on the Golden State area of the park. On the California Adventure Project Tracker here on MiceChat, I noticed that a rethemeing of Condor Flats was memtioned; however, there was no plans for Grizzly Peak.

I have decided to create a new ride that would be placed in the Grizzly Peak area. This ride would be called Grizzly Peak Mining Expedition. It would be somewhat of a cross between Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Expedition Everest.

Ride Description (see picture below): The entrance to the ride would be to the right of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. The queue wraps around the back of the Challenge Trail until you begin to descend under ground level. Guests enter the boarding area and are now in an open-air mine car station. Once you're on the ride, you head into a cave and climb up the first and largest lift hill. Near the top, we meet a minor; he tells you to "Turn right. The tracks on the left need some repair." You're now at the top of the hill, but suddenly the train turns left, and the minor yells "You're going the wrong way!" The trains begins its descent and is now above the Grizzly River Run. The train makes another turn into the tunnel but when you reach the opposite side of the tunnel, the tracks go right off the mountain (note the similarity of Expedition Everest). The train begins to move backwards and you and other guests are now headed down the mountain. Later, you reach another tunnel and stop; on the wall, there is the shadow of a creature (again, similar to Expedition Everest). You head out of the cave and up the second lift. This lift is just below Grizzly Peak and you have a perfect view of the mountain. The train once again goes through tunnels and turns. When you enter the last tunnel, you are narrowly attacked by Bigfoot himself. You just make it out alive and return back to the station.

The storage for the trains in this attraction would also be under ground and would be located under the Brother Bear Totem Pole Ceremony. The exit and handicap entrance would be located near the southern entrance into Grizzly Peak.

Now take a look at the layout:
    The Bigfoot shadow is after the backwards portion and before the second lift hill.
    The Bigfoot attack is in the last tunnel before the train heads under the Challenge Trail area. Under the walkway.

So what do you guys think?
    I'm happy to see any comments or improvements to my design.
    Thanks for reading all of it.

• Fancy that...

Re: Grizzly Peak Mining Expedition

The main problem I see with this idea is that it would be like a copy of expedition everest except with different theming. It also sounds too much like Big thunder mountian. I know you said that it would be similar but I think it gets a bit to close to already existing attractions. I have an idea but It isn't an improvement on your idea but more of a replacement idea points for effort and creativity, plus your excellent mapping skills!

thanks though. Having thunder mountain may be a little to similar, but expedition everest is all the way on the other side of the country and not many people on the west coast get to experience it. i was just trying to bring more exciting ride to DCA.

Anyways, what's your idea?

This is nicely thought out, but I have one huge issue with it: structural integration with Grizzly Peak. You can't just add another attraction on top of and inside an existing one. Especially one that is part roller coaster. There are huge foundation and structural issues involved.

• the rum is always gone

I do not want to sound overly negative, but here are some realistic issues I found with your ride:
    -the loading area may conflict with the expansion of Golden Dreams for the Little Mermaid Ride
    -the structural integrity of the mountain (I read somewhere that they wanted to put a Country Bears (or like) show in the mountain, but could not because of the way the mountain is constructed and the placement of the key support beams)
    -the ride being too much like everest expedition/thunder mountain

I always like seeing what other people come up with for rides. It is a great idea.

I know that the structural problems are evident, but for the parts that the train goes "underground" this is really just an addition of the moutain on top of the original exterior.

second, I didn't know that the Little Mermaid Ride extended this way, if it does I think there is still a way to configure the storafe and loading areas without problems.

Third I explained earlier in this thread about the similarities to the other two rides. But i still believe two things: (1) Exp. Everest is on the other side of the country (I mean Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom are extremely similar) and (2) I love thunder mountain and having two versions of these would just spread the crowd out among two rides.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    thanks though. Having thunder mountain may be a little to similar, but expedition everest is all the way on the other side of the country and not many people on the west coast get to experience it. i was just trying to bring more exciting ride to DCA.

Anyways, what's your idea?
    true, but what i'm worried about is people just calling this new DCA ride the western version of Expedition Everest. Ok that isn't my main worry, I just don't like the idea of using the same ride elements of an already present attraction, so geographicly, yes Expedition Everest and your idea are far away but it just seems kind of "fill in the blank" like ok, now we'll just replace the yeti with Big foot, and that shadow sequence with a figure of big foot instead. I wouldn't mind if they used the same ride system but it's just kinda lazy in the creativity demartment IMHO.

my idea is to make a new version of the Mine train through Natures Wonderland. (yeah I just gave you the whole spiel of re-using attraction ideas but this is an extinct attraction and this version would not feel the same in story) I havn't worked out the order of scenes or were it would go but i'll list some of the things you'd experience on The Mine train through Grizzly Peak

• A trip through a Rainbow caverns type cave
    • encounters with numerous critters of northern California
    • possibly an outburst of speed (with a "something goes wrong" thing behind it)
    • see some gold miners(AA's) panning for gold
    • at the climax of the ride you meet Big foot

that's a pretty good idea, and I understand that the original is extinct
    one question: is Rainbow caverns like the Thunder mountain theme or is it more of a forest, not desert theme?
    if it's forest, i like a lot of your ideas

as for my ride, i would have also had the panning for gold scenes and the critters; as for its similarities to Exp. Everest. the shadow scene could be changed or taken out; but i still like the idea of a backwards portion; cause in my knowledge not one ride as the Disneyland Resort provides a backwards experience (i mean fast backwards not omnimover backwards), it would be something new.

maybe for the location in the tunnel where you just finished going backwards. there could be miners looking for gold. One of them says you shouldn't be in here; no tourists aloud. Then another one says you will be cursed by the monster of the mountain
    then you later have the encounter with bigfoot.

• Fancy that...

ummm A bit of both i guess why do you ask?

and I like the backwards sequence staying and the shadow thing going but it's more about just not even having to compare it to Everest to make your ideas. I think that if you let go of the "western version of Expedition Everest" mentality you can realy make a truly awsome attraction that's completely original.

• Yo!

I know that the structural problems are evident, but for the parts that the train goes "underground" this is really just an addition of the moutain on top of the original exterior.
    I really like your idea, but it's just not possible to build an attraction like this given Grizzly Peak's current infrastructure. A slow-moving train ride I could maybe see as feasible (and that's a big maybe), but there's no way a roller coaster could be built into the mountain.

Everest was an engineering marvel in itself. If you look at construction pictures, the supports for the track never touch the supports for the mountain. The two structures are entirely independent, and never come into contact with one another. Designing a coaster like that on an already existing structure not made to handle those kinds of loads would just be a nightmare, if not completely impossible.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

you're right 1foolishmortal but we can all dream. lol
    anyways i just wish there was someway Disney could invest another billion into DCA take down Grizzly Peak, rebuild it with the new ride, and make me happy... wait i think that's a good plan ............ oh sorry I just remembered that's never gonna happen!!
    watever i can deal with it.

• Fancy that...

maybe for the location in the tunnel where you just finished going backwards. there could be miners looking for gold. One of them says you shouldn't be in here; no tourists aloud. Then another one says you will be cursed by the monster of the mountain
    then you later have the encounter with bigfoot.
    hmm, no problem with a miner warning you but i'd like to see more than just that, like a lot of elaborate themeing and foreshadowing type stuff, you know?

pianoman, yah i guess i could just think of a new ride that is different but from what i've been reading it looks like building anything on grizzly peak would be a tough accomplishment.

• Yo!

you're right 1foolishmortal but we can all dream. lol
    anyways i just wish there was someway Disney could invest another billion into DCA take down Grizzly Peak, rebuild it with the new ride, and make me happy... wait i think that's a good plan ............ oh sorry I just remembered that's never gonna happen!!
    watever i can deal with it.
    Or, wait until Phase 2 rolls around and they build the attraction that's supposed to replace the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast