Page 1 of 31 12341126 ... LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Sad Save Small World! (Why the Classic Shouldn't be changed!)

According to Al, It's a Small World, now over 40 years old is being rumored now to be seeing the addition of Disney characters.

Not only does this mock the whole pride of the attraction. But it mocks the pride of the park.

Disneyland 30 years ago barely had as many attractions which delt with Disney characters and movies. Now, if we lose Small World we will be seeing the number of current original Disney attractions that haven't been affected by Disney markets drop to under fifteen.

• Jungle Cruise
    • Enchanted Tiki Room
    • Mark Twain
    • Canoes
    • Columbia
    • Big Thunder
    • Space Mountain
    • Disneyland Railroad
    • Monorail
    • Autopia
    • Space Mountain
    • Matterhorn

We need to save original stories and experiences that are unique to Disneyland as well as the fact that not every attraction can only survive if we see a Disney character. In Hong Kong, the move for Small World was to introduce Disney, which is much reasonable then spoiling the original which has worked well for over 40 years for no reason.

If you want to plus, plus with new and original ideas, not ideas transfered from another park for reasons that don't apply to your park. In addition, Small World was created to salute nations other then our own. Cutting the Rainforest theme from It's A Small World not only destroys another part of the world but it goes agains the original standpoint that Walt wanted. To have the attraction focus other worlds. If there is a problem, pluss the scene, don't destroy it!

We all need to help save the original creativity of It's a Small World and hope that we won't be seeing Mickey Mouse on the Autopia or Space Mountain soon.

Thanks for reflecting with me and please voice your opinions!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Save Small World! (Why the Classic Shouldn't be changed!)

I agree Walt Jr. Disney characters don't need to be in our face everywhere. While I'm not a big fan of IASW, I do appreciate it's history and I'd hate to lose some of that. I am really looking forward to the refurb because it was really slipping and needed so sprucing up. I'd hate to think the major refurb was just an excuse to add Disney characters all over.

• "I Break Things"

Not a huge Small World fan, but I will enjoy the bigger boats.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I agree Walt Jr. Disney characters don't need to be in our face everywhere. While I'm not a big fan of IASW, I do appreciate it's history and I'd hate to lose some of that. I am really looking forward to the refurb because it was really slipping and needed so sprucing up. I'd hate to think the major refurb was just an excuse to add Disney characters all over.
    I think it's ironic about the historical facts they are putting out on the walls to honor the attraction when inside they are planning to completely change it with the characters.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    While I'm not a big fan of IASW, I do appreciate it's history...
    I think that will pretty much sum up the majority of posts in this thread.

If there's a great deal of folks out there who don't like the attraction, why not change it?

• Still lost in Neverland

I am assuming this is something that Al wrote about today, but I don't know as I can't get Mice Age to load in. Over five mintues of waiting for www.miceage.com to load is a little strange. Either the site is overloaded with hits, or it's crashed because of the load. I will try later.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Minion

I for one wouldn't mind the change, but only is its subtle. If its nothing but Disney characters all over the place and in your face then it will lower the standards of the attraction. The attraction has a lot of history, and adding to the attraction is great, but only if it compliments it.
    Jeff Wayne

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I think that will pretty much sum up the majority of posts in this thread.

If there's a great deal of folks out there who don't like the attraction, why not change it?
    Because change isn't always a good thing, even if it isn't a 1,500 guests an hour ride. Ask about Iago & Zazo management at the TikiRoom.

• Shablagoo!

I do not look forward to these changes either. Unfortunately, Walt Jr., you have to remove another attraction from your list, since the Canoes are the Davy Crockett Canoes and tie into the TV show.

• Lowering Expectations

Thank You for making this thread - if you hadn't, I would have.

I was shocked and deeply horrified to hear that it's a small world will now feature Disney characters. I can hardly express my utter dismay that the classic 1964 New York World's Fair attraction, successful and popular for over 40 years, is losing its creative integrity and purpose to become nothing more than a game of Disney character hide-and-seek. It is an insult to the message of world brotherhood and unity that the attraction stands for.

Disney needs to stop fixing things that ain't broke. The main purpose of the 9 to 10 month refurbishment is to deepen the waterway and add more buoyant boats to handle the heavier guests of the 21st century, and it's true whether Disney is going to admit it or not. Also, giving much-needed tender loving care to the set pieces and dolls (much of which are originals from the 1960s) was also in the plans, as well as making much more inviting "hello" and "goodbye" rooms to the bookends of the attraction itself. This is mostly restoration work - bringing the attraction back to its former glory, as well as doing out with the weakest parts of the attraction (the beginning and end, which are not original). What I'm NOT fine with is this bastardization work - adding figures that have no place in this attraction and straying away from the intent of both Mary Blair and Walt.

Everything about it's a small world - the song, the attraction, the message - has become and is today quintessentially Disney. Did someone assume the attraction is not Disney enough? Must an attraction feature Disney (or Pixar) characters to be worthy of the Disney name? I consider this rationale extremely nearsighted and downright sad. We have seen the trend - consider recent attractions such as Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management, Stitch's Great Escape, Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, Tarzan's Treehouse...the list goes on. Not only has the realm of fantasy extended past the borders of Fantasyland, but Disney is forcing their animated characters into attractions that already have occupants.

Granted, small world resides in the world of fantasy, but Disney characters have no place in the attraction, no more than they do in the Matterhorn. Never should they be paired with boys and girls singing about how we really are (or ought to be) closer than we think we are. "There's so much that we share, that it's time we're aware..." Even children can understand and appreciate the message. Will that still be the case when they are more concerned about seeing Mulan in China, Aladdin in the Middle East, or Simba in Africa?

There is no logical explanation I can think of to justify this decision. Southern Californians know their Disney characters very well, and one would hope that they know in which part of the world they would fit without having to see them in this attraction. My suspicion is that it is another merciless ploy to get guests thinking about which Disney character they want to buy in the store at the exit of the attraction.

This is a sad day indeed. One of the few remaining "pure" attractions left in the original Disneyland Park, USA, is losing its identity.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 02-26-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• no flash photography...

From the article it sounds like it will be subtle. i don't care either way. I can't even recall the rain forest theme. To be honest most I don't even know what countries most of the scenes are tryign to depict.

• It's all nonsense

Do we know if the characters will be in the small world, Mary Blair style? If they are made to look like they've been there the whole time, it won't be so bad.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I do not look forward to these changes either. Unfortunately, Walt Jr., you have to remove another attraction from your list, since the Canoes are the Davy Crockett Canoes and tie into the TV show.
    If 'marketing' and 'synergy' is the standard Walt Jr. is using to base his list of non-affected attractions, the canoes can remain, IMO. They were the Indian War Canoes until 1971, when the name was changed, and the attraction enveloped by Bear Country--long after any 'marketing' considerations were a factor for the long-dead Crockett 'craze'. Personally, it seems the re-naming was more an homage to Crockett (and indirectly to Walt).

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Do we know if the characters will be in the small world, Mary Blair style? If they are made to look like they've been there the whole time, it won't be so bad.
    are there pictures of the hong kong ISAW ride? I think the article said they are in that ride. i wonder how they look.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Meh.

They did changes to Pirates and Mansion, both classic attractions, and the world didn't cease to exist as we know it. Nothing wrong with sprucing up something that's a bit aged. I mean isn't that why god created Botox?

Page 1 of 31 12341126 ... LastLast