Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Re: Chef's Counter at Napa Rose

Can't say enough about Napa Rose! Really top-notch. I've never tried the prix fixe menu, but I've heard nothing but good things. The menu changes with the season - my recommendation is to TALK TO YOUR SERVER. They are super-duper-experts, but more importantly - in my experience - they are always honest. The last time I was there I was having trouble deciding between the steak or the pork chop and he took the time to ask me a few questions about my personal tastes and then honestly explained why it sounded like I wouldn't be happy with the steak that trip, it was everything you could ask for. Also, don't forget to save room for desert, they're TO DIE FOR!!!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

I'm pretty sure that the price listed there for the Vintner's Dinner is old. I'm pretty sure it's $85 for dinner now and the wines are like $45. If not more by now. Worth it but I thought you should know. And we love the Chef's Counter too. We always plan on ordering off the menu but almost always end up with the Vintner's Dinners. They are amazing.
    Last edited by christyvoltron; 02-28-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Wanted to add some information

No Question now, I will have what ever the Chef recommends.

I'm so hungry! I'm going to gain 20 pounds before I ever get there because I stay hungry all the time thinking about this!!
    Last edited by MMBunny; 02-28-2008 at 01:26 PM.

We ate at the Chef's Counter for my birthday in November. I don't know what they call it, but we had a 5-course meal that was customized for each of us. The chef asked about our likes, dislikes, allergies, etc., then created different items for each of us.
    We also got a couple of extra taster samples. I was sitting next to the section of counter where the waiters pick up their orders. I commented that the soup looked tasty, and soon we were brought a small cup of the soup to try.
    The price was just a bit more than the set 5-course meal, and it was definitely worth it.

• I Can Show You the World

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ View Post
    We ate at the Chef's Counter for my birthday in November. I don't know what they call it, but we had a 5-course meal that was customized for each of us. The chef asked about our likes, dislikes, allergies, etc., then created different items for each of us.
    We also got a couple of extra taster samples. I was sitting next to the section of counter where the waiters pick up their orders. I commented that the soup looked tasty, and soon we were brought a small cup of the soup to try.
    The price was just a bit more than the set 5-course meal, and it was definitely worth it.

That sounds wonderful! Just curious would you be willing to share how much the 5 course meal cost?

The chef's counter is a lot of fun. Like a poster above, we sat there for the Candlelight dinner this past year. If you're into the inner workings of the restaurant, then you'll enjoy it.

The center most seat literally is right next to the "pass" where the final preparations and made on each dish and it is taken by the servers. It's quite the ballet between kitchen and servers as all of this activity happens with very few verbal ques. In fact, I was a bit surprised at how little verbal instructions are passed around. There's some kind of post it note dance going on at the pass that seems to keep everything very organized and timed.

The downside of the counter is that it's very difficult to hold a conversation in a party of 4 if you are on either end of the counter. The only other thing I could add would be that the server has a rough time serving this position as they have to reach quite a distance to get to you. I felt bad for them, but they did an excellent job.

The upside is that you get to watch the entire kitchen and get an idea of how things work. How rare is that? And we did get to chat with Chef Sutton as well, which is always a cool thing.

s.

The menu changes seasonally. The Vintner's menu changes every Thursday. The Vintner's is the "prix fixe" or five-course menu. I believe, as I mentioned above, it is $85 per person. But it is worth it as far as I'm concerned. If the chef has time he will make a meal for you (random stuff that is on the menu) and it costs the same as the Vintner's meal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12