Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Sad Boyd Coddington passed away!

I heard it on the way home... thought I would put it in here since he worked for Disneyland at one point! Also his hotrods were in part an inspiration to Cars and will likely be an inspiration to Carsland since it is themed around California Car Culture.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...iWSswD8V31V5O2
    By JEFF WILSON
    LOS ANGELES (AP) Car-building legend Boyd Coddington, whose testosterone-injected cable TV reality show "American Hot Rod" introduced the nation to the West Coast hot rod guru, has died. He was 63.

Coddington died at Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in suburban Whittier at 6:20 a.m. Wednesday. His La Habra office spokeswoman Amanda Curry wouldn't disclose the cause of death.

Coddington, who started building cars when he was 13 and once operated a gas station in Utah, set a standard for his workmanship and creativity, with his popular "Cadzilla" creation considered a design masterpiece. The customized car based on a 1950s Cadillac was built for rocker Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.

"That was a groundbreaking car. Very cool," said Dick Messer, executive director of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

"This was your modern era George Barris," Messer said. "He did things to hot rods and customs that weren't being done by anyone else. But the main thing is he designed cars that were drivable."

Coddington was a machinist by trade, working at Disneyland during the day and tinkering with cars in his home garage at night and on weekends. His rolling creations captured the imagination of car-crazy Southern Californians and soon he was building custom cars and making money.

Most often, he customized 1932 Ford "little deuce coupes."
    "It was one of those things when a hobby turned into business," Messer said, noting Coddington was also "one of the first guys to get into the custom wheel business."

Wheels by Boyd were fetching $2,000 apiece, which was unheard of two decades ago.

Coddington also surrounded himself with talent. Alumni from his shop include Jesse James and Chip Foose, who went on to open their own shops and star in reality TV shows.

Coddington twice won the Daimler-Chrysler Design Excellence Award and he was inducted into the Grand National Roadster Show Hall of Fame, the National Rod & Custom Museum Hall of Fame and the Route 66 Wall of Fame.
    Always dressed in a Hawaiian shirt, Coddington said he loved his "American Hot Rod" Discovery Channel show, which featured ground-up construction of $500,000 hot rods.

"The viewers are ... people who lived in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s and loved these cars. Now, they have money," Coddington told The Associated Press in a 2004 interview.
    While I know Disney won't... I would love to see some sort of small memorial to him in Carsland, considering what he did for Car Culture.
    Last edited by techskip; 02-27-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• A Honorary Autobot

Re: Boyd Coddington passed away!

As brutal as it is for me to say, I'm not too saddened by this.

Having lived my whole life in the midst of car culture, having met Boyd personally as a budding drag racer and car builder at the age of 18 years old, and having grown up to become an automotive journalists specializing in American musclecars and hot rods, for which he was best known, the passing of Boyd falls on a lot of deaf ears.

Sadly, Boyd's business practices were sour at best. He leaves this world with less friends and admirers than famous curmudgeon Evel Kenevil. As my experience in meeting him at his own shop long before his custom rods became the fodder of Barrett Jackson auctions and he became the dour anti-hero of his own show, he showed to me he true colors then.

Does Disney owe Boyd any sort of memoriam? No. Additionally, were Steve Martin to tragically pass before his time, I would say equally no, even in the light of Steve's countless contributions to the park that gave him his start.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    As brutal as it is for me to say, I'm not too saddened by this.

Having lived my whole life in the midst of car culture, having met Boyd personally as a budding drag racer and car builder at the age of 18 years old, and having grown up to become an automotive journalists specializing in American musclecars and hot rods, for which he was best known, the passing of Boyd falls on a lot of deaf ears.

Sadly, Boyd's business practices were sour at best. He leaves this world with less friends and admirers than famous curmudgeon Evel Kenevil. As my experience in meeting him at his own shop long before his custom rods became the fodder of Barrett Jackson auctions and he became the dour anti-hero of his own show, he showed to me he true colors then.

Does Disney owe Boyd any sort of memoriam? No. Additionally, were Steve Martin to tragically pass before his time, I would say equally no, even in the light of Steve's countless contributions to the park that gave him his start.
    I never knew him on a personal or professional basis. I met him many times, and I've been to the shop more times then I can count. I am a HUGE fan of classic cars, not hotrods, just classics. Boyd did a lot of restores as well as rods... and I would stand out looking at them loading the truck. He happened to be out one day and noticed me, started talking, and invited me in. From then on I had several invitations whenever he saw me looking at all the cars. For a classic car fanatic, standing next to fully restored 30's and 40's is an amazing experience. For what it's worth I was sad. I also heard a lot of comments from a lot of individuals in the industry. Part if it may be an unwillingness to speak ill of the dead. Part of it was respect for someone who pushed the limits of the industry, won best in show countless times, and whose name was a hallmark of quality and detail. He did concept cars, wish Innoventions had a couple of those, he did plenty of classics, wish Carsland had a couple of those... overall he did a lot for the car culture and like it or not, it is a loss.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

I don't know much about cars, except that my family loves them. However, I do see fit to add something about him in Carsland. Maybe not a memorial, but have LOTS of little things about people who have influenced cars as we know them today, or as we knew them a long time ago. I like a little education with my fun.

To say Steve Martin doesn't deserve anything is a bit harsh, but this thread is not about him so that's all I have to say.

RIP.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Blind to His Own Faults

Met him twice--my first and second impression was: 'horse's ***'. But, I'm sort of a horse's *** myself, so I didn't necessarily fault him. No memorial for Boyd---save the money for my tribute when the time comes.

He seemed like a jerk to me.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

It is a loss to car culture. I'm personally not a fan of Boyds. He just seemed like a real ****. However, even throught my distaste for hot rods, and the like, he did make some pretty cars. And i can always respect him for his knowledge of his subject, and it seemed like he had a real passion for what he does.

Maybe now someone will come out who doesn't just do hot rods. Maybe a big time Datsun guy!

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post

Maybe now someone will come out who doesn't just do hot rods. Maybe a big time Datsun guy!
    Already HAVE a big time Datsun guy--ME (even more reason for my enormous posthumous tribute)!!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Already HAVE a big time Datsun guy--ME (even more reason for my enormous posthumous tribute)!!

I for one will donate all that i can to give you the proper send off Swab! Perhaps we could sway the Disney company to rename Frontierland, to Swabland.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    I for one will donate all that i can to give you the proper send off Swab! Perhaps we could sway the Disney company to rename Frontierland, to Swabland.
    Just a statue will be fine--incidentally, for the record--I don't want to be immortalized holding hands with anyone.

Just a statue will be fine--incidentally, for the record--I don't want to be immortalized holding hands with anyone.
    Will you have your Davy Crockett hat on? How about instead of a statue, you can make a deal and as a memorial, they can axe F! for you.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It is impossible to hold hands with someone eternally if you are constantly "hand-wringing" in the afterlife.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Love or hate him, he still has done much for the industry and deserves credit for his accomplishments and success.

But Disney does not need to give him any tribute. If they give him tribute simply for working in the park many years ago or for somewhat inspiring a movie, then everyone who has done the same thing should get the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Love or hate him, he still has done much for the industry and deserves credit for his accomplishments and success.
    Thank you, DisneyWrassler--I can always count on you to be the voice of reason. How tall should my statue be?
    But Disney does not need to give him any tribute.
    WHAT?! Nevermind about that 'voice of reason' thing earlier.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Thank you, DisneyWrassler--I can always count on you to be the voice of reason. How tall should my statue be?

WHAT?! Nevermind about that 'voice of reason' thing earlier.
    I'm saying that there shouldn't be any kind of statue of him or anything. I think however it would be neat if Disney hired his company to make some cars for the land though. Have his company build the car Ramone is in Cars or something...I am so bad with car brand names and styles.

But I don't think any CM's turned celebrities should get their own tribute at Disneyland. If they are going to get a tribute, then I think Disney should give tribute to all CM's and not just the ones that became famous.

That's all I am saying. Now can I please get off the plank or am I gonna be meeting Davy Jones for an early dinner tonight?

I don't know how big your statue should be, but it better have hydrolics.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast