Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maynard the CM!

• is too darn hot.

Re: Maynard the CM!

He was at the MiceChat megameet near the Fantasia Gardens working Guest Control. I think he mostly does GC shifts anymore.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

You can also check out his website http://www.maynardsmith.com
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Banned User

I hate to say this, but, he sort of gives me the creeps for some reason!

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I hate to say this, but, he sort of gives me the creeps for some reason!
    Have you ever met him in person? As far as cast members go, he's definitely one of the greatest assets they have right now.

If you ever worry about a lack of mental stimulation in the park, just go find Maynard. He'll be doing commercial acts in a squirrely voice one minute, then switch into an in-depth discussion on the importance of cohesive theme and the value of the theatre element in Disneyland's show atmosphere.

Now I say this in perfect, deadly seriousness: the first time I heard Maynard start discussing how the unique experience at Disneyland is how the guests walk through the fourth wall and become interconnected with the show, I genuinely freaked out and thought, "OMG, MAYNARD IS PRAGMATIC IDEALIST."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Lady View Post
    Have you ever met him in person? As far as cast members go, he's definitely one of the greatest assets they have right now.

If you ever worry about a lack of mental stimulation in the park, just go find Maynard. He'll be doing commercial acts in a squirrely voice one minute, then switch into an in-depth discussion on the importance of cohesive theme and the value of the theatre element in Disneyland's show atmosphere.
    ."
    I've not met him. But, is he ALL goofing off? Or, can you actually have a normal conversation with him? I think that is what's off-putting to me, is that every photo looks so goofy, that he seems like he's not ever serious. I loved meeting Oscar at Carnation Cafe. He was adorable, and I enjoyed our conversation so much. I love to chat with people who have worked at DL a long time, but, are still nice to talk with and hear stories from, you know?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I've not met him. But, is he ALL goofing off? Or, can you actually have a normal conversation with him? I think that is what's off-putting to me, is that every photo looks so goofy, that he seems like he's not ever serious. I loved meeting Oscar at Carnation Cafe. He was adorable, and I enjoyed our conversation so much. I love to chat with people who have worked at DL a long time, but, are still nice to talk with and hear stories from, you know?
    I have had normal conversations with him. Ask him about his time in Australia and New Zealand and you will find out just how intelligent he really is. He just loves life and thats why I think he is great.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

He's definitely not all goofing-off. In fact, I'd say the goofing-off comes from how seriously he takes the Disneyland experience. As I was saying, he's very serious about Disneyland being treated as a stage where performers interact with guests to make the experience truly magical. All of his performances are to keep in line with that philosophy.

He and I had a huge discussion about this at the Mega-Meet where he articulated his thoughts very intelligently and impressively, and I was left with the belief that he's probably the most intelligent cast member currently working there. Behind the goofy face is a very serious and dedicated performer who really cares about the guests' experience. Even Swab wouldn't be able to disagree with Maynard when he really gets going about the importance of theming within the park.

Hello Pratt55 - from "the other couple in the first Maynard Youtube clip" - TommyFlix

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Last weekend Maynard was working Opera House and Parade control route(?). When it gets closer to your arrival I would ask again as he may be in a different spot. I was with the other couple in the first Maynard Youtube clip you put up and he was working a special event at the Big Thunder Ranch.

I took this pic outside of the Opera House about 20 min before midnight on New Year's Eve. Maynard really is a nice guy who puts everything he has into making people have a great experience when in the parks.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

A video I took of him during one of my visits. Sorry that it is sideways. Work with me, please??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=eIPsmiLGMuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=EJDwK5LNrSg

• Old Timer

He is also a talented artist. He once gave me a thank you note on a note card on which he had reproduced one of his paintings.

• Banned User

Okay--I will have to seek him out in April and see what he's all about. Thanks for giving me more of a story of him, because mainly all I see are silly photos that he takes and I was afraid he was just a goofball. Not that I need to have serious world problem solving discussions with the guy. ha!

• Yo!

I used to think the same thing until I met him in Oct. of '06. He really is an intelligent person, and knows quite a bit about the history of the park, and most importantly he respects it. He seemed saddened with the current direction management was taking, though. He hinted that he really didn't want to be doing GC and he commented that he'd been "stuck" there a lot recently. Seems that management didn't like what he was doing at the other attractions (Tiki, HM) so they booted him to somewhere where he couldn't be as creative. He also somewhat suggested that if that pattern continued, he'd have to move on, but to where he wasn't sure. He seemed genuinely interested in making people happy, and it was really sad hearing him confirm what I'd guessed for so long about DL management. I'm glad that I was finally able to meet him, though. I haven't seen him since, so I hope things are doing better for him!
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    I used to think the same thing until I met him in Oct. of '06. He really is an intelligent person, and knows quite a bit about the history of the park, and most importantly he respects it. He seemed saddened with the current direction management was taking, though. He hinted that he really didn't want to be doing GC and he commented that he'd been "stuck" there a lot recently. Seems that management didn't like what he was doing at the other attractions (Tiki, HM) so they booted him to somewhere where he couldn't be as creative. He also somewhat suggested that if that pattern continued, he'd have to move on, but to where he wasn't sure. He seemed genuinely interested in making people happy, and it was really sad hearing him confirm what I'd guessed for so long about DL management. I'm glad that I was finally able to meet him, though. I haven't seen him since, so I hope things are doing better for him!
    While I think he is an intelligent and entertaining person, I agree with his being removed from HM and Tiki. His actions and antics on those attractions coudl be very distracting and took away from the experience, imo.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    While I think he is an intelligent and entertaining person, I agree with his being removed from HM and Tiki. His actions and antics on those attractions coudl be very distracting and took away from the experience, imo.
    I ABSOLUTELY Disagree with your "Distracting" statement.

It is true that he is very intelligent and entertaining, but also
    very talented, from drawings to voice acting. Maynard always
    keeps his "character" in theme to the attraction he's at. Pretty
    amazing considering how different each attraction is. At the
    Haunted Mansion immediately after boarding my doom buggy,
    I was entertained by "Victor, Hugo, and Laverne" finger puppets,
    another time Maynard encourage the group to move all the way
    in to the stretching portrait room by saying in a spooky voice:
    "Like a Haunted Bowl of Mashed potatoes, "Sqwoooshy, Squwooshy!"
    very entertaining and not distracting at all. At Honey I Shrunk the
    Audience, Maynard welcomed groups in the Theater with Labortory
    Mice finger puppets ~ again perfectly themed.

There are other examples of how well themed and timed he is,
    but at least one thing inspired by Maynard, and I don't believe
    Disneyland even credited Maynard for it, is the Pirahna on the
    Jungle Cruise. The Pirahna were added in the Spring of 2005,
    However several years prior to that, Maynard brought the Man
    Eating Pirahna to life in the Rapids section of the Jungle, by
    use of his vocal effects alone, and warning us of the Man-Eating
    Pirahna on one side of the boat and the Woman-Eating pirahna
    on the other side!

Many cast members do a great job, and just blend into the show
    that IS Disneyland, a few cast members go out of the way to
    really help you out, and make that time special. And once in
    a while you happen upon a cast member who not only makes
    the time special, BUT is also a Fantastic "Storyteller" ~ someone
    that truely exhibits that enthusiasm and ability to enhance the
    attraction and show. The majority of these cast members I
    have seen on Jungle Cruise ~ likely because the Guide is part
    of the show ~ they can either make or break the attraction.
    Of course there is a risk with that, I certainly have a couple
    Jungle Cruise guides that were duds, BUT then again I've seen
    some of the best cast members on the jungle cruise, as well!

Two Cast Members really stand out most, with guest interaction,
    Maynard, of course , and Rod who used to play the piano at Coke
    Corner. Both have added substantially to enhancing DL. It's fun
    to be on the look out for cast members who can turn an ordinary
    DL trip, and turn it into something even more special.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast