• No

13 22.81%
  • Dude, let the past go....

25 43.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia Land

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Nostalgia Land

After lurking around here for a while, and being a member for a few months, i have noticed that a lot of us around here tend be nostalgic for the Disneyland we all knew when we were younger. For me, I miss the Tomorrowland of my youth. It was in the early days of Star Tours, the People Mover was still moving people, Circarama was still around, and the original paint job was still intact.

So, to get down to the point, i was wondering, with all this discussion of a 3rd gate opening up in Anaheim at some point, would any of you be willing to pay a little extra to have a 3rd gate that was based around previous attractions. Being that many of the older attractions were removed for maintenence issues, would any of you be willing to pay extra to get into this 3rd gate? I was trying not to think of this as the "boutique" park, but most likely, it will not be something that everyone will want to go to, and the gate charge will need to be higher to finance the park.

Anyway, hope i can attract some interesting ideas out of this.

Bob

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

• Hiding in the shadows

Re: Nostalgia Land

As much as it pains me, I have to go with Let the past go.

Mostly because any remake of an old attraction would never be the same. Taking ATIS and putting it in a new park, in a new land with a different feel would not give me the warm fuzzy of the nostalgic attraction. It wasn't just the attractions, it was the feel of the park, especailly tomorrowland. I just don't see how it could be done well and still be popular to the masses. That time is gone, all wwe have is memories.

I would rather see something new and great than return to the past that will never live up to how we remember it.

A little piece of heaven

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post

Mostly because any remake of an old attraction would never be the same. Taking ATIS and putting it in a new park, in a new land with a different feel would not give me the warm fuzzy of the nostalgic attraction. It wasn't just the attractions, it was the feel of the park, especailly tomorrowland. I just don't see how it could be done well and still be popular to the masses. That time is gone, all wwe have is memories.
    I totally see what you are getting at. I don't think it would have the same feel either. This was just something that came to me, and wanted to hear some thoughts on it. I myself dont know if i would be willing to shell out the extra money. It would depend on price.

• ... the Axis of Awesome

Captain EO! That's what Tomorrowland is missing to give it that great vibe.
    "I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds." -- Walt Disney
    "Quality is a great business plan. -- John Lasseter

• Knight that says Nee!!

Would I PAY EXTRA? No

Would I visit a "nostalgialand"? Sure thing, but as MT & BB said already, it would not really be the same as the original stuff it is honoring.

I know as well as everyone else, that it will not be the same as when all these attractions were new. The idea was would anyone want a park that had all the attractions, just maybe not in the same location as their original counterparts.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    I know as well as everyone else, that it will not be the same as when all these attractions were new. The idea was would anyone want a park that had all the attractions, just maybe not in the same location as their original counterparts.
    Interesting...would a younger generation care about the park of their "fore fathers"? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Interesting...would a younger generation care about the park of their "fore fathers"? I don't know.
    Thats why i was hesitant to bring up the fact that this would be a "boutique" park. Since it would be for an audience that Disney does not really market to, albeit that was another discussion.
    I think this would be the first park that was geared mainly for adults, or people over the age of say, 25? I fit in that range, i just don't consider myself an adult.

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    Many of these attractions were less than high tech for our time now. Would I love one last ride on the PM...sure, would I want a park with a new PM, probably not unless it had something else to it, new and plussed. I don't want a replica of the past because it will cheapen my wonderful memories of that past, and it just wouldnt be the same.

If the third gate could be a time machine to sometime in maybe the 80's, I;m in and I would be willing to pay extra!

A little piece of heaven

If the third gate could be a time machine to sometime in maybe the 80's, I;m in and I would be willing to pay extra!
    You and me both!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I wouldn't pay extra but I'm tighter than a nun.

Many of these attractions were less than high tech for our time now. Would I love one last ride on the PM...sure, would I want a park with a new PM, probably not unless it had something else to it, new and plussed. I don't want a replica of the past because it will cheapen my wonderful memories of that past, and it just wouldnt be the same.
    I like this idea. Perhaps Nostalgia Land could roll both old attractions, updated with new technology into one. Like for example, bring back ATIS, but with new visual and audio tech and the like.

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

I'd pay to go to Nostalgia Land, one time. And then I would realize that the magic is in Disneyland, not the individual rides.

Then, I'd take out my pass, enter the gate looking at Mickey's big face, and then walk down Mainstreet USA, just like Walt once did.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I wouldn't pay extra but I'm tighter than a nun.
    So many roads for this one...i'll just leave it be..

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Nostalgia is a great thing if it stays in the past. I can look back at the DL of my youth and remember only the good things. People tend to only remember the good things and forget about what was bad! People talk about the people mover like it was some great E ride, what I remember about the PM is that it was really boring, slow and outdated.

I think about my first car it was a 1959 "MG" A hard top. I think about it and remember all the fun times about the car, what I tend to forget is that it was broken down most of the time.

I say look to the future, the youth dream about what it was like to ride the PM and other Yesterland things. But as good as Nostalgia is, the future is better.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast