Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Capacity at Disneyland, conspiracy???

I was interested in knowing some of your opinions about why Disney has so greatly reduced the capacity of DL. It seems odd to me that with the park reaching capacity relatively frequently that it would not be beneficial to add more high capacity attractions and certainly not continue to remove large capacity attractions, but this is just what they have done over the last 10 to 15 year. (Though I guess that is somewhat slowly being reversed.)

Additionally, with so many AP's and fastpasses and 2fers, the need to keep people off the pathways and inside attractions is ever greater, yet they have done little to resolve these issues.

So, I have a conspiracy theory and was wondering what you all might think. Do any of you think all of this has been a concious effort to falsely inflate attendance at DCA over the last few years in an attempt by management to hide the true magnitude of the failure at DCA?

It seems to make sense, you can easily see how much this could inflate DCA's attendance figures and if Disney wanted to save face and fool everyone with higher than realistic attendance figures, including it's investors wouldn't this be an easy way to do so. Wouldn't this fool most investors while in reality probably actually decreaing potential profits? Let me know what you think...

• no flash photography...

Re: Capacity at Disneyland, conspiracy???

I don't think they are doing that....

Interesting theory, Uncle Bob. On a related note, I"ve often wondered how Disneyland gets away with the number of bodies it crams into that little 70 acres or so. Any other place and the fire marshall would have a fit! It's actually scary to be in the Park when it's elbow-to-elbow. I agree -- more high-capacity attractions, and less ODV carts and FASTPASS machines are in order!

• Senior Minion

Werner,

I've often thought that too, but as compared to a Saturday in the mid eighties when I visited, the busiest I've ever seen it, there were probably at least 30,000 more people then they even will allow in today. (Not to mention I'm sure there were many days back then when there were far more people than today and it actually felt less busy in the park.)

I'm also sure there are many safety precautions for evacuation in place so hopefully a fire wouldn't trap too many people.

• "I Break Things"

Odd since it is the Fire Marshall that determines the park capacity, and it has actually been lowered over time! Even if you have higher capacity rides, you can not count on them always being up. There has to be room for people. Examples of when capacity was reviewed and lowered include right after MLEP left, and right after New Years Eve 99 (leading in to 2000). In both cases it was determined that the previous "safe" number was too high.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Senior Minion

Techskip, why'd you have to go and ruin a perfectly good conspiracy theory with logic like that. It's a lot more fun to believe in an extravagent and complicated conspiracy theory. Anyway, I know in reality it's the fire marshall's decision, but I thought it would have made a good conspiracy. And I'm sure that the fire marshall was right, I really don't think it was safe on some of those days in the past.

It did make me think of something interesting though... In this capcity sense, the amazing design of DL actually limits it. The small pathway through those tunnels that helps create the amazing transition from the real world to the DL world really causes a problem to evacuate the park. Even if there were other options to exit from the park the majority of people would try to exit the way they entered which would obviously create a dangerous bottleneck.

I guess in the end you could make the exact opposite arguement, which probably in reality is the truth. Part of the reason to build DCA was the fact that DL does reach capacity often. So in the end, I guess it's actually a good thing for us fans because it did help get us a second park, which at least has some pretty cool attractions now, and eventually, I think is going to be really nice overall.

• Shubisha

well emergency evacuation is different from emptying the park. even 9/11's evacuation wasn't an emergency one. if it was truly a fire and such the escape plan calls for people to take various routes into backstage areas, not to try and bottleneck them out through the main entrance.

I doubt very seriously if Disney would turn people away they didn't have to. They'd pack us in like sardines if they could.

I am naturally wary of any conspiracy theory, but this one seems especially far fetched.

Conspiracy theories rely on the belief of an ability for a particular organization or group of people to be extremely well organized and forward thinking, and the simple fact that DCA is as big of a failure as it is tends to support the theory that Disney is simply not that organized to be able to pull off a grand puppet show with crowds and numbers after failing so big with DCA.

• Animatronic

There is a conspiracy, but it's not DCA related. Capacity was deliberately reduced at Disneyland starting in the 90's, well before DCA. The ODV carts, extra planters, stroller parking lots, fastpass machines, the closed attractions, even the jagged tomorrowland rocks all were added to serve one purpose. To force you into the stores to buy plush toys.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    well emergency evacuation is different from emptying the park. even 9/11's evacuation wasn't an emergency one. if it was truly a fire and such the escape plan calls for people to take various routes into backstage areas, not to try and bottleneck them out through the main entrance.
    I did make this point, and don't disagree at all, my point in this regard was simply that it would be people's natural tendancy to try and exit in the way that they came in.

This point can even be found right in the Uniform Building Code, in buildings, the code requires that a sufficient number of exit doors be provided in the location at which people would have entered from, based upon this natural tendancy. Thus the numerous doors you'll often see at the front of a building, despite the fact that are also additional exists requied around the building. Which obviously is a smaller version of the same pattern which you describe, which was the concept I was also trying to illustrate.

Obviously the evacuation plans would need to do anything they could to alleviate this problem, thus why they would have to evacuate like you say. But in the end the design of the park clearly would provide challenges for an evacuation.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    There is a conspiracy, but it's not DCA related. Capacity was deliberately reduced at Disneyland starting in the 90's, well before DCA. The ODV carts, extra planters, stroller parking lots, fastpass machines, the closed attractions, even the jagged tomorrowland rocks all were added to serve one purpose. To force you into the stores to buy plush toys.
    I think you're on to something here, this is even better than my theory. Now, if they could make it rain to sell more ponchos they'd really be on to something.

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think you're on to something here, this is even better than my theory. Now, if they could make it rain to sell more ponchos they'd really be on to something.
    What are you talking about, I thought Disney already did make it rain so we could sell more ponchos! haha...
    Class of 2005...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

If Disney had the control over the capacity and not the Fire Marshall, the total would be somewhere between what's allowed now and a million. Probably closer to a million.

• Blind to His Own Faults

If there is any conspiracy here, I believe it to be merely a marketing stratagem. People 'on' attractions or in line for them cannot spend money. Considering Disney's current attitudes toward the Parks, I would say it is counter-productive to get people 'off the streets' of DL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast