Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Mentat

Re: Snow White Castle

You said "White Castle"! Yum!

• Puppy Cuddles

Three? Do you mean the three in the movie (Philip's, Aurora's, Maleficent)? Actually, in the movie they two fathers were arguing about building them a new castle, so they have one that was never even shown.

Oh and the whole Snow White = Bavarian doesn't really help the argument. While I agree that it goes along with the Snow White theme they've picked, I've also read a German version of Sleeping Beauty. The national boundaries in fairy tales are slippery because you can usually find similar tales from many different regions. It's tough to track which one came about first.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

Walt Disney had planned the first Sleeping Beauty Castle to be Snow White Castle. The second Sleeping Beauty Castle opened in Paris, and that residence is, by far, the most appropriate for "Sleeping Beauty". The third Sleeping Beauty Castle will open in a few weeks in Hong Kong.

The Hong Kong castle is identical to California's except for a large Chinese mountain outside the park that is visible behind the edifice.

The castle in France matches the art direction of the film precisely. The story of Sleeping Beauty is told there through tapestries and stained glass. And, Maleficent as the dragon lurks in a lair beneath the castle, itself.

The design of California's castle, conversely, matches the art direction of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". The name, "Sleeping Beauty Castle", was arbitrarily applied to the landmark because the film was in production at the time and would soon be released to theatres. In my mind, the castle has belonged to Snow White this entire time, and Aurora has simply been taking care of the place until Snow White was able to return for the 50th Anniversary.

The symbolism of a rechristening could help to define Disneyland after the 50th Anniversary festivities conclude. Disney needs to do something historic at the end of the celebration.

Although there is probably not enough time, changing all the castles simultaneously would be ideal. Cinderella Castle could use a clock tower. A sailing ship would help to define The Little Mermaid Castle, and there are all sorts of possibilities for a Beauty and the Beast Castle.

When Hong Kong Disneyland opens, I have a feeling there will be a public outcry against the atrocious duplication and "lifting" that Disney has been doing with its priceless Disneyland. Walt Disney, before he died, was very explicit that whatever would be done in Florida would be different than that, which The Company did in California. And, yet, both The Magic Kingdoms in the U.S. share most of the same Attractions now.

• Shubisha

Well I'll give the french Beauty and the Beast. Disney's version at least.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

From what I've seen, Snow White originated from Ireland

Well I don't know for sure, but that's what my Honors English teacher told me, and she had a book to back up her theory. She read the story to us and it was way different from the Disney film. She read it to us because of St. Patrick's Day. hehe

• Shubisha

Our teacher read us Cinderella in 2nd or 3rd grade. When it got to the stepsisters cutting off their heels and later getting their eyes poked out by birds, I realized something was slightly different...

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, if you want Snow White to have a castle at Disneyland so badly, pragmaticIdealist, duckling, then you need to be fair to Aurora about it. Let HER have a dark ride in place of Snow White's. Otherwise, Fantasyland has way too much Snow White and might as well be called Snow White Land.

Orddu: I was wondering where the idea came from that the castle at Disneyland matches the art direction in Snow White. If anything, it seems to look more precisely like the art direction from Sleeping Beauty.

ORGOCH: Well, Heck!! I say don't try an' outsmart ol' Uncle Walt 'bout none a this!! If'n Walt Dizzy wanted hisself a Snoozin' Floozie Castle instead a some sort a Snow Ball & the 7 Flakes Castle, I say just let him have his way an' let it go. Plus it ain't right ta go evictin' folks from their home, after all them years. What kind a 'magic' fer guests is THAT?!

ORWEN: Next thing you know, somebody's going to come along and suggest that Alice be evicted from Wonderland--while turning her attraction into some other character's digs.

ORDDU: Well, they DID evict Mr. Toad in Florida--so that Winnie the Pooh could take up residence within the former Toad Hall. But I never recommend such bad ideas, myself.

I think it would be a horrible idea to rename the castle for Snow White. Walt is the one who named it Sleeping Beauty's castle, for whatever reason he did it, and he had 11 years to change the name back to Snow White before he died. So if he didn't do it, that's good enough for me.

If changing the name of the castle is the only thing Disney can think of to define the next 50 years, then creatively they're in a lot of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus
    ..., then creatively they're in a lot of trouble.
    Disney has been in trouble, creatively, for a long time now. That fact is the reason there are three Sleeping Beauty Castles.

From a strategic planning standpoint, Disney needs to differentiate each of The Magic Kingdoms from the others. Snow White Castle is just a convenient and creatively-sound way to do so because the residence was originally planned for her.

I know a few people are holding hope that the "Sleeping Beauty" diorama will return, but, if it ever does, it will not be placed inside the castle. And, now that I think about the removal of the Attraction, I believe it did undermine the fantasy of Disneyland in the same way the murals on the backside of the castle weaken Fantasyland. (Incidentally, those murals and some other "Sleeping Beauty" elements have been added to the castle by W.D.I. over the years to make the place seem like it belongs less to "Snow White" and more to "Sleeping Beauty".)

Disneyland should strive for total believability of the literal fictions The Magic Kingdom encompasses. A diorama with miniatures and limited movement in the figures may be nice, but, ultimately, such a stylized Attraction does not belong inside Disneyland.

The Disneyland Hotel would make a better home for a resurrected "Sleeping Beauty" diorama, if such a thing is to exist.

Again, the castle at Disneyland would remain relatively unchanged except for the name. Anyone who has been to Le Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant knows that it is the real Sleeping Beauty Castle.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 08-08-2005 at 10:46 AM.

• Say no to Assimilation

Re: There is no Snow White Castle

Didn't you have this same exact arguement on the mouseplanet board a few weeks ago???

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    The Disneyland Hotel would make a better home for a resurrected "Sleeping Beauty" diorama, if such a thing is to exist.
    Why not in the shop windows in Main St.? Why all the way over at the hotel?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Leave SLEEPING BEAUTY CASTLE alone! It was the first sleeping beauty castle and it should stay like that. If walt changed it because the movie was about to be released, why didn't he change it back to the original plans a few years later? Because it's fine as sleeping beauty's castle.. It also sounds more elegant then Snow Whites Castle! Could you imagine a castle filled with snow whites high voice... Oh dear! Leave the castle, it's been like that for 50 years! If they thought they needed to change it they would! How would anyone know if they changed the name anyways? Put a plaque now stating that it's snow whites castle... Not gonna happen!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Whoops... posted too soon. Sorry.
    Last edited by speederscout; 08-07-2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: whooops!

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Re: There is no Snow White Castle

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie
    Didn't you have this same exact arguement on the mouseplanet board a few weeks ago???
    ... And how did that incarnation end up?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Most likely every disagreed! No ones gonna wanna change the castle name, not even Matt! He's changed so much with disneyland, but I know he would never change that! Basically, this little idea is in your dreams

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast