Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Giving up Film

Anything and Everything - The Smells of Disneyland

Maybe Im just weird but there are very distinct smells around the park. Here's a chance to discuss the smells, the ones you like, the ones you don't, and maybe a chance to discuss what makes the smells and perhaps a way to replicate it at home?

I'll start by saying the smells in the "Star Tours" attraction both right before boarding, in the attraction and on the way down the ramp to the store are one of my favorites. Im guessing it's just a mechanical smell as it seems to be strongest when your getting on and off the vehicle, but it would be cool to find out what the actual cause of the smell is.

Another great smell is the inside of "Pirates of the Caribbean." Again any ideas as to what the smell is? Any ideas how to replicate it?

• A Dark Future

Re: Anything and Everything - The Smells of Disneyland

The ice machine where I work smells the same as PotC. People always think I'm crazy when they walk in the room and I have my head shoved in there with a huge smile on my face.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

the smells of pirates has def changed. it used to be a musky and moldy and now it just smells like chlorine. i loved the onld smell but its something i dont recommend replicating. lol

the blue ribbon bakery has to be one of my favorite smells in the park! and when i get a white mocha at starbucks it smells just like it!

C'mon everybody, here we go!

• =)

the smells of pirates has def changed. it used to be a musky and moldy and now it just smells like chlorine.
    Since when?! When I was there in December, it still smelled right! Please don't let it have changed...

I, too, love the smell of POTC water. Actually, just about any smell in the park is a good smell, from cough-inducing tram exhaust to the delicious smells from the Main Street ice cream parlor. (Okay, I lied--there was one time I smelled a smell I didn't like in the park. It was in the queue for Space Mountain, and I have no idea what it was, but it was terrible. )

• Collision speed....FULL!

Nothing like the smell of hot engine oil and diesel(or bio-diesel nowadays) from the Disneyland Railroad!

• =)

Nothing like the smell of hot engine oil and diesel(or bio-diesel nowadays) from the Disneyland Railroad!
    Agreed.

Mmmm... how about that great sewer smell on Main Street. You never can tell if it'll hit your nose near Town Square or maybe closer to the Carnation Cafe. But when it does hit... You know it! Pee-yew! Any ideas on what causes that stench and why it is not fixed?
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• =)

Mmmm... how about that great sewer smell on Main Street. You never can tell if it'll hit your nose near Town Square or maybe closer to the Carnation Cafe. But when it does hit... You know it! Pee-yew! Any ideas on what causes that stench and why it is not fixed?
    Hmmm, never had that problem on Main Street. By Splash Mountain's entrance, yes, and in the Indy queue...but never on Main Street. Oh well. Now it wouldn't bother me--I've got to deal with far more potent and tenacious sewer odors where I'm living now.

• Joyfully Addicted to Disn

Oh! the smell of the Candy Kitchen when something is cooking! Just Love that smell.

• future rockstar/imagineer

i just love walking down main street and smelling all the shops

• Cast Member

Hmm....there are only two distinctive smells in Disneyland for me.

The sewer smell that happens right around the train station and Newsstand, it's like the line just ends or opens up there.

The second (depending on my day) is the waffles being made at Gibson Girl Ice Cream parlor. It's either wonderful how it wafts over to Candy Palace, or too sickly sweet and makes me want to not breathe through my nose.

And as far as I can tell, there isn't much or any scent coming through from the Candy Kitchen on Main Street, at least from my experience. It's just from Gibson Girl.

There is another smell, familiar to CMs, the breakroom.

For whatever reason, they are musty and in need of a huge bleach/pinesol bath.

Bye.

• Giving up Film

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I completely forgot all about the railroad smell, indeed it is a great smell.

A lot of buildings (esp on Main Street) have this nice, clean, sort of metallic, and -- for lack of a better term -- "institutional" fragrance. But there is also a touch of mustiness. Like from an air conditioner. Anyway, I don't think it's intended to be a particularly evocative smell, but I love it. Also, I used to love the melange of the subs' diesel fumes along with the chlorine from the lagoon. And of course, like most, Pirates is one of the best. Also love the Haunted Mansion smell (which is quite similar to that clean/metallic/institutional/musty smell, albeit much more musty and "old" smelling). AHHHHHHHH. I wish there was an aftershave called "Haunted". LOL

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    (Okay, I lied--there was one time I smelled a smell I didn't like in the park. It was in the queue for Space Mountain, and I have no idea what it was, but it was terrible. )
    I know what it is, and got slapped by managers for trying to do something about it. Around all of the top space mountain concourse is those slotted drain grates. every single night except rainy days it is entirely hosed down. The smart thing to do is to pan and broom as much of the trash thrown around before starting hosing, but most don't do this, they just hose it all down.

all this trash goes into these drains, and over time it has become quite a issue. I'm not joking when I say disney has a mini composting farm up there in each of the drain channels. There is alot of dust,dirt, leaves, popcorn, "organics" of all kinds (from the outright nasty after too many kids eat alot of greasy food to the protein spills and spilled sodas/candy/etc) (edit: i've pulled out rusted batteries, juice boxes, capri sun juice bags, straws, the goofy candy company powder straws, and lots more also from those drain channels)

I pulled enough muck out of some of the drains to fill a 5 gallon pickle bucket (you may have seen some people walking around with a picker and a yellow bucket, those buckets) and then some. It all goes into the drains and becomes so bad, many of them have plants growing in them.

It's claimed that it's a laborers job to clean them (glorified janitor, but for rides) I think it's my job, fingers are pointed at the laborers to clean it, they never will, and I got slapped for destruction of company property just because I pulled up all the drains and ditched the screws to make it easier for cleaning purposes.

I'm guessing you smelled this during the summer, I know I have. stinks to high hell, like open sewer pits depending how the wind is..

Next time you are on top of the concourse, thank management and lead teams for power struggles for this pup trying to do his job and make the park a happy place to visit...

2 weeks after I got coached/slapped/verbal warned for "destruction of company property" it was announced at a roll call the following:

"guest service tip: see something that needs to be done? pitch in and do it!" (kinda paraphrashed, but you get the idea) couldn't help but glaring at the manager who said that rubbish, tried that and I got yelled at for that..

Other stenches around the park are the pizza port packer, the truck that takes it out punched a hole in one of the welded in stop blocks so it doesn't roll into a building, garbage water builds up in it and stinks to high hell...

The infamous adventureland smell everyone talks about comes from the Packer located near the stage door cafe/destroyed river belle terrace *cough* area. Those who are observant will notice the gates with the fireworks graphics painted on them, the packer is literally right behind that (OMG U ruined teh magic!) pfft.... whatever management...

Each packer behind it has a sewer drain with a grate over it. Some people will actually care to go above and beyond to keep areas clean, some won't. Manager teams love to force everyone to tend to front of house duties like cleaning worthless trash cans that 10 others come by and clean also while very important back of house stuff dies and languishes...

The adventureland packer there regularly gets food, cups, the works thrown into it, and foods people are some of the sloppiest pigs in the park second to most guests i've seen... (yep you heard it, bring the flames on) The whole area stinks like a giant sewage pit.

I've witnessed pots/pans laden with fryer grease dumped into sewers (big no no, clogs the pipes and back ups happen, that's what shut down New Orleans Main Kitchen for a while with a massive sewage leak last year) to everything else being thrown out improperly.

Until management learns that back of house areas are the life blood of the park, and not a g' damn trash can near the rivers of america or matter horn, alot of areas will continue to have rancid smells for years to come.

until management learns to praise cast members and actually LISTEN to their concerns and also praise those that go above and beyond to get a job done (I was clearing space mountain drains in a rain storm, while having a lead tell me to go hide somewhere versus work, how's that for leading/managing?) cast members who want to make a difference will continue to be increasingly alienated and pushed away right as the park slips into a utter crap hole. hell, it's happening now, not only does space mountain stink like a pig farm rendering plant, it also leaks like a pig.... HISTA is a swimming pool, when the lights are on in the theater before show start, look around at the walls and notice the heavy water damage/stained carpets.

HISTA projection room has the film cabinets rusting out and standing pools of water are constantly everywhere inside...

you may return to your regularly scheduled management mainpulated idea of a theme park...

• =)

A lot of buildings (esp on Main Street) have this nice, clean, sort of metallic, and -- for lack of a better term -- "institutional" fragrance. But there is also a touch of mustiness. Like from an air conditioner. Anyway, I don't think it's intended to be a particularly evocative smell, but I love it.
    Ah, yes. The many musty smells of the park. Love 'em all, despite their likely unintentionalness!

Mohavewolfpup, thank you for caring about the park's cleanliness even when others don't. I've gotta say, I don't think I was smelling stuff from the drains, though. I only smelled this odor while I was on the ramps above the loading station, and it didn't smell like decomposing trash. It was...I don't know. It was bad. I almost want to say...cheesy.

::tries to stop thinking about it::

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast