Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Invasion of the Cartoon Characters or...

how the DLR turned into a giant Toon Town.

Up until Splash Mountain opened in 1989, all the lands outside of Fantasyland were free of attractions based on cartoon characters from movies. Splash Mountain is not a problem IMO, it is a great attraction that was well placed in the park and can be viewed as a large hill in the southern wilderness behind the Haunted Mansion. However, more recent additions have gone too far. Pooh has invaded the lair of the Country Bears, Buzz and Nemo have taken up residence in Tomorrowland and the DCA revival plan seems based on selling plushes of characters. Not to mention, the disastorous refurb of Small World that is currently underway. The three major attractions coming to DCA in the next 5 years: Radiator Springs Racers, Little Mermaid, and Toy Story Mania! are all cartoon based. I realize that cartoon characters shouldn't be left out of DCA completely, but when the first phase of the DCA rehab relies solely on them for the most part, it is cause for concern. Fantasyland and Toontown lose appeal when cartoon characters are seen all over the parks.

Isn't it a little odd that most of the most popular rides are free of cartoon characters?:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Big Thunder Mountain
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Space Mountain
    Haunted Mansion

Disneyland isn't called Toonland, if Walt wanted the whole park to be just toons than he would have had toon based attractions outside of Fantasyland.

• Home on the range

Re: Invasion of the Cartoon Characters or...

I was thinking about that yesterday,what happens down the road when these cartoons get old? I wonder how long will these attractions last?

To me, Splash Mountain contains cartoon characters, but wasn't the beginning of the end for Disneyland. The fact that the cartoon characters were not from current fads and the attraction did more than retell a movie made Splash Mountain thematically permissable. The reason this cartoon-based attraction is as popular as the anchor attractions stated above is that the characters were strong enough to support an attraction that strayed from the movie on which it was based.

It's when this was taken too far (rides that fail to tell a unique story... Tarzan, Pooh, Nemo, Buzz) that cartoon-based attractions began to plague the park.

• Looking for Jessica...

Quote Originally Posted by pammypoo View Post
    I was thinking about that yesterday,what happens down the road when these cartoons get old? I wonder how long will these attractions last?
    Are Snow White, Cinderella, and Pinocchio too old? Is old bad?

.....edit.....

Nevermind... I skimmed the OP rather than actually reading it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pammypoo View Post
    Not to mention that Cars is only a year and a half old. All the Fantasyland dark rides and Splash Mountain have characters out of time-proven classic literature, not just movies.

A Bug's Land already takes up a decent hunk of DCA and Cars Land will take a 1/5 of DCA. Does a land dedicated to one movie ever deserve to take up 1/5 of a Disney park? IMO no. I would have no problem with a time proven franchise like Star Wars or Indiana Jones taking up that much space, but with some newcomer like Cars, you've got to be kidding me.

• Home on the range

Quote Originally Posted by AlbcAlbrr View Post
    No those are classics,I mean the new cartoons,will they have the staying power?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tonythetigerasn View Post
    To me, Splash Mountain contains cartoon characters, but wasn't the beginning of the end for Disneyland. The fact that the cartoon characters were not from current fads and the attraction did more than retell a movie made Splash Mountain thematically permissable. The reason this cartoon-based attraction is as popular as the anchor attractions stated above is that the characters were strong enough to support an attraction that strayed from the movie on which it was based.

It's when this was taken too far (rides that fail to tell a unique story... Tarzan, Pooh, Nemo, Buzz) that cartoon-based attractions began to plague the park.
    I pretty much agree with you. Nemo and Tarzan were shoehorned into old attractions to try to sell more toys. Nemo and Tarzan are the focus of their attractions, not the supporting characters.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbcAlbrr View Post
    There is nothing wrong with old, those three movies you listed are timeless. What I want at DL is more timeless attractions.

• =)

I agree. This is a problem that has the potential to make the experience less enjoyable for parkgoers--but perhaps worse, it has the potential to erode what little credibility adult DL-lovers still have. It's already viewed as a place expressly for kids (despite Walt originally wanting to move away from that trend), and continuing the overcartoonization will make the problem worse.

DCA I'm not all that concerned with. As far as I can tell, that park is in deep trouble, and maybe that's for the best--after all, the worse the park is, the fewer times I have to fork over the big bucks for a park-hopper ticket. ::shrug::

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I agree. This is a problem that has the potential to make the experience less enjoyable for parkgoers--but perhaps worse, it has the potential to erode what little credibility adult DL-lovers still have. It's already viewed as a place expressly for kids (despite Walt originally wanting to move away from that trend), and continuing the overcartoonization will make the problem worse.
    I don't think cartoon is automatically equal to kiddie, but when cartoon based attractions are the majority of what is offered, it makes the park feel much more kiddie.

• missing the DisneyGallery

I guess I don't mind if it fits the theme of the land. What did the Matterhorn have to do with Tomorrowland and the Submarine Voyage for that matter? And if we're going to be sticklers then how about a train from the 1890's having a stop in Tomorrowland?

When attractions were original

• =)

I don't think cartoon is automatically equal to kiddie, but when cartoon based attractions are the majority of what is offered, it makes the park feel much more kiddie.
    Well, when a cartoon isn't in the vein of the Simpsons or Family Guy or South Park, you've got to realize that the majority of people don't perceive it to be a very "adult" thing.

• Minion

Well, when a cartoon isn't in the vein of the Simpsons or Family Guy or South Park, you've got to realize that the majority of people don't perceive it to be a very "adult" thing.
    I realize that.

• Minion

Smile Re: Give 'em what they want! Give 'em what they know

whats interesting to me is that many of my friends associate the cartoonization of Disneyland with lack of imaginativeness on WDI's part. I Disagree with this, Disney has consistently opened an attraction/show/parade since 2005. However, Disney has failed to create something original which is perplexing to me. Rides like Buzz, Nemo are pretty average and when taken out of context are considerably entertaining. What sours the experience is how little the rides relate to the atmosphere or Theme.

I don't understand the method of synergy. If a movie is good then people shouldn't need a ride to remind them to buy a toy. It seems like too much time, money, and energy to put into a franchise. I believe Disney is responding to the publics demand for tangible experiences of our favorite films. How many have dreamed of an Alladin ride or a Beauty and the Beast show, I know at least one person on this broad wants a Fantasia ride. This could be the origin of Disney's decent into crappy synergy and cartoony rides.
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 03-01-2008 at 09:26 PM.

• Minion

sorry to interject but,It's my understanding that when Walt started making Cartoons many thought they were entertaining and many considered them to be a revolutionary "art." By the Time Walt produced Pinocchio the common opinion was a Disney feature was a sophisticated production that appealed to the masses.
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 03-01-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast