Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• is too darn hot.

Re: Disneyland in Excess

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    Would you buy a Selmer Bundy student trombone to play in the LA Phil?
    Different situation. Spending $5000 for a purse doesn't make it hold things any better...
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    You *only* wear Louis Vuitton? Why? There are plenty of quality bags for less money. My girlfriend spent $20 on a nice-looking purse once and has had it for three years.
    I'm not The Red Head, but I also only carry LV bags.

My first reason is *I* love them and have been buying them since the early 1970's.

My second reason is IMO they go with everything, and I hate to change purses to match every pair of shoes I wear.

My third reason is they last a VERY long time. My large Dr bag now costs around $700, I believe. I've only had to purchase 3 since the early 70's. First one lasted 20 years, second 15 years and my newest is only in its 2nd year. The way I see it my bags equal an expense of approx $40 a year for handbags. And that's just for my bags, that I use daily and am rough with. Some of my accessories from LV are well over 20 years old and still in perfect condition.

dsny1mom

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

I enjoy dressing up when I go to the park, but I also keep in mind that I am still going to Disneyland where things can be lost broken or stolen. Wearing an expensive piece of jewelry or designer clothing item? Maybe not the best idea.. but don't complain and holler when it gets messed up or lost.

$5000 tennis bracelet. I bet it was all cubic zirconia and she said that to get attention...
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dsny1mom View Post
    I'm not The Red Head, but I also only carry LV bags.

My first reason is *I* love them and have been buying them since the early 1970's.

My second reason is IMO they go with everything, and I hate to change purses to match every pair of shoes I wear.

My third reason is they last a VERY long time. My large Dr bag now costs around $700, I believe. I've only had to purchase 3 since the early 70's. First one lasted 20 years, second 15 years and my newest is only in its 2nd year. The way I see it my bags equal an expense of approx $40 a year for handbags. And that's just for my bags, that I use daily and am rough with. Some of my accessories from LV are well over 20 years old and still in perfect condition.

dsny1mom
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Different situation. Spending $5000 for a purse doesn't make it hold things any better...
    No one said $5000 handbag, but I guess it does hold things better! (or at least last longer...) I'm a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" with many things.

• "I Break Things"

Went with door #3 because I haven't been around since the 70's and I don't usually care if my backpack matches my shoes. I am not much of a "brand name" or "designer" person. That said I do have one weakness... my boots... I learned early on how quickly the "cheap" boots can become expensive. Because of shoddy workmanship they wear out and you are replacing them constantly. My father warned me about this but I never believed it until I entered the work force and experienced it for myself. So while not $700 (neighborhood of $150 which was a discount at the time) I've had them for 4 years now and still haven't even had them resoled!

That's not to say I do not have expensive or nice things. Most of those articles are gifts or heirlooms because I refuse to pay a lot for things. Thinking about it now I'm not sure if people gave me those things out of pity, or because they never used them either. I have the essentials for an evening dress attire if necessary... but I prefer my T-Shirt, shorts and Converse to anything else (two weaknesses technically, I have loved Converse HiTops since I was a kid). In short I take responsibility for what I wear, and I realize that some places hold a higher risk of losing items then other places.

My tools are also name brand, because the brand I buy comes with a lifetime warranty! As I said sometimes you get what you pay for.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Make it Cool

Some people are proud of their name brand tools, others their handbags or shoes. All I ask is that people develop some sense of personal style and stop wearing the uniform of fat lazy tasteless Americans. It's time to burn your XXXL t-shirts and fanny packs and stop being a stereotype.

• "I Break Things"

Some people are proud of their name brand tools, others their handbags or shoes. All I ask is that people develop some sense of personal style and stop wearing the uniform of fat lazy tasteless Americans. It's time to burn your XXXL t-shirts and fanny packs and stop being a stereotype.
    Oddly I really don't care what people think about my sense of "fashion". Like I said I'm not a "name brand" or "designer" type of person who utilizes a lot of expensive apparel or accessories. I like my Converse, I like my boots, and when things break I have my tools. It's a clash between cheap and quality, depending on what I need and what it is. So that is my "style", not caring what others think and being myself.

Now, to the business at hand. I would hope that this thread serves as a reminder to anyone who frequents the park or is planning a vacation. If you visit there is a chance things could be lost, stolen, or damaged. Please be mindful of that, and realize that it is not Disney's responsibility to immediately recover lost items unless they are considered medically important or time sensitive (prescription medication/glasses, plane tickets).

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    granted its everyones dream to be able to afford such items, but, in a place where such items could be lost or stolen, it makes about as much sense as trying to argue with a brick wall.
    Anywhere you go, you run the risk of losing something or having something stolen. So from now on, nobody should take anything anywhere!

Bracelets fall off every day. The world's an imperfect place. [/Breakfast Club]
    A signature should go here.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Anywhere you go, you run the risk of losing something or having something stolen. So from now on, nobody should take anything anywhere!

Bracelets fall off every day. The world's an imperfect place. [/Breakfast Club]
    COMPLETELY AGREE... but... if an article is lost then who is at fault? Is it the owner of the article that should take responsibility for finding it, or the establishment where they lost it? If the establishment is unable to recover the article should they then be blamed when in reality they didn't loose it to begin with! That was the point. I realize you could loose anything anywhere at any time... but that loss is a direct result of your choice to take that article with you! If you are not willing to possibly part with said item... don't take it!

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    COMPLETELY AGREE... but... if an article is lost then who is at fault? Is it the owner of the article that should take responsibility for finding it, or the establishment where they lost it? If the establishment is unable to recover the article should they then be blamed when in reality they didn't loose it to begin with! That was the point. I realize you could loose anything anywhere at any time... but that loss is a direct result of your choice to take that article with you! If you are not willing to possibly part with said item... don't take it!
    See, I don't really agree with this. I don't think you should go through life in fear of losing anything at any given time as if there were some unseen force acting randomly to relieve you of your valuables or anything else. Just be aware of your surroundings and make responsible descisions, but not ones based on fear. I'm not exactly willing to part with my iPhone, but I'm not going to to not take it with me to Disneyland because I'm afraid that I'm going to do something stupid and lose it.

Establishments such as Disneyland should and do make all REASONABLE efforts to recover lost objects. Self absorbed people who act entitled to more than that are just being foolish and should be placated to a point and then ignored.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mohavewolfpup View Post
    it smacks of AP/self entitlement also, bringing everything to a halt and ruining the fun for someone...

on buzz lightyear yesterday, a young kid of 2-3 suddenly ran up to the loading ramp and then tried to take off up the unloading the area, they stopped the ride, he got retrieved, went to the main console, then ran off again, it got stopped again, kid retrieved, finally the lead took the kid into his office. No parent stepped forward to claim him. still trying to figure it out and why a parent is stupid enough to forget a kid...
    please dont ap bash.

point #1 NOT ALL ANNUAL PASS HOLDERS ARE ****HEADS.
    and point #2 what does a child misbehaving have to do with apholders??????

referring back to owning an annual pass, I am a nice person. I respect everyone: the cast members, the cast leads, everyone in line waiting to board an attraction/ride. I would NEVER act in such a way to prevent another guest from enjoying their stay at disneyland. to tell you the truth, what does having high price belongings on their person have to do with owning an ap??? I have an ap and I am not rich!!!!!

(though a million dollars would be nice.......)

I don't know how old you are but being in my late 50's I tend to agree with you. I remember what casual attire used to mean and how it has been downgraded over the years.

I really don't care what others wear, except that it reinforces that people of other countries look at Americans as sloppy and lazy.

I was raised that when you go outside your home, while it is permissable to be casually dressed it is not pernissable to look like a slob. Casual attire has some how gone from no tie and coat needed to shower shoes, undershirts and long jeans cut off into shorts for men. For women it has gone from dresses and skirts not required to shower shoes, tops that belong in one's bedroom and anywhere from men's boxers to shorts that don't belong anywhere other than one's backyard.

This just isn't about the way many American's dress at DL, either. Getting on an airplane these days is just this side of sitting with people that look like they forgot to change their clothes after they got out of bed!

This also isn't about the cost of one's clothing and accessories. Collared shirts, normal lenth shorts, and shoes that aren't made of rubber and flip flop when you walk, are available at Nieman Marcus AND Walmart.

dsny1mom

• "I Break Things"

See, I don't really agree with this. I don't think you should go through life in fear of losing anything at any given time as if there were some unseen force acting randomly to relieve you of your valuables or anything else. Just be aware of your surroundings and make responsible descisions, but not ones based on fear. I'm not exactly willing to part with my iPhone, but I'm not going to to not take it with me to Disneyland because I'm afraid that I'm going to do something stupid and lose it.

Establishments such as Disneyland should and do make all REASONABLE efforts to recover lost objects. Self absorbed people who act entitled to more than that are just being foolish and should be placated to a point and then ignored.
    Not so much living in fear as having common sense. If I have a silver pocket watch made in 1872 (as it happens I do... great great grandaddy's) I will most likely take it to a black tie affair. It compliments the attire. I will most likely take it to a wedding, again it compliments the outfit. I might even take it to an opera depending on the dress code. HOWEVER I will not be taking it specifically to a restaurant, or to the movies, or to Disneyland... why?... because to me it is extremely valuable and is only brought out on special occasions. I minimize the risk of loosing it by being selective as to where I take it, and by being extremely cautious when I have it with me. That's not being scared of my surroundings... it's common sense.

• "I Break Things"

I don't know how old you are but being in my late 50's I tend to agree with you. I remember what casual attire used to mean and how it has been downgraded over the years.

I really don't care what others wear, except that it reinforces that people of other countries look at Americans as sloppy and lazy.

I was raised that when you go outside your home, while it is permissable to be casually dressed it is not pernissable to look like a slob. Casual attire has some how gone from no tie and coat needed to shower shoes, undershirts and long jeans cut off into shorts for men. For women it has gone from dresses and skirts not required to shower shoes, tops that belong in one's bedroom and anywhere from men's boxers to shorts that don't belong anywhere other than one's backyard.

This just isn't about the way many American's dress at DL, either. Getting on an airplane these days is just this side of sitting with people that look like they forgot to change their clothes after they got out of bed!

This also isn't about the cost of one's clothing and accessories. Collared shirts, normal lenth shorts, and shoes that aren't made of rubber and flip flop when you walk, are available at Nieman Marcus AND Walmart.

dsny1mom
    Society as a whole has changed. Many of the fashions you cite can be found world wide. It isn't just an "American" phenomenon, it is world wide. As to the "Americans are lazy" look at our food consumption, weight, and unwillingness to learn about culture as the culprit of that reputation. One very annoying thing is that a lot of tourists can not get past the "I'm an American" sense of self entitlement.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Society as a whole has changed. Many of the fashions you cite can be found world wide. It isn't just an "American" phenomenon, it is world wide. As to the "Americans are lazy" look at our food consumption, weight, and unwillingness to learn about culture as the culprit of that reputation. One very annoying thing is that a lot of tourists can not get past the "I'm an American" sense of self entitlement.
    Meh. Price of freedom.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast