Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ed Grier speaking at Chapman Univ.

Hi there,
    I wasn't sure where to post this... but I thought it was kinda interesting.. so if you live in the area, this might be something you want to RSVP for =)

CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY presents:

Argyros School of Business and Economics Distinguished Speaker Series:
    Ed Grier, President, The Disneyland Resort
    5:30 p.m. March 13

Bush Conference Center, Beckman Hall 404

Ed Grier, a Disney veteran who oversaw the company's operations of Tokyo Disney Resort, was named President of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim in July 2006. At Walt Disney Attractions Japan, he oversaw the Disney operations for the two-park Tokyo Disney Resort and managed the day-to-day relationship with the Oriental Land Company, which operates the resort as a licensee. During his tenure in Japan, Grier was instrumental in the overall master planning of the Resort, leading the Disney team that was responsible for the addition of new attractions and entertainment spectaculars, as well as a new Cirque theatre and new Disney-branded hotel, both of which are expected to open in 2008. In addition, Grier implemented best practices from Disney destinations around the world for guest service standards, and resort and financial operations. Prior to his experience in Japan, Grier held executive positions at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort Paris in France. Grier served as general manager of Walt Disney World's Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios. In these positions, Grier oversaw park operations, led thousands of cast members and was responsible for the financial and operational performance of the parks. Admission is free, but RSVP is required – please RSVP online at http://www.chapman.edu/argyros/rsvp. More information: x6077 or [email protected].
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 03-07-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Link re-added.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Ed Grier speaking at Chapman Univ.

Can I be a plant?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by luvtdl View Post
    In addition, Grier implemented best practices from Disney destinations around the world for guest service standards, and resort and financial operations.
    So, following best practices from the Cruise line, all DL guests must know where their assigned life jacket is, prior to entering the park.

Point being: I hate "best practices" when they're not really the best.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Will he be working without a hand in his back ?

"During his tenure in Japan.... Grier implemented best practices from Disney destinations around the world for guest service standards"

BWAHAHAHA! Oh, gosh, that kills me!

So let me get this straight... Ed Grier tried to tell the Japanese how to provide good customer service? And he has the gall (or stupidity) to let a speechwriter put that in his public corporate biography?

I've been to Japan, and Tokyo Disneyland, before Ed Grier ever got there. Having an American executive try to tell the Japanese what their customer service standards should be is like having a plumber tell a wedding coordinator where to seat the mother of the bride. And at Tokyo Disneyland of all places, where they have been beating us at our own game for several decades now! I'm embarassed for Mr. Grier.

I can not believe Mr. Grier let that kind of bluster and psychobabble be placed in his public biography that is released before he gives a speech off Disney property. Someone needs to tone down the rhetoric and propaganda quite a bit ASAP, lest Mr. Grier make a fool of himself again.

• "I Break Things"

So basically they will be graced by the same "scripted, always needs a camera when he says anything, never onstage" Ed Grier that all the CM's have heard about but only rarely seen. He's like Bigfoot, everyone claims to see him onstage but the only "proof" is blurs of someone running offstage.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Rock Star Minion

From what I've read, Tokyo Disneyland has standards required as dictated by the license agreement between DIS and the OLC. These are likely best practices for a Disney theme park, but I'm not sure if any Disney-owned park actually uses them.

• Shubisha

grr i have to work at 7

• A Weather Eye Open

HEEEEEY, this is my school! And I might actually be able to go without being too late for ceramics!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

So...could I "theoretically" go ask some tough questions as a guest at this thing and not have to ID myself as a CM? Bwahahaha indeed!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

.. so if you live in the area, this might be something you want to RSVP for =)
    Folks, this activity is for students at this school. It is set up so the students at Chapman can learn from a prominent Orange County business person, and is not set up to be another gathering of Disney fans. This George Bush Conference Center at Chapman has room for 100 people, and I implore you, please do not attend this event and take opportunity away from those who are intended to benefit.

The original poster has put up a private email, and this is not a public event that you should be RSVP'ing to. I urge moderators, please take this thread down, as it is not referring to a public event.
    Last edited by dl1955pounds; 03-06-2008 at 10:42 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

I think the point many here are trying to make is that the students of Chapman won't learn much from Senator Ed.
    And, since I wouldn't learn anything, I don't think I'll be attending, either.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by dl1955pounds View Post
    I urge moderators, please take this thread down, as it is not referring to a public event.
    I'd like to urge some competent webmasters to require a students-only login if this is the case. There's nothing on the registration form/page indicating that this is for students-only. In fact, one of the options when registering is "Perspective Student".

I've removed the link at request, but searching around their website, you can find it quite easily. This is very relevant to discussion.

I find it VERY disappointing in Ed, that he's going out of his way to do this. Especially considering that the shareholders/CMs/fans have heard nothing more than a peep from him since he was hired. I'd love to see how he'll do without Daddy Rasulo in his ear. $10 says he doesn't say anything relevant to his current position.
    -Monorail Man

I'd say good for Chapmen at getting a prominent figure to do a speech. This sort of thing is common, and I don't see what the outrage is.

Nice, You know Iger is speaking this year for USC's graduation ceremony too right? =/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast