Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

DL and DCA: what's a good plan of attack for one day?

Micechatters -

I am going to Disneyland in 2 weeks and would like opinions for a good one day plan of attack for both parks. This is my first trip in 15 years, so there are a few rides I have never been on, but I am not planning this trip around myself but around a couple of friends who are visiting from Japan.

This will be their first and perhaps only visit to Disneyland, so I wanted to show them the rides that are either not in Japan, or are in Japan but significantly different enough to warrent visiting.

So I want to take them to both parks, since they may never see either one again. We are going on March 17th, a Monday in case it is important.

With this line of reasoning, here is my current plan:

Get there early and hit Fantasyland: ride Mr. Toad, Alice, and Peter Pan. Then do Matterhorn. I was thinking about Finding Nemo subs, but I keep reading negative reviews, so maybe we will skip it if the line is too long.

Maybe get Pirates and/or Haunted Mansion, depending on the lines.

I figure it will be mid-afternoon around this time, so then head over to DCA and do Screamin and Grizzly Water. Maybe Tower or Soarin depending on the lines. Would love to do the Aladdin show, but I don't know if it is still going on.

Go back to DL and try to get Splash Mountain, Indy and Space Mountain. Should be late evening by this point. I think there is a show (Fantasmic?) that would be worth watching, so getting a place early would be good.

Anyways, since it's been awhile since I have been, my timeline may be all messed up and perhaps I should schedule fewer rides.

So I would love suggestions on non-duplicate rides between Japan and Disneyland, and the duplicates that are different enough to warrent riding... and a reasonable timeline for getting both parks in on the same day.

Thanks a million.

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 03-05-2008 at 11:35 PM.

• or CBF

Re: DL and DCA: what's a good plan of attack for one day?

Fastpass is your friend. Get as many as possible if you want to get on most of the major rides. Two weeks from today puts you there Easter week so the parks are definitely going to be packed as most of the kiddies are out of school for Spring Break.

Tower of Terror is a must-see as Japan's is has a totally different storyline. Soarin' is amazing. Indiana Jones is a must at DL, just a tad different than the one at DisneySea.

• Banned User

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Maybe we will also fast pass Roger Rabbit since I have never been on it, but it seems like the ride is the same in Japan, so maybe we will skip it.

Is Turtle Talk with Crush worth going to? That's another non-duplicate that might be worth a look. My main concern is time, since getting both parks in will be a challenge.

- Anatole

• Minion

Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck on Aladdin, the schedule says it's not playing that day. Turtle talk is cute show and it's short so if you time it right it won't take that long. If you really want to go on the subs I would do that last at the end of the day. IMO Fantasmic is really good but you'd probably want to go to the second show, it's easier to get a better spot. Have fun!

• Banned User

No Aladdin? That's too bad. It's supposed to be really good.

Thanks for the tip on the subs. I am wondering if it is worth it. I may try to find a video of the ride on Youtube so I can see if it is any good... I keep hearing mixed reviews. :/

- Anatole

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Anatole69, there are a lot of attractions in Tokyo superior to our own, but don't let that get in the way because some rides (like space mountain and big thunder) are different enough to make riding worth while.

I think instead of finding out what rides Disneyland has that Tokyo doesn't, it'd be easier to find out what attractions Tokyo has that are the same or similar.

Common attractions found in both parks:

-Pirates of the Caribbean
    -Jungle Cruise
    -Enchanted Tiki Room
    -Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    -Splash Mountain
    -Canoes
    -Peter Pan's Flight
    -Snow White's Adventures
    -Pinocchio's Daring Journey
    -Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    -Carrousel
    -Haunted Mansion
    -It's a Small World
    -Mad Tea Party
    -Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
    -Gadget's Go Coaster
    -Star Tours
    -Space Mountain
    -Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    -Honey, I Shrunk the Audience (Microadventure!)
    -Star Jets
    -Autopia (Grand Circuit Raceway)

-Indiana Jones (Crystal Skull in japan)
    -Jumpin' Jellyfish
    -Tower of Terror (different enough)

Again, there are some differences in many of those attractions that warrant a visit regardless of if found in Japan. Going on the original Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Splash, Indiana Jones, etc etc.... it might be worth it to see how they like them.

Hope that helps!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Animatronic

Not in Japan, that's hard. I think the train going around the whole park, through Splash, and past the Dinosaurs might be interesting and certainly different than Japan. The Haunted Mansion being part of New Orleans is unique to California. Snow White's wishing well and the statues that were gifts to Walt are unique as is the whole treatment for Fantasyland. And Indy, of course, is unique.

In California Adventure, Soarin' and Tower.

If you want them to leave very happy they live in Japan, you could take them on the Pooh ride.

• Banned User

Yeah if I could I would just go on everything, but it will probably be busy that day, and I want to get both parks in, so I think I will have to make some choices.

IASW will be closed, so that's a no go. Some of those rides are not as good here (Snow White and Buzz) so we can pass on those too.

Splash, Indy and Space are just different enough to do... maybe Tiki room depending on whether they want to visit it.

Does anyone know how different Jungle Cruise is between the two parks? That's the only one I'm not sure about whether they are different enough to visit.

Too bad it won't be a slow day... then we could just go on everything. lol.

- Anatole

• Banned User

Ha ha... I know this will sound evil, but even though they have the better Pooh ride, I have seen the video of the Disneyland version on Youtube and actually enjoyed the ride. The only reason for me to hate on it is because it replaced Country Bear Jamboree... which is reason enough in my book. I loved that attraction.

Yeah I think Pirates and Haunted will be doable because the line rides tend to move pretty quickly.

I hadn't even thought of the train ride! I will consider that too.

- Anatole

• Banned User

Also in DCA since Grizzly River Rapids has a stand alone fast pass, I'm thinking we can add that in. Especially if it's a warm day!

- Anatole

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anatole69 View Post
    Also in DCA since Grizzly River Rapids has a stand alone fast pass, I'm thinking we can add that in. Especially if it's a warm day!

- Anatole

Grizzly does have fast pass but if you can suffer the colder temperatures of the evening, you'll be able to walk right on.

And there are FREE lockers to the side that you can use for an hour.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Don't worry about the lines for HM & POTC, they are both normally very managable based on how they get so many bodies on the ride. Getting on Fantasyland rides early is a great idea.

Frankly other than Soarin' & Tower of Terror, I don't see anything else at DCA as a MUST do.

Have fun and good luck!

• Rock Star Minion

Not sure if Fantasmic! will play on a Monday. What are the hours that day?

Also, lots of Irish in the park that day. They should wear green, else they'll get pinched.

Definitely use the singles lane for Sreamin'. Yeah, you don't get to sit next to your friends, but that beats 30 minutes of waiting.

Oh, and regardless of whether you hit all the unique attractions or not, you'll be in DL with friends that you probably haven't seen in a while. Win-win, IMO.
    Last edited by sediment; 03-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Splash Mountain Lover

I've done a few "one dayers" in my time.

Go to Disneyland first, get a fast pass for Indiana, and go to Fantasyland and do those rides and Matterhorn. Every time I have been going, Nemo line is way too long for me. I am not the most patient person in the world and I have been spoiled by fastpass and a 45 minute line is too long for me. Last time I went, instead of Nemo, I hit Matterhorn and Fantasyland rides.
    Go on Thunder, Haunted, and Pirates. Around lunch time go over to DCA and hit the rides there.
    And do my favorite, have a bread bowl at Pacific Wharf Cafe.
    Go back to DL in the afternoon and spend the rest of the time there.

That is what I would do.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Don't worry about the lines for HM & POTC, they are both normally very managable based on how they get so many bodies on the ride. Getting on Fantasyland rides early is a great idea.
    Getting on Fantasyland rides super super late is also a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast