Page 1 of 61 12341151 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

Save the Rainforest.

The Re-Imagineering blog has picked up on Al Lutz's news of "it's a small world's" changes, and like many of us, the folks at Re-Imagineering are not happy.

Re-Imagineering makes strong points as to why the attraction should not be changed:
    The insertion of Disney characters into this classic E-ticket is troubling enough. “It’s a Small World” may be a color and design masterpiece but more importantly the show’s simple message of shared humanity using children of the world and their innate innocence as the metaphor makes it a cultural touchstone and a casebook example of uncluttered visual storytelling. Cute as they may be, Belle, Mickey, Stitch or Nemo have nothing to do with selling the core values of UNICEF, the show’s original partner. Their appearance not only trivializes the central theme but more disturbingly seems to emphasize global brand marketing and franchising above all else.

. . .

And when the rainforest goes, it goes for good, replaced with a group of sets never intended for American audiences from the show’s very inception. In consciously excluding a large scale U.S.A.-land from It’s a Small World (a lone cowboy and indian in the finale was just enough), the original show writers were asking American audiences to step away from their own national consciousness and take stock in the wider world around them. It’s a Small World was never about nationalistic fervor. It was about finding our common humanity outside our own borders.

Re-Imagineering closes the article with a call to action.

So what to do? Do you treasure this iconic classic as it is? Do you value the integrity and artistic vision of the Disney Legends who created Disneyland?

It's time to write. It's time to take a stand. We've already seen Jack Sparrow take over the Frontier. We've seen Walt Disney's name exploited in favor of closing a unique-to-Disneyland attraction in for an over-glorified hotel room. We've seen the World of Tomorrow sit in the past for a decade.

As those at Re-Imagineering said: Disneyland is your land. Don't let this happen.

C A L L
    Disneyland Resort Public Relations: (714) 781-4500

W R I T E
    Walt Disney Company
    Attn: Robert Iger
    500 S. Buena Vista St.
    Burbank, CA 91521-9722

Walt Disney Imagineering
    Attn: Tony Baxter
    1401 Flower Street
    P.O. Box 25020
    Glendale, CA 91221-502

Disneyland Resort
    Attn: Ed Grier
    1313 South Harbor Blvd.
    Anaheim , CA 92802

E - M A I L
    Disneyland Resort - http://www.disneyland.com/contact

D O
    Write to Disney. Call them. Make t-shirts and wear them to the parks. If you see an Imagineer or a suit in the park, talk to them. Show your support online by using one of the images used in this thread. Make it known that the classics should be taken care of, not re-invented.

Put this code in your signature at message boards you frequent -

PHP Code:
    [URL="http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/save_rainforest_keep_its_small-91695.html"]
    [
    IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2205/2313636927_7bc04369cb_m.jpg[/IMG]
    [/URL

“It’s a Small World” is a work of art. Those fortunate enough to be the caretakers of a masterpiece are more than welcome to try on a new frame once in a while, to carefully restore its surface, switch out the lighting or even move the piece to another room.

But even the most fool-hardy owner knows not to paint over the original canvas.
    - RE-IMAGINEERING

New campaign web site:
    savethesmallworld.com

Last edited by MasterGracey; 04-01-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• is too darn hot.

Re: Save the Rainforest - Keep "it's a small world" a classic.

Thank you for this post, MasterGracey! I hope we can do something to help keep this classic as it is.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• 11/7/08 Fantasmic Returns

Funny to think that the minds at Disney can be changed by a group of hard core Disney fanatics that probably make up way less than 1% of that parks attendance. Online pettitions, blogs, and emails wont do anything.

Does anyone actually think that Disney would stop whatever changes they are making right in the middle of the project, and reverse course? These changes have been planned for a long time, and for them to now change would surely mean they wouldnt be able to reopen the ride for the holidays.

Sorry to bring reality to this situation, but whats done, is done. If the general public finds the new version of the ride to be crap, then they will stop riding it. At that point when the turnstyle clicks plumment, then they will change. Think of it like Pirates Lair, most every hard core Disney fan on this site hates what they did, but if you look at the numbers, that island is as popular as ever.
    ....You think your so powerful? Well this is my dream....

• "I Break Things"

While I always welcome new info MG I believe there is already an extensive post dedicated to this subject.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

::shrug:: I'll do what I can, but I'm still having a hard time getting enormously worked up about this. I get it...but...it's IASW. It's not an attraction that very many people above a certain age can take seriously, despite the good intentions of its message and the careful thought that went into its visual style. It's kind of like finding out that the world's most revered piece of modern art was going to be completely retooled. Would I understand the anger of the piece's fans? Yes...but I really wouldn't care about it personally. (Yes, I understand that modernism is in no way similar to Mary Blair's visual style. Wasn't trying to draw a parallel that deep.)

Anyway, like I said, I'll do what I can. Kinda doubtful that things will change, though. Er, not change.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

It should be noted that dissenting opinion is a great catalyst for change. Will it affect Disney's decision to keep IASW as it is? Who knows? A movement is only as big as its voice. The louder a voice becomes, the harder it is to ignore.

While it does appear unlikely that a 'Save the Rainforest' will accomplish just that, what little chance it does have is destroyed if no one says a thing. Does Disney consider 'extremist' views and opinions? Not as much as they used to, if indeed they ever did (if recent Park offerings are an accurate indicator). But in defense of 'extremism' I offer the old argument: even the 'moderate' pig lost his home to the Big Bad Wolf.

Good posting, MG--thanks!

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    ::shrug:: I'll do what I can, but I'm still having a hard time getting enormously worked up about this. I get it...but...it's IASW.
    Agreed...It's a big stink over nothing.

• Minion

Has anybody seen the mentioned concept art?

• a wind to shake the stars

I'm going to write Disney a letter telling them how excited I am about the upcoming changes to IaSW

And can someone explain to me how putting in an American scene, which I'm 100% sure will fit visually with the rest of the ride (meaning happy, smiling dolls) is "nationalistic fervor"? I'd usually reserve the phrase "nationalist fervor" for things with a little more gravity than dolls at a theme park but hey, that's me.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I just sent an email.

What do you all think of an protest in the Esplanade?? Might sound corny.....

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    What do you all think of an protest in the Esplanade?? Might sound corny.....
    It will sound corny for about 30 seconds until Disney security comes over and politely tells you to leave.

• Hiding in the shadows

Thanks for the Post MG, I wonder how far along in the design stage they are to be able to have such a movement actually have an impact, but its still a nice gesture for those of use that are not happy about the changes.

A little piece of heaven

• Lowering Expectations

At the bottom of the Contact Us page at disneyland.com, it says:

NOTICE: We are pleased to hear from our Guests and welcome your questions. However, be advised that our company policy does not allow us to accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions, or materials other than those that we have specifically requested.

So they'll only hear what they WANT to hear??

Does this mean an email to the official site with the purpose of saving Small World would be a waste of time?

What about over the phone with Public Relations? Are they "allowed" to respond to this? I have a feeling they would tell me they have no idea what I'm talking about and then ask me if I've heard of the YoaMD.

I'm still going to try it, mind you, but I don't know how much good it will do. It seems MUCH more worth my time to write a well thought out letter to people who matter - Tony Baxter, Ed Grier, Robert Iger, etc. Or at least their secretaries.

MG, will you make a "Save the Rain Forest" banner for my sig?
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 03-06-2008 at 12:04 PM.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

It's a standard disclaimer. If they don't take your ideas, they can't be accused of plagiarizing them.

Page 1 of 61 12341151 ... LastLast