Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Disney and Interactivity - many questions.

While the commitment to 'interactivity' at DL remains, IMO, it has shifted its focus. Targets of engagement seems to be the primary difference between past 'interactivity' and recent attempts at it.

Interactivity can either engage the mind and imagination; or the raw animal senses. The latter seems to be the path of choice for the recent (and upcoming) additions to the Park.

The 'shoot-em up' style of Buzz (and possibly Midway Mania) offer little to the imagination. The attraction's appeal appears to lie in catering to the animal reflexes in us all. Once you leave the attraction, all you really can remember about it is your score.

Other forms of 'interaction' as noted in the original post appeal to more than just instinct and reflex--they appeal to imagination. The Swiss Family Treehouse was one such attraction. The Indiana Jones Adventure is another. Many interactive elements on PLOTSI are well-done, and have much to offer both the imagination and the physical sensation (however, it should be noted that PLOTSI is really just a glorified playground for kids, so its attempts at creative physical and mental interactivity should come as no surprise).

When we view 'interactivity' in its different forms at DL, it seems clear that attractions that offer little to the imagination have a far less chance of entertaining guests for longer durations than ones that engage both the creative and the physical senses.

There is nothing 'wrong' with having shoot-em ups like Buzz, or Midway Mania; but I would hate to see an entire Park full of 'em. With Disney's new fascination with digital projections and video effects, we may see a shift in the proportion of these different forms of 'interactivity'--possibly a shift in a less 'engaging' direction.

• =)

You made me think of another major problem with WDI's latest fling with "interactivity", swab. Video screens and their kin...ugh. They have very legitimate uses. But they are what they are. It's very, very difficult to make them feel real unless they're handled just right. I'm really scared that Toy Story Mania is just going to feel like a ride through a bunch of computer screens. 3D interactive high-tech Imagineered computer screens, yes...but computer screens nonetheless. I sit in front of a computer for a significant amount of time in my everyday life. I do NOT come to Disneyland so I can do it some more. Furthermore, a big part of sitting in front of that computer screen in real life is my choice--and I still don't want to deal with too many of them in the park.

AAs, physical sets, real actors, physical props, practical special effects...these all have an undeniable sense of reality to them. They may introduce more limitations than CG animation and so forth, but the end result is often still superior.

I've got to say, it's going to be fascinating to see what Disneyland's like in fifty years from now. I'm remaining optimistic, even if it doesn't sound that way.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    ...Interactivity can either engage the mind and imagination; or the raw animal senses. The latter seems to be the path of choice for the recent (and upcoming) additions to the Park...
    This is an interesting distinction and I think you're onto something here. It's the difference between Six Flags and Disneyland. Six Flags gives you a series of adrenaline pumping rides with the veneer of theme, where as Disneyland (increasingly Disneyland of the past!) immerses the guest in imagination. There's something for the senses that engages your mind. Instead of just a thrill that engages your fight or flight reflex.

Many people experience this, but many people don't understand it. Little wonder a lot of people don't understand the call to arms regarding theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    You made me think of another major problem with WDI's latest fling with "interactivity", swab. Video screens and their kin...ugh. They have very legitimate uses. But they are what they are. It's very, very difficult to make them feel real unless they're handled just right. I'm really scared that Toy Story Mania is just going to feel like a ride through a bunch of computer screens. 3D interactive high-tech Imagineered computer screens, yes...but computer screens nonetheless...
    From what I've seen of the construction sneak peeks made available from Disney I tend to join you in your concerns. The area really does look like an omnimover ride past a lot f giant video screens. With the occasional bit of theme to fill in the gaps. I'm not seeing much potential for something that engages the mind here.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• =)

From what I've seen of the construction sneak peeks made available from Disney I tend to join you in your concerns. The area really does look like an omnimover ride past a lot f giant video screens. With the occasional bit of theme to fill in the gaps. I'm not seeing much potential for something that engages the mind here.
    Yeah...I mean, the people who've been working on it seem enthusiastic enough about it, and I've been trying to give it the benefit of the doubt. I will admit, though--and I wish I could tell you specifics--that when I asked someone involved in the project how they were going to resolve a TMM issue I'd been worrying about, the response was not terribly encouraging.

• Fleeting Inspiration

I agree with a lot that has been said in this thread. For me, besides the 2D scenery and story problems with Buzz, I feel like the gameplay itself is just a missed opportunity. When you hit the targets, sure your score goes up, but that's it really. Wouldn't it be much more fun and satisfying if some things at least actually reacted to being hit? There could be all types of cool things that could happen, smoke, light effects, sounds, maybe it could cause new targets to pop up or something like bonus elements. As animagusurreal and goofy daddy suggested, have things that shoot back and cause your vehicle to go berserk for a few seconds. There are so many things they could've done, but they opted for a simple and non immersive format.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

I suppose that we'll have to wait and see if Midway Mania is a true plus on BLAB or if 3D video screens are worse immersion than painted flat targets.

More questions!:
    Is there any kinds of interactivity that used to be in the Park, that's since moved to Yesterland, that you miss?

Is there any kinds of interactivity that do exist in the Park that you think shouldn't be there?

Are WDI right? is virtual screen interaction the way to go? Or should they move back to what Disney is known for, AAs and CM based interaction?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12