Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs down PPP...it just didn't grab me!

I was able to see the first preview performance of the Pixar Play Parade (PPP) yesterday and to be honest, I was rather underwhelmed by the over all show.

The only good thing about this parade that I enjoyed was that it was very colorful and the floats were impressive. I even thought the water effects were a nice added touch, but not sure how well it will go over with a lot of the guests. It was fun seeing ALL the Pixar characters together in one parade, but other than that, two thumbs down for me.

My major complaint about this parade was that it lacked dancers! But given that the dancing itself was un-impressive to me, I suppose it was probably for the best. But still, it just seemed to look more like a huge parade of Pixar characters walking down the street or staged on big, colorful floats.

I never thought I'd say this, but POD is actually better now than PPP. Which isn't saying much, because I always felt from day one that POD lacked dancers too. Perhaps I'm from the *old school* when Disney focused on LOTS of dancers (boys and girls) and made them a very integral part of the parade.

And then there was the music of the PPP. It had a catchy tune, I suppose. But it just didn't do much for me. It either seemed too loud and/or too repetitious. And maybe that's why the dancing looked off when the few dancers they had were trying to move to the music. And I learned that Disney decided to cancel all the show stops now, so it's just going to be a moving parade from start to finish. Very sad, indeed!

Over all, I just didn't get this parade and it didn't grab me at all. I knew Disney would have a tough time trying to out-do BPB...now that parade had it all and in my opinion was far much better than PPP. Granted, the PPP was only a preview and the very first one they did, and I'm sure they'll be tweaking it some. But unless they add more dancers and change the music, it won't do anything for me. And the consensus I was hearing from those around me watching the parade too was not good.

I'll be seeing this parade off and on, I'm sure. Just so I can give it a fair shot and see if any changes will be made. But if anyone else saw this new parade yet, I welcome your thoughts and opinions on it.
    Last edited by DisneyFunGuy; 03-11-2008 at 04:58 AM.

• Tower of Tower Nut

Re: PPP...it just didn't grab me!

OH NO!

I loved BPB so much and I have such high hopes for PPP. I understand that anyone standing anywhere near the parade route will get wet? did that happen when you saw it yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by TOTnut View Post
    OH NO!

I loved BPB so much and I have such high hopes for PPP. I understand that anyone standing anywhere near the parade route will get wet? did that happen when you saw it yesterday?
    Yes, I did. Infact, I eventually had to stand pretty far back just so I would stop getting wet.

• Yo!

I don't think we know for sure that the show stops were cut. I've heard everything from they were cut completely, to they won't be performed during previews, to they will only be performed in the "winter" months, to they'll only be performed in the rain (that one I admit is a little odd, but it popped up nonetheless). I think it's just best to wait and see what happens on Friday.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
    And I learned that Disney decided to cancel all the show stops now, so it's just going to be a moving parade from start to finish. Very sad, indeed![/B]
    This is the best news! No cloggoing the walkways. Just a huge parade that passes by and then clears up the walkway to let people pass through. With POD try walking from the eastside to the west or vice versa. Dueing the parade this is an impossible if not difficult task -- especially for those who may not be familiar with the park.

• Earth Intruder

I'm glad they did away with show stops also. It just makes the parade artificially longer, instead of having more actual things to see. I don't remember the show stops being a thing in any Disney parade until the last few years... (did Lion King Parade, Mulan, Hercules, etc. have show stops?)

I'll wait to reserve judgment on the PPP until I see it. From the photos, the floats really are impressive. What music ARE they using? Frankly, I was not impressed with Block Party Bash soundtrack -- it was all bar-mitzvah music. All they needed was the Time Warp and Hava Negilah. Frankly, I didn't like the floats or anything for BPB so hopefully PPP is better.

The getting wet thing is dangerous. People don't want to get squirted with water and so they try to move quickly in the crowd to avoid it. Every float squirting foam and water at the audience is obnoxious -- though of course, if it's 100 degrees out this summer it may be a big hit
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

[quote=Chernabog;2625908]I'm glad they did away with show stops also. It just makes the parade artificially longer, instead of having more actual things to see. I don't remember the show stops being a thing in any Disney parade until the last few years... (did Lion King Parade, Mulan, Hercules, etc. have show stops?)

The Lion King Celebration Parade did have a show stop, and it was great! Infact, that parade was awesome, I loved it! And I don't mind show stops if they're done correctly and it seems to warrant them. Perhaps if PPP had show stops, it would be a better parade. But without them, it just seems boring to me.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I forgot to mention that I am surprised that they shoot water at people. Its not getting wet that is the problem, its getting the walkways wet. If anyone is familiar with DCA the pavement around the parade route is very smooth. If you have ever been there in the rain it can be very slippery. I'm surprised the lawyers let them get away with this aspect of the show!

The show stops were not ready fo guest comsuption yet, so they have been cut until the PPP show director is happy with them. Once the cast knows the choreagraphy well enough, they will start doing show stops.

Te difference between summer and winter for this parade will be water is only supposed to be used when it's warm out and bubble when it's cold. Although bubbles make the ground even more slippery than water, I feel sorry for the guys on the jumping stilts.

• Minion

ORWEN: I think it would be better if they shot bubbles--like in Lawrence Welk and his Champaign music TV show--instead of spraying water. I mean, don't they realize that SOME witches watching the parade might MELT as a result?!?!

• Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    The show stops were not ready fo guest comsuption yet, so they have been cut until the PPP show director is happy with them. Once the cast knows the choreagraphy well enough, they will start doing show stops.
    Guest consumption??
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Shubisha

Most everybody's criticism of the water seems to be how they think other people will like it...

From the parade's point of view everybody seemed to be having a nice time and everybody they squirted was enjoying themselves.

If you don't want to get wet plan accordingly

• "I Break Things"

You know ever since that halftime show a few years back people have really felt the need for more interactive entertainment that really grabs you!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• ..but you can call me Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: I mean, don't they realize that SOME witches watching the parade might MELT as a result?!?!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by TOTnut View Post
    OH NO!

Which will be popular during the summer heat.... but not so much during the fall.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast