Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Nice cleaning job at DCA

Since we see so many examples of bad upkeep at the parks, just thought I would pass on a good one. We were in DCA waiting for the Sunday meet (which of course we missed cause we didn't check the time, thinking we had plenty of time - aaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhh ), and this guy on a bench near to Golden Dreams was on his cell phone. Well, I guess the snotty tissue he had was too much for him to take to the trash can, so of course he drops it on the ground. I really hate that. Well, this is no exaggeration, but it was only on the ground for about 45 seconds before a CM whisked it away. I wanted to get his name, but he was off tending to other trashy folks.

Great job, unnamed CM - thanks for keeping the parks clean for us!
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• That's Hawt

Re: Nice cleaning job at DCA

Yay Janitorial CM's ... YOU ROCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Theyare awesome! I was waiting for me husband to come off of Soarin' on Saturday, and my princess dropped her full bucket of popcorn. It was less than a minute before the nice lady came and swept it up, and told us to go get more! (which I did) She was AWESOME!!

• California Adventurer

Happily inside Disney California Adventure ... or at the nearest theme park I can find.

Good observation, NemoZorro! You're right. Custodial Cast Members deserve a lot of credit (and more pay) for keeping the parks clean, constantly being on the lookout, and making the place more enjoyable while we're there.

I saw the opposite this past weekend at Six Flags Magic Mountain, where they probably need to hire more custodial staff. SFMM has some thrilling coasters, but I observed a lot of over-flowing trash bins, littered ride queues, dirty tables, wet-floored restrooms, sticky floors, etc.

to Disney's Custodial Cast Members!
    Yes, I do LOVE Disney California Adventure. Disneyland is not so bad either ;-)

See my photography regularly in MiceChat's "In The Parks" updates, published each Friday.
    Follow my theme-park adventures on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ThemeParkTimes

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Gotta love day custodial (I used to be one) The area you get assigned to is usually pretty small, so its easy to keep on top of messes. Its really one of the best hourly jobs in the park because you get so much guest interaction and so many chances to make a positive impact on someone's day. I used to get stopped and thanked a lot by guests, they would tell me "I love coming here because its so clean, you guys do a great job" to which I would wittily remark "Thanks! It's all me, those other guys help a little"

So yes, be kind to your neighborhood sweepers, especially at DCA- it can be VERY boring work and nice guests keep them going.
    Last edited by dramaqueen; 08-08-2005 at 10:02 AM.

• OM NOM NOM

The Custodial Cast Members have one of the most unforgiving jobs at the resort. However, they are some of the nicest CMs around, and are always there to help if you need an extra CM hand.

Has anyone else seen them playing games with the kids before DCA parades? I've seen them have kids kick a ball into a trash can in Paradise Pier. They also have kids race to "Recycle", picking up sand-filled water bottles with "The Claw" and depositing them in trash bins. And best of all, the participants get a sticker!
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara
    The Custodial Cast Members have one of the most unforgiving jobs at the resort. However, they are some of the nicest CMs around, and are always there to help if you need an extra CM hand.

Has anyone else seen them playing games with the kids before DCA parades? I've seen them have kids kick a ball into a trash can in Paradise Pier. They also have kids race to "Recycle", picking up sand-filled water bottles with "The Claw" and depositing them in trash bins. And best of all, the participants get a sticker!
    No, but that sounds awesome. What a neat way to make guests have a better day while keeping your job fun at the same time. Also, in one of the bathrooms, I thanked a CM for the fact that I have NEVER seen a paper towel dispenser in any Disney park empty. His smile said it all - I know he isn't responsible for every good bathroom towel incident I have had, but I just wanted him to know that someone actually does notice and care.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Do you MiceChat?

• That Guy

NemoZorro,

Thanks for this thread, and your observations. Hats off to all CMs who have a less then glamorous job, but they make our trips very special.

Thanks!!!

• Sock Puppet

Wow, I don't understand people who think they can litter like that!

It's always great to hear positive stories about DCA, particularly when it comes to clean up! I agree the custodial department is a thankless job, so thanks to all of them.

It's interesting (and a little sad) to note however, that this kind of dedication was commonplace 10 years ago. We wouldn't have batted an eyelash at this incident back then because that was exactly what was expected of Disney castmembers. Nowadays it warrents a thread on MiceChat.

Still, bravo to that cast member and all the rest who try so hard or DCA...as you can see, customers really do notice!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Lover
    It's interesting (and a little sad) to note however, that this kind of dedication was commonplace 10 years ago. We wouldn't have batted an eyelash at this incident back then because that was exactly what was expected of Disney castmembers. Nowadays it warrents a thread on MiceChat.
    That is an interesting point. A talk radio show we used to listen to called this kind of thing "Customer No Service", as we as customers (or guests) have become so used to bad or no service that we accept it and are part of the problem. Not sure I completely agree with that, but there is some merit there.

I just wished I could have thanked him as positive comments can sometimes increase motivation and job satisfaction in an otherwise regular job.
    "Search the boat...."

Do you MiceChat?

I remember standing in line to get in DCA one day and there was a cm at my feet scraping gum off the cement. talk about dedication.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DCADude
    I remember standing in line to get in DCA one day and there was a cm at my feet scraping gum off the cement. talk about dedication.
    That's actually just part of the job description- every custodial CM gets a gum scraper as part of their standard equiptment.

It seems over-the-top, but that is why Disneyland is cleaner than any other theme park- the standards are higher. Many days I would have to drop everything and go backstage and get a mop to clean up a spilled drink or ice cream. Its a lot of work, but its so gross to step in sticky stuff or to see it on the ground. There are 4 mamagers who roam the park all day long with walkie talkies looking for messes that need to be cleaned up.

Cusdotial is definitely the least glamorous job in the park- all the other CM's treat you like crap and think that custodial is there to clean up after them also. Attractions CM's think that the park wouldn't run without them, but custodial is just as important or more so because parents with kids notice the difference and a lot of people feel more comfortable there than anywhere because it feels so clean and well taken care of.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Hat's off to the Custodial staff! They may not be noticed much but they are appreciated in the biggest way!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara
    We saw this the other night on Main St. It was very very cool! Just something else that sets the park apart!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Lover
    ...as you can see, customers really do notice!
    "Guests", my man, guests!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast