Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disneyland's Music, I Can't Get Enough

I am not fortunate enough to live near the Disneyland Resort, so I resort to living vicariously through those MiceChatters who are lucky enough to be able to visit often, and thankfullly, who take lots of pictures.

One way I satisfy my Disneyland fix is by listening to music from the park. Currently, my Disneyland section of iTunes includes the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Park Exclusive, DL Park: The Official Album, A Musical History of Disneyland, and even a Disneyland Forever cd i made back in the day when DL had those custom CD machines. All of those albums are great, but I can't help but feel that there's more out there just waiting to be discovered.

For example, I recently compiled a playlist for DCA area music that included the music played in the Condor Flats, Hollywood, and Paradise Pier Areas by finding the song lists on the internet and downloading them on iTunes. Though a lot of the music on those lists is either different than what is available on the internet, or completely unavailable/super hard to find.

Anyway, enough of my blabbing. Now is when I'd like to open up conversation about people's favorite Disneyland music, and tips about finding some of the music that is hard to find (for example, in Pirates, the banjo guy now plays some music from the movie soundtracks, and I'd love to get my ears on that).

Happy Chatting!
    Last edited by tikibob24; 03-12-2008 at 10:15 PM.

• =)

Re: Disneyland's Music, I Can't Get Enough

Disneyland music is, on the whole, amazing. Part of this is, I'm sure, the nostalgic connections...but honestly, Disney has a habit of picking great music for attractions and areas. Michael Giacchino's work for Space Mountain is one of my current favorites, with the officially unreleased lift hill music being even more impressive than the faster material for the coaster itself.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I love the music too!

Although I have to say, does anyone else feel that at DCA, the music feels a lot more forced than it does in Disneyland? In Disneyland, there are several areas where you have nothing but atmosphere sounds that completely create the feel for it. DCA often goes a tad overboard with the soundtrack.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Pick Up "A Musical History of Disneyland" a 6 CD set that includes most of the best music from the Disneyland past and present.

I didn't know that Michael Giacchino did the new Space song. That's awesome. I love his music in The Incredibles. Maybe he'll do some more music for the some of the new DCA rides.

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Pick Up "A Musical History of Disneyland" a 6 CD set that includes most of the best music from the Disneyland past and present.
    Yeah, I love that set. I'm listening to it currently. The book it came with is pretty cool too.

• =)

One of my most ironic must-haves is the abbreviated re-recording of POTC: TCOTBP's "The Medallion Calls" now used in the battle scene in the ride. I can't stand its use in the attraction for the following reasons:

* It's supposed to sound more humorously grandiose than action-packed and exciting.
    * Most of it is a leitmotif for Jack Sparrow, who isn't even featured in the scene.
    * The music leaks into the next scene quite badly.
    * Sonically, the scene had a lovely starkness to it before. It was the start of a musicless buffer zone between the orchestral score of the lower grotto and the later outburst of "Yo Ho."

BUT--and it's a big "but"--I love the re-recording. In some ways, it sounds superior to the original, and I'd really love to hear it without sound effects, in CD-quality audio, on my Sony MDR-7506 headphones and really enjoy it with all the guilty pleasure of a Monte Cristo from the Blue Bayou.

Unfortunately, I don't want the new lower grotto music outside of the ride any more than I want it inside the ride. :

I didn't know that Michael Giacchino did the new Space song. That's awesome. I love his music in The Incredibles. Maybe he'll do some more music for the some of the new DCA rides.
    Yup, that was him. He really did a great job. (Just a small nitpick, though--it's not a song. A song is sung. This is just a piece of music. )

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I love the music too!

Although I have to say, does anyone else feel that at DCA, the music feels a lot more forced than it does in Disneyland? In Disneyland, there are several areas where you have nothing but atmosphere sounds that completely create the feel for it. DCA often goes a tad overboard with the soundtrack.
    I can't stand that carnival music over at the boardwalk. It makes me feel like I'm on drugs!

Love "Soarin'" though...

Well, as far as music associated with Disneyland goes, I really do love the Fantasmic soundtrack. If people could have theme songs, that might be mine -- well, that or else Baroque Hoedown, which I also love, and which sounds a little sillier and less impressive - more accurately like myself. Those, the Haunted Mansion score are probably my favourite musical parts of the park.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• future rockstar/imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    i just bought this last night! i cant wait for it to come in!

right as we speak im listening to my DL soundtrack!

Thats why I have 50GB's worth! =D

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Yup, that was him. He really did a great job. (Just a small nitpick, though--it's not a song. A song is sung. This is just a piece of music. )
    Technically, it's called a "Cue."

• =)

Technically, it's called a "Cue."
    For film and television scores, yes. But I've never heard the term used for music written for a theme park attraction. And technically, "cue" shouldn't be capitalized.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    For film and television scores, yes. But I've never heard the term used for music written for a theme park attraction. And technically, "cue" shouldn't be capitalized.

I imagine 'cue' applies for theme park attractions as well. They're like movies anyway... but in real life.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Special Agent

The ultra-rare and hard to find stuff is ultra-rare and hard to find for a reason.

There is a great board where you can ask any questions and discuss Disney park music over at: http://www.magicmusic.net/

Another good website to listen to park music is http://www.subsonicradio.com/

Space Mountain is fun, but really dangerous to listen to in the car (although the exit music captures most of the same themes in a much slower pace).

Lately as far as Disney park music goes, I've been listening to the original 1964 world's fair tracks. Especially Small World. Love the Small World.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast