Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Walt's favorite ride

This is like those threads where you guess what Walt would think about such and such. Unless it's written down somewhere, we will never ever know what his favorite ride was.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Walt's favorite ride

I was wondering if Steve would swoop in and answer this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    More interactive? More dramatic? Clearly you've never operated a steam locomotive.

Trains are what led Walt to create the Park--they were Disney's true passion. As Tech notes, Walt kept striped railroad overalls in his firehouse apartment. These were once on display at Retlaw in the Valley. I assume they will be once again displayed in the Walt Disney Family Museum.

...But the fact is, Disneyland was built so that Walt Disney could live out his passion in life, and be an engineer.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I was wondering if Steve would swoop in and answer this one?
    Just as sure as your puppy has chewed up something you really liked!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 03-13-2008 at 03:29 PM.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    This is like those threads where you guess what Walt would think about such and such. Unless it's written down somewhere, we will never ever know what his favorite ride was.
    You're mistaken. We don't need to have every single dang thing "written down" to know the man, and know where his true passion lay.

Please show me quotes where he talked at length (not just sound bites or in promotional clips meant to highlight certain attractions that were about to open) about his love for any other attraction. Here are a few about his love of trains and railroads:

I suppose I've always loved trains.
    Emphasis added.

It should look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train.
    Emphasis added.

Then Disneyland Park came along [yes, he called it Disneyland park in 1965]. I had the excitement of creating an honest-to-goodness railroad--well, 5/8 th scale anyway--the Disneyland & Santa Fe.
    Emphasis added.

[I]t [the Carolwood Pacific] spawned the busy little railroad here In Disneyland and is somehow tied up emotionally with my boyhood experiences as a newsbutcher
    Emphasis added.

Yes, in one way or another I have always loved trains.
    I would be interested in reading or seeing other quotes or statements about how Walt "loves" any other attraction in the Park, or how he is tied up in any other one emotionally.

It's a FACT that Walt Disney's passion for trains was key to Disneyland becoming reality.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Just as sure as your puppy has chewed up something you really liked!
    So far, just one tall houseplant that I'd had for decades! I wasn't that fond of the living room carpet and luckily we got that solved before there was a big tear or hole (thanks to a can of spray!)

• "I Break Things"

I do not doubt you Steve, in fact I agree with you, the other 2 as I said would be Jungle and Mark Twain.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

I'll guess that Walt's favorite was Disneyland Railroad. Mark Twain probably would've been his 2nd favorite. I'm totally throwing that one out there.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

You're mistaken. We don't need to have every single dang thing "written down" to know the man, and know where his true passion lay.

Please show me quotes where he talked at length (not just sound bites or in promotional clips meant to highlight certain attractions that were about to open) about his love for any other attraction. Here are a few about his love of trains and railroads:

Emphasis added.

Emphasis added.

Emphasis added.

Emphasis added.

I would be interested in reading or seeing other quotes or statements about how Walt "loves" any other attraction in the Park, or how he is tied up in any other one emotionally.

It's a FACT that Walt Disney's passion for trains was key to Disneyland becoming reality.

Well, I guess you told me!!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So far, just one tall houseplant that I'd had for decades! I wasn't that fond of the living room carpet and luckily we got that solved before there was a big tear or hole (thanks to a can of spray!)
    I got a pretty big tooth hole in the sleeve of my $200 A-2 leather flight jacket from my mutt "Jerry."

It's sort of a cherished "battle scar" now.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I do not doubt you Steve, in fact I agree with you, the other 2 as I said would be Jungle and Mark Twain.
    I'm no Walt Disney expert or biographer. I like to think he enjoyed Tiki or Jungle or the Twain as any other guest--maybe more, since he owned/built them. But the overwhelming evidence of his love for trains leads to no other conclusion than that his first love was the Disneyland Railroad.

Skip--honestly curious: Any stories of him every skippering a JC boat? Dish!

• "I Break Things"

I'm no Walt Disney expert or biographer. I like to think he enjoyed Tiki or Jungle or the Twain as any other guest--maybe more, since he owned/built them. But the overwhelming evidence of his love for trains leads to no other conclusion than that his first love was the Disneyland Railroad.

Skip--honestly curious: Any stories of him every skippering a JC boat? Dish!
    If you read the thread then you would see I defended that position and said explicitly that he favored the train first and foremost. Aside from publicity shots and stories from the grandkids, nothing about him being an actual Skipper. In speaking with the Skips from the first few years, his preference seemed to be sitting towards the back in hopes of not disrupting the tour.

As I said aside from publicity shots nothing mentioned of him being a Skip. The center one is of him with the PM of India, not sure but he may have Skipped that boat.

Completely off topic but Nixon's press secretary was a Skip, and supposedly when Nixon visited at one point he made his secretary do the spiel.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Well, I guess you told me!!
    I didn't tell you anything.

Walt Disney did.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 03-14-2008 at 05:53 AM.

• Small Worlds of Walt

He was crazy about railroading, and even penned a magazine article for Railroad magazine shortly before he died about that passion.
    Really!? Do you have a copy Steve?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F View Post
    Really!? Do you have a copy Steve?
    I have a copy. Maybe I'll try to scan it in this weekend.

Blog Entries

Like I said, on those bad days there were 3 specific places you could find him... Trains, Jungle, or the deck of the Mark Twain. I think part of the appeal of Jungle was the immersive environment, and the pride of a job well done.
    I can't even imagine how intimidating it would be knowing Walt was sitting on the back of that boat wanting to be entertained by your spiel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast