• Minion

Question mystery of the blacklight bears

Today my mind began to wander and I started to think about the country bears. All I can remember is the talking moose and that fun house thing filled with blacklight. I also have flash backs of my dad and I crawling threw small doors and things like that. This must have been a long time ago being that my memories are so poor.

I don't even know if these memories are from Disneyland!

so I'm calling all Mice chatters to solve the mystery of the black light bears. Help complete my memory with pictures, a description of the attraction, and anything else you think can jog my memory.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: mystery of the blacklight bears

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    Today my mind began to wander and I started to think about the country bears. All I can remember is the talking moose and that fun house thing filled with blacklight. I also have flash backs of my dad and I crawling threw small doors and things like that. This must have been a long time ago being that my memories are so poor.

I don't even know if these memories are from Disneyland!

so I'm calling all Mice chatters to solve the mystery of the black light bears. Help complete my memory with pictures, a description of the attraction, and anything else you think can jog my memory.
    That sounds like something they used to have at Knotts. Not sure, though.

• Minion

yeah I haven't found anything on the net that is familiar. hmmm

• Thanks, Ollie

Yeah, the crawl through thing used to be in Camp Snoopy at Knott's. I've mixed those memories up before too.

• "I Break Things"

I think you have a combination of the Country Bears and the Haunted Shack... both of which I really really miss.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The moose is definitely from Country Bear Jamboree. His name is Melvin. He hung on the wall with Buff the buffalo and Max the elk. But the attraction was just a show you sat and watched... animatronic bears performed country tunes. I'm so glad it's still at WDW as it's one of my faves.

The rest does sound kind of like Knott's Beary Tales. But that was a dark ride, not a funhouse.

• =)

And Knott's Beary Tales is also gone...and moreover, it was replaced by an attraction that is now gone, too... Boy, I do miss Kingdom of the Dinosaurs in all its chintzy glory.

• Minion

OMG THAT THING SCARED ME! I remember thinking as a kid..."I want to go to disneyland" Even then I was a total loyalist.

• Lackey

Knott's Beary Tales was the blacklight bears part. Fun house in Camp Snoopy was the crawling part. Check www.bear-ytales.net to see some of it - great Knott's nostalgia of KBT, Haunted Shack, Kingdom of Dinosaurs...
    Melvin and other busts from Country Bear Jamboree hang in the Pooh ride (same location, they just couldn't leave their home!) if you look backward after going through the doorway (hanging over the door) as you enter one of the rooms - I forgot which room, but I'm sure someone here will know.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

As you leave the Heffalumps and Woozles room, and enter the Hunny Dream room, turn around and look up. You'll find Max, Buff, and Melvin hanging up there.

And I, too, miss Kingdom of the Dinosaurs. It was one of my favorite rides of all time, because you got to see dinosaurs. I did, and still do, absolutely love dinosaurs. I also remember crawling around through the Fun House as a kid. Great memories...

• Lackey

Thanx. I went blank on the room and their names.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• Roar!

wasn't the funhuse filled with left over show scenes from beary tales after KOD took over? i have a vivid memory of seeing a bunch of bears selling pies out of a truck, and then having to walk up some stairs and seeing that same scene from above. i've enver been on beary tales. and wasn't the whole thing called the beary tale funhouse? can someone explain the whole history of this? was this where some of the ride scenes went after KOD kicked out the bears, or were these two attractions open at the same time? also i don't know if this is the official name but i remember calling the frog crawling tunnels "frog holes."

• Minion

no clue but I love your avitar.

• Off to Neverland

don't think it's wat ur talking about but...

Quote Originally Posted by matterhornmaniac View Post
    wasn't the funhuse filled with left over show scenes from beary tales after KOD took over? i have a vivid memory of seeing a bunch of bears selling pies out of a truck, and then having to walk up some stairs and seeing that same scene from above. i've enver been on beary tales. and wasn't the whole thing called the beary tale funhouse? can someone explain the whole history of this? was this where some of the ride scenes went after KOD kicked out the bears?
    Yes, they moved some of the Bear-y Tales set pieces to the clubhouse. The frogs, the pie-making machine, etc. were transplanted from the ride. Now it's Camp Snoopy-themed, and I can't remember if there's anything left from the Bears or not anymore. It's been a while since I was in there.