Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Planning a trip and need some advice from DLR experts, lol

Ok, we are thinking about surprising the kids with a trip to Disneyland. We are just not sure when to go. We will stay for 8-10 days as we also would like to do Knotts, Universal, etc.

My first question is when to go. We can't go May 14 to May 31 as we have a farm with horses and my parents (who look after the farm while we are away) will be away in Ireland visiting family. Darn them for booking a trip before I did, lol.

So, we are looking for anytime between approx April 15 (not sure of this date as my son has soccer tryouts the first few weeks of April) to May 13 (returning this day) or June 1 to 11. We don't care about rain, we are from BC, Canada, lol. We just want the least busiest time.

The last time we went (March 3-13, 2006) we stayed at the BWPPI and loved it but it is booked til end of may. If we go in April or may we would need to stay elsewhere. We loved the big suite and the fridge was very handy.

The Park Vue seems nice, but would it be booked too? I like the big suites it has to offer.

Location is the key factor for us, we like to be as close as possible. We like to go back during the day if possible but with 2 boys 14 and 12 1/2 they don't get tired easy, (just me, lol). We would prefer $150 a night or less but not too cheap as we do like some comfort and to be clean.

So, my questions are - When to go and where to stay.....

Thanks all.
    Lori

• "I Break Things"

Re: Planning a trip and need some advice from DLR experts, lol

April... no clue on where to stay
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'd go with the earlier date.

As for hotels unfortinately I can't be of much help there. Being a local I'm not too familiar with the hotels there other than the fact that -- at least as far as the three on property hotels are concerned -- there are much nicer hotels you can stay at in Orange County for the same price.

The others definitely will help you with the hotel question.

Welcome to Micechat!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Welcome to Micechat. My suggestions are that you take a look at the So. Cal. Hotel Reviews to get some hotel choices/reviews:

http://micechat.com/forums/forumdisp...views-260.html

Weather wise I would rather go in April since it is not as hot. As far as when it is going to be busy, try this thread:

http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...008-86961.html

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the links pratt!!! Great advice! Also give a look at:

http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...dlr-83130.html

I've stayed at both the Park Vue and the Anahiem Plaza. Since April is so close both may be booked and the closer to the time you want to stay the higher the prices are, but both are usually reasonable.

I had no issues with either one. Both the staff was very friendly and helpful, both are close (Park Vue being right across Harbor), but both are just very basic, no frills places. The Anaheim Plaza is an older place, but both times I stayed there the rooms were a very nice size, clean and comfortable.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I'm planning a trip in sept and using expedia. I like their hotel rates (way cheeper than anyone elses) for the same hotel and I personally think being right across the street is a good idea. I've never stayed at the carousel but they are right across the street from the entrance and have nice looking rooms from the pictures. My advice, fly into john wayne, take the disneyland resort and area shuttle (at the airport). I few into LAX and took speedy shuttle, stayed far from the hotel and found all of this to be of poor descision, very poor. LAX, waiting in the polluted underground for over an hour for my shuttle made me sick. The shuttle driver was really unpleasent, they are not happy people generally. The hotel was too far and the bus system filled with creepy people at night.

If you are renting a car I think all of that could be avoided. It wouldn't matter where you stayed. ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) bus for local resorts to the park is fine but the wait is long, that's why I want to stay in short walking distance.

Also because I like the benifit of early morning little or no lines, and seeing Fantasmic and the fireworks at night. Being thier 16 hours just wears me down but that way I can walk back to the hotel and rest.

At least that's my battle plan for the next time I go. I wont make the same mistakes again.

Aloha!
    Tara

We stay at The Carousel just about every time we go.

Smile Re: Planning a trip and need some advice from DLR experts, lol

• Silent Lucidity

During the last two DL vacations we stayed at the Tropicana. We have stayed at BWPPI, Carousel, Park Vue, Ramada and Crowne Plaza. Our only repeat has been the Tropicana, three times now. We prefer to stay across the street. Definatley agree that an afternoon break is the only way to go, and when you do not rely on any transportation, you have no schedule!! I think the BWPPI, Carousel and Tropicana are similar in quality. The Park Vue was a little less, didn't feel clean.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

June isn't as hot as some people here are saying it is. The last quarter might be warm, but it won't be hot.

The locals have a term for the weather that is common in June, which is referred to as the "June gloom". Basically this is characterized by gray overcast skies which last throughout the morning and can linger through much of the day. This doesn't necessarily make things cold but it does tend to keep the temps down a bit. Getting closer to July however, the temps do increase, but 95+ degree days only happen a small handful of times during the summer and I wouldn't worry too much about that. It definitely will not be above 90 in June.

I can't say enough about The Alpine Inn. Close, clean and cheap. LOVE IT!!! Google them and find their website-- it is SO easy.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by arabians4ever View Post
    We don't care about rain, we are from BC, Canada, lol. We just want the least busiest time.
    Rain? What is that?
    No rain is forecast from April until October.
    Anytime two weeks after Easter should be fine. Most schools will be back from Break by then.
    And early June should be fine as well.
    I have no opinion about the hotels.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    I can't say enough about The Alpine Inn. Close, clean and cheap. LOVE IT!!! Google them and find their website-- it is SO easy.
    That place looks nice, I'm going to ask our travel agent about that one next time we go to DLR.

Welcome to Micechat Lori!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Mouse lovin mama

Quote Originally Posted by disneyhound View Post
    During the last two DL vacations we stayed at the Tropicana. We have stayed at BWPPI, Carousel, Park Vue, Ramada and Crowne Plaza. Our only repeat has been the Tropicana, three times now. We prefer to stay across the street. Definatley agree that an afternoon break is the only way to go, and when you do not rely on any transportation, you have no schedule!! I think the BWPPI, Carousel and Tropicana are similar in quality. The Park Vue was a little less, didn't feel clean.
    Like Disneyhound, we are repeat Tropicana guests. It's so nice to get across the crosswalk and be at your room.

We booked a trip April 24-28th out of Portland, with the Kids Fly Free deal on Alaska Air and the 2 extra days in the park for the price of 3. This coupled with wanting to go between Spring Break and school getting out made it a no-brainer for us.

Wow, thanks for all the great tips, links and Welcomes. I have been lurking for awhile and thought it was time for me to post something, lol

I am really torn about when to go. We like the idea of less crowds so the beginning of May sounds really good, but we would love to be able to ride Toy Story Mania which of course doesn't open til the end of May. Plus my boys love the Simpsons so we were hoping that it would be open at Universal by the time we went. I just dont want to go the first week of june and spend all my time in lines but being able to ride Toy Story at least once would be nice. lol

I have lots of ideas on hotels, just need to do some more reading on them.

Thanks again everybody, and please keep the ideas coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast